ok so heres the deal. its a battle of the bands. my band has payed in and won battle of the bands before but this one is different.

our set is ten minutes long

there are 10 bands competing in our heat

we're underage and its in a pub

we have to play atleast one cover

the judges are all people who work at a music store.

given these curcumstances, what advice could you give us? in the way of origionals, we have about 25, but that cant realy be displayed. what cover song would be apropriate for those judges (for example, if we played stairway to heaven they would hate us). your advice is much apresiated.
maiden song?
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
if u had more time..i wulda suggested cemetary gates
maybe hit the lights by metallica? or trapped under ice

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
anything by racer x

if you can go instrumental. i would play somiething like viking Kong.

they would crap them selves.

then again, how good are you guys at your instrumentss?
*Enter Sig Here*
well i guess i should mention that we're a sort of blues hard rock band. me and two girls, so metal isnt realy our tallent. however pink floyd would be good. like empty spaces or young lust..... but what would a bunch of guitar techies really apresiate? (other than metal)
instrumental wise, both singers are good, one sounds like janis joplin the others got this deeper blues voice. the guitarist played at taste of chaos when she was like, 11, and shes sponsered so shes pretty good. drummer isnt amazing though, sorta like meg white. holds a good beat but doesnt do crazy fills. but weve been playing for like 3 years so were pretty good as a group.
money for nothing - dire straits

if you pull it of, they will eat there faces. if not, they will hate you.
*Enter Sig Here*
king of the monsters - racer x (instrumental, but will make someone cum - guaranteed)
let the spirits fly - racer x (not as hard, has singing, awesome melody)
vicarious - tool (dunno if its your thing, awesome but)
black night - deep purple (awesome?)
all torn down - living end (awesome if you can pull it off)
heir apparent - opeth (LOL??!?!??!! instant win)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Play A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater, Thats 24 minutes, so i think it will be enough

What about...

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - 42 min

or

Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree - 43 min
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
after listening to ur stuff, u guys are definately retro ish
so do some van halen or like maybe some pink floyd but heavier pink floyd, or burn by deep purple could be made epic

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Gotta love all the METALLLL suggestions...

I'd advise a Pink Floyd song - there's several that will show off a degree of technical capacity on the part of the singer and guitarist, and they'll also be a very good indication of how you can put emotion into your music.

Money is good - I assume you're the bassist? You might want to rearrange it so that the solos are split by the third verse, rather than coming one after the other, if the guitarist is playing both.
ya know what could be made epic..

beat it by Michael Jackson

think about it.. EVH solo.... *drools*
*Enter Sig Here*
haha what would you guys think of some elo? mr. blue sky? or would i just look gay?
Im sure the music score judges will be more elitist on how you excute the song rather than how much time has been spend finding an obscure band.

To me i would say do a well executed immigrant song but change it up to sort your two singers and add in a guitar solo at the end.

Or if you want to be cool king crimson will blow some minds

And if you have a janis joplin esque singer why not play some big brother and the holding company combination of the two

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kwo8mxPIytA
Man, listening to your stuff I'd say Judas Priest is the way to go!

If you had the time, Victim of Changes would melt their faces... then again you only have 1 guitarist right?

Don't Talk to Strangers - Dio?
judges like originality so find a song that you can comfortably improv with and add your own element.....Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner should take care of it
Knocking On Heavens Door the Gn'R version or Teenage Kicks by the Undertones
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Limelight or Freewill by Rush?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
This thread seems to have turned into people posting their favourite songs...

I reckon you try something along the lines of 'Hush' by Deep Purple, since it's:

1) Relatively popular (Kula Shaker covered it which means it's very well known by most ages)
2) Demands good musicianship and dynamics (so it shows off your skills fully)
3) Ideal for female vocalists (lots of high stuff...)
4) Plenty of room for improvisation
5) Can be adapted to heavier/lighter styles to suit the band's sound

Anything that roughly fits these criteria should work well. My other suggestions wold probably include 'Rock And Roll' by Zep or 'Fairies Wear Boots' by Sabbath.

Best of luck!
I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.

This thread seems to have turned into people posting their favourite songs...

In all seriousness, I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread. But +1 for Pink Floyd and/or Deep Purple.
The Rush songs are hardly my favorite. And they meet all of your 'criteria'.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Play A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater, Thats 24 minutes, so i think it will be enough

I FKIN LOVE TAHAT SONG, TRY ACID RAIN BY LIQUID TENSION EXpERIMENT (petruccis old experimental band)
^^ yes, i agree, you should play a song that no one is good enough to play (excluding the creators)

im sure that would go down awesomely.

as stated somewhere up there, white room - cream

its an awesome song. and in 5/4 or something, so it sounds diff to usual.

demons and wizards (the band) covered white room in a heavy metal/ power metal sorta way if you want to hear a contrasted version.
*Enter Sig Here*
i think Pink Floyd's Money would go down well, that way you have breathing space for time, and can rip out some epic solo's to show yourselves off. since their all muso's im sure they would appreciate that. dont forget though that half the show is getting the crowd involved, so the vocalist is gonna have to be really intense, and in-your-face
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
You should definitely do something upbeat (as in, not depressing) and by Metallica. Overall though, try to make it original so that the judges will remember you when it's time to pick a winner.

I got it: "Citizen Erased" by Muse.
Last edited by Musefan161 at Jan 29, 2009,