So i've nearly finished building a guitar that i'm putting putting an emg 81 in the bridge then an emg 89 in the neck.

Apart from the 18v mod is there anything else i should know about using them or getting the best sound quality of them.

I've read that unlike some other pickups that the volume control with emgs can change/help your sound drastically. Any other tricks or tips i should know? Or specific volume/tone settings for certain things (like getting a really stratty sound with the 89 etc)
Set the 81 in the bridge as close to the strings as you prefer. EMG's can be set a lot closer because of the weaker magnet in them. Once you do that then adjust the 89 in the neck to the appropriate height so there is no volume difference between the 2 pickups when switched back and forth between them. Thats about it
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Set the 81 in the bridge as close to the strings as you prefer. EMG's can be set a lot closer because of the weaker magnet in them. Once you do that then adjust the 89 in the neck to the appropriate height so there is no volume difference between the 2 pickups when switched back and forth between them. Thats about it

All true but EMG's still have that "sweet spot" so too high can sound very sterile (just like the haters say) so play with your Pup height until you fin the sound your looking for.
If you're gonna get the 89 in the neck for the single coil option then I'd suggest you install a 81TW for the same reason.

It would just give you more sound options which are always good for future experimentation.