Hi all,

I'm very new to this guitar lark (I started playing about 36 hours ago). I'm finding that I'm struggling to hit the correct strings with the pick, which is to be expected. Are there any ways for a complete novice (can just about do A, E and D chords as well as the opening to Good Riddance and the first couple of bars of One) to learn to accurately pick the strings, or will it be one of those things that comes with time?

Also, if I see in a tab something along the lines of this:

- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - 3 3 - - -
- - 2 2 - - -
- - - - - - - -

would I only play the 4th and 5th strings, or are all of them played? My instinct tells me that its only the noted ones, as the rest aren't shown to be open etc.

Thanks (and apologies for so many newbish questions).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
it will come by time i suppose.. practice makes perfect

as for the tab you posted it is indeed only played on the A and D string. you can try and mute the other strings with your index finger of your left hand

put your index finger on all of the strings at the first fret, but don't press them down. then use your other fingers to fret the 2nd and 3rd fret so they ring out.

that way, if you accidentally hit the other strings it's barely audible
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
What can I say apart from practice practice practice! It really just comes with time. One thing that may help is some alternate picking excercises, and maybe try using the Guitar Pro program as you can slow songs down to a speed you're more comfortable playing at and then up the pace once you feel more comfortable. I found this really helped me.

In regards to the tabs you're right in what you are saying, if the other strings were open then it'd be written like

- - 0 0- -
- - 0 0 - -
- - 0 0 - -
- - 3 3 - -
- - 2 2 - -
- - 0 0- -

Hope this helps
Awesome, thanks.

Are there any easy exercises for building up finger dexterity? I'm currently using the ones on justinguitar.com but are there any others?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I've always ignored that. Normally I just hit most of the strings especially when I'm absorbed in my playing.

I think doing scales might help. I've never bothered with exercises either. I just learn a finger-style song and play it or play a few chords.

Have fun 'guitaring'!