My most favorite songs tend to be ones where the music starts slow and quiet, usually played by an acoustic, and suddenly a loud guitar bang comes it.
This is very common for a Hard Rock or an alternative song.
It's rarely seen in heavy metal to be honest, but the most obvious example would be One by Metallica.

Led Zeppelin had Acoustic ballad>Heavy Metal>Acoustic ballad songs like Ramble on and Over the Hills and Far Away.
Other songs, Stairway to Heaven, have the most beautiful 4 minute folk line by Jimmy Page, which leads to the greatest guitar solo and ends Heavy Metal in a sense.

The Foo Fighters had similar songs: Let it Die, Up In Arms, New Way Home, Deepest Blues are Black, and countless other songs.

This tradition started with Zeppelin originally because they were the first band that fused the most global and ethnical music and heavy metal.

To me strait thrash metal is too much for me at times.
But at the same time I can't stand listening to the Corrs or Sheryl Crow all the time.
I seem to enjoy these "transitional" songs more often than any type of music.

We all seem to look for different values in music.
Your thoughts.
Quote by radomu
My most favorite songs tend to be ones where the music starts slow and quiet, usually played by an acoustic, and suddenly a loud guitar bang comes it.
This is very common for a Hard Rock or an alternative song.
It's rarely seen in heavy metal to be honest, but the most obvious example would be One by Metallica.

Led Zeppelin had Acoustic ballad>Heavy Metal>Acoustic ballad songs like Ramble on and Over the Hills and Far Away.
Other songs, Stairway to Heaven, have the most beautiful 4 minute folk line by Jimmy Page, which leads to the greatest guitar solo and ends Heavy Metal in a sense.

The Foo Fighters had similar songs: Let it Die, Up In Arms, New Way Home, Deepest Blues are Black, and countless other songs.

This tradition started with Zeppelin originally because they were the first band that fused the most global and ethnical music and heavy metal.

To me strait thrash metal is too much for me at times.
But at the same time I can't stand listening to the Corrs or Sheryl Crow all the time.
I seem to enjoy these "transitional" songs more often than any type of music.

We all seem to look for different values in music.
Your thoughts.

My thoughts? You need a question mark after "Your thoughts."
Quote by radomu

Are you kidding?

What about Fight Fire With Fire, Battery, Damage Inc, Fade To Black, To Live Is To Die, And Justice For All, Struggle Within, Hero Of The Day etc... All by Metallica.

What makes Metallica stand way above their peers with a number of other classic bands (I don't need to name them - see Iron Maiden, In Flames early work, etc) is they make proper music, with varying textures of hard and soft, low and high.

This is where some "metal" bands fail. I don't think they get it. They just want to play at 220MPH all the time, never stop to add a break or different feel.

It's all opinion innit.
Last edited by Jackolas at Jan 28, 2009,
Metallica?? Aw com'on boyo!

Cemetery Gates is where it's at.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Quote by Mad Marius
Opeth are the masters of such transitions.

+1
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by Mad Marius

Yes, they know how to make music, and metal, and understand it's heavier if it has a contrast of dark and light, unlike a lot of bands now.
Progressive music is awesome. Dream Theater and Buckethead have a lot of progressive songs, not so much Buckethead though.
my thoughts are that you need to listen to paranoid android by radiohead and see what a real transition song sounds like. and we all know a certain song by queen which does it well.
Not all songs have to have a transitional period to be effective. All songs convey a mood but too many emotions in the music can leave the listener confused as to what point the artist is trying to get across. Although a transition is a good tool to imply a change in feeling, it can be a bad thing. It can counteract everything that has come before it.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
I've posted about 3 times in the thread but something keeps buggaring up. Check out the song Shogun bty Tirivum.
RULE BRITANNIA
breaking benjamin > phobia

almost all the songs on that album have quite-ish verses with exploding choruses, give it a shot.
Oh, speaking of alternative rock, By the Way by Red Hot Chili Peppers sounds like a typical funk rock song, but it does have that feature.
Quote by Mad Marius

They do it better than any contemporary heavy metal band, I agree.
Quote by Jackolas
Yes, they know how to make music, and metal, and understand it's heavier if it has a contrast of dark and light, unlike a lot of bands now.

That's a MASSIVE generalisation
And not in the way you slandered so many bands
But to say music is only 'heavy' with contrast, that's a load of phooey if you ask me
I love the bands that do it, Opeth being the best example to mind

But that doesn't mean Bloodbath aren't heavy, that doesn't mean Kataklysm aren't heavy

They are different styles in a similar vein
There's more than one way to be 'heavy', heck, I consider doom to be heavy and that's slow, often without any change in texture/pace, well, there are exceptions of course, but there always is.
Opeth, which I don't listen to, has the best example after Led Zeppelin.