So i have been calling around to recording studios up and down the country, trying to see whatson offer for my band to record this summer.

While on the phone to one guy, he was saying that in terms of the CD replication is not the same as duplication. Anyone care to explain?
i think he means after you finish recording, he gives it to you on an origional disk, but he can either burn that disk or make several copies of the origional one, witch will obviously be better quality. i think thats what it means.
i found out.

To Duplicate a CD means to simply burn in it like any other CD, but to Replicate i means the CD is stamped with some glass mould thingy, and is more expensive
That's correct. Replication is far more reliable, and will appear to your customers to be a much more professional product. The two terms are often used interchangeably, but that is due to a lack of information.

Another name, more common I believe, for replication is 'manufactured.'

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
For our first release - though it was a full-length disc - we had 500 manufactured. They were full colour front, full colour disk, shrink-wrapped, bar-coded, etc. They were a totally pro product, and as a result, haven't had any resistance from local shops to sell them. (aside from national chains, etc., but they won't touch you unless you at least have a distro deal....)

I've seen some that have been done as a 'mass burning' kind of thing, and they have a real home-made feel to them.

I guess, too, it depends in part how much you plan on selling them for. If you're going to sell them for a couple of bucks or something, then burns are fine. We sell ours for $10 at shows, and $12 on line and in stores. (essentially, the extra $2 covers whatever consignment fees are charged, or postage)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.