Hey guys, so I'm really interested in getting into bass after playing guitar for a few years and I've been looking around at my local music shops and there are two bass packs that caught my eye: the Ibanez GSR190 P/J jumpstart pack and the Fender Squier Affinity Jazz bass pack.

I like to play a lot of different styles of music. Coheed and Cambria being my favorite band I like a lot of rock styles (metal, punk, prog, alt, you get the idea), but also some jazz. I'm also a pretty big dude so, I'd want something that would fit my hands well.

All in all I'm looking for which bass would suit my music preferences and my fit (large hands), as well as which is the better constructed bass.

Any help would be awesome
Last edited by dudeman2690 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd take the GSR190 pack.

Can you give a reason why? Is it better than the Squier?
I'd take the Squier...then again I'm a Fender elitist.

However, Mic from Coheed uses Fenders exclusively...so..yeah...be like him.

/peer pressure.
i'd take the squier because 4 years ago or there abouts i bought a squier jazz bass and i still use it more than any other bass i own.

also i'm a fender elitist with a distaste for ibanez' tiny size. i like my basses to have some substance to them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'd say the Ibanez starter basses are better than the Squier Affinity series, but you never know, I may well have just played a rubbish Squier P. When you get to the more expensive Squier stuff, then that's probably better, but I haven't looked into Ibanez basses much past the GSR range.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
The more expensive Squiers are great... Affinities and Standards not so much.

Ibanez
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Ivanator
The more expensive Squiers are great... Affinities and Standards not so much.

Ibanez

my main bass is a squier standard and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. it plays and sounds better than any MIM i've played
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
go with Ibanez. now, regularly, I wouldn't advise this, but Squier is so terrible, almost any bass would be better.
STRAIGHT EDGE

I have chosen this path...

not to fit a mold,

not to join a trend,

not to follow a crowd,

but because it is right for me

XXX
I would normally say get a squier, but that's an affinity series. The GSR190 has much less of a chance of being funked, and Ibanez tends to have better packs anyway. This is coming from someone whos main bass is still a $200 squier.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I would normally say get a squier, but that's an affinity series. The GSR190 has much less of a chance of being funked, and Ibanez tends to have better packs anyway. This is coming from someone whos main bass is still a $200 squier.

this.

I turned down an affinity for an Ibanez. the Squier didn't feel right.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The difference between ibanez's and fender squiers is really kind of the same as for guitars - ibanezes have "faster" necks, squiers have a bit more character. the tone will prob. be a bit better on the squier i'd imagine, also learning to play a bass with a thicker, more standard size neck and body weight.

However, I'm tempted to go with the ibanez this time - not having 24 frets is pissing me off just now (I have a cheap P bass copy).

I don't know though - I mean, I have this aching feeling Ibanezes aren't "proper" basses - bass is meant to take physical effort to play and it's not all about playing as many notes as possible. I don't know if you'll get a good Idea about the like, inner soul of bass with an ibanez. it might just seem like a 4 string guitar you can slap. I don't know, any oppinions from people who's 1st bass was an ibanez?
yes.

you cannot be more wrong.

agathis and maple together make a sound that is bright yet transparent, allowing the pickups to be even more in charge of what's going on. many people like that, many don't. but, soundwise, it allows anyone to dial in a cheap version of their favorite tone when combined with a decent EQ.

like any starter set up, it will not be perfect. but for a first bass, it just needs to be able to fit the player.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by goest
However, Mic from Coheed uses Fenders exclusively...so..yeah...be like him.

He also uses spector, but I haven't seen one recently. I don't know if he is all Fender now.
Edit: To TS Id take the Ibanez. Squire makes great products so thats alsono a bad choice, but I think Ibanez makes better low lower end, now I'd take a Squire VM Jazz over any lower end Ibanez.
Edit2:Also nice choice in favorite band.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Jan 28, 2009,
i have owned both the Squier P-Bass, and an Ibanez GSR190 jumpstart pack.....i currently use the Ibanez......

Honestly id say both basses are great starter/intermediate instruments, but i like the ibanez better. having the split and the jazz pickup is nice, and the neck is WONDERFUL.
Quote by the humanity

agathis and maple

I thought the affinity models had alder bodies; but I checked on their website - the ones in the starter packs are agithis and the ones sold on their own are alder,

haha, Now that you mention it, I looked up the two on their websites - the Ibanez doesn't even have 24 frets - the one I played was a similar bodyshape but had 24 frets and a humbucker where the single coil is - it must be a higher priced model... But I can't find it on their website...
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by jimRH7
I thought the affinity models had alder bodies; but I checked on their website - the ones in the starter packs are agithis and the ones sold on their own are alder,

haha, Now that you mention it, I looked up the two on their websites - the Ibanez doesn't even have 24 frets - the one I played was a similar bodyshape but had 24 frets and a humbucker where the single coil is - it must be a higher priced model... But I can't find it on their website...

I was referring to the Ibanez.

hmmm. may be a mod. or SRX?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I was referring to the Ibanez.

hmmm. may be a mod. or SRX?

I don't think it was a mod - It's got 1 p bass and 1 humbucker, and a maple fretboard i think. I think it was like, a low end sig of somebodie's?

come to think of it; It's my drummer's bass. It's ironic that my drummer has a better bass than I do...

actually, I think that starter pack ibanez one might be the same one the bassist uses (I sing in this band), if so; I've played it, it's decent, porb. better than the squier in fact.
If it was me, I'd get the Ibanez, as I have a gsr200 (its almost the same as the 190), and I think that Ibanez does a great job in its lower price range. Squires are fine, but the affinity series makes me a little leery.

Play both, pick the one which feels better to you. Thats the best way to choose
Squier VM or CV series would be better than the Ibanez. I have the VM Jazz Fretless and by god I love it! But the affinity series is eh... so-so. I started on the Ibanez GSR190 starter pack. Worked fine for me. I just upgraded from one starter bass to another. It is a great bass, can definitely take a beating, sounds just fine. It's great to start on.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Well thanks for all the assistance guys. I went back to my store, played both of them and had the clerk play them for me (since he's a bassist himself) and I've decided to go with the Ibanez, based on my personal likings.

So thanks for all the help!

-Dudeman
How about you go to a shop and try out a couple $200 dollar basses?

You could get a small 10 watt practice amp for about $80. Its better that you actually play

play the bass first, and not buy a bass in a box stacked up in the corner of some snobby store.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Quote by smoots
How about you go to a shop and try out a couple $200 dollar basses?

You could get a small 10 watt practice amp for about $80. Its better that you actually play

play the bass first, and not buy a bass in a box stacked up in the corner of some snobby store.

I did. If you look in the post right above yours I said I played them and he played them so I could hear what a more advanced player sounds like first hand (since i've never even touched a bass before and sounded crappy)

Oh, and the guitar itself is around $200, the included amp being around $80 so..basically I'm doing what you said to do already lol
I got the Ibanez one about 2 1/2 years ago. The only issue I had was bum output jack, and now the humbucker hums a little bit. Stays is tune for a very long time, and the little amp it comes with sounds pretty good. Plus, if you register it, you get a free DVD with Paul Gilbert lessons on it. What's cooler than that?