Hey, since I'm pretty new when it comes to building PC's, can anyone take a look at my list and let me know if there's anything in there that doesn't fit? Compatibility issues, power issues etc. I would like to make extra damn sure I've got everything right. Any other suggestions are welcome too.

CPU: Intel Q8200 S775 ($270)
Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-CM ($70)
Video card: 512MB 4870 Generic ($330)
RAM: Kingston 4GB, 2Gx2 800MHz DDR2 non-ECC CL6 DIMM ($70)
HDD: Western Digital SATA II 640GB ($100)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ($90)
PSU: Vantec ION2+ 500W ($60)
DVD: Pioneer 216BK DVD-RW ($40)
+ 120mm fans x2 ($25)
+ assembly ($50)

TOTAL: $1105

Thanks in advance.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
i dont even know what half of that means

looks good though much better than mine... quite alot better...

i need a new computer...
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
All I can think is maybe a larger HDD but its a ton better than mine.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
for me.. it's too cheep for a gaming pc.

usally my gaming pcs end up about 4 - 5k
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
can get it all for cheaper.

i built mine for $1100 including a 22" monitor.

suss out www.eyo.com.au

thats where i got mine from, tiz all fair cheap.
*Enter Sig Here*
I'm getting quotes from a few shops (the prices are from staticice.com.au - search engine for cheapest parts) but I'm told MSY is the cheapest for computer parts.

I think 640GB is a fair size. The one in this is 400GB, and it holds my entire music collection, a few decent-sized games, with PLENTY to spare. If I need more in the future, it shouldn't be a problem. HDD are generally cheap as chips.

Can anyone spot any compatibility issues or am I good to go ahead with it?
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by cyclobs

For 90% of people a PC costing that much would be ridiculous overkill, unless you're someone who likes benchmarking or runs a 30" + monitor, even then.
Quote by cyclobs

Specs-wise, the list I've put together is pretty much the best bang for your buck you can get while running new games like Crysis maxed out. Should last me a couple years I reckon, running the newest games at moderate-high settings.

I'm not a hardcore gamer either, so I don't insist on having very top-of-the-line everything.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
spend more on the mobo and psu man, they're really critical but often overlooked components.

ASUS is a good mobo maker but go for a better model and i can highly recommend corsairs modular power supplys. everything else looks pretty good but unless that assembly charge includes them installing the OS and all your drivers, etc theres no way its worth $50. building a PC is like doing a really really easy lego set, albeit an expensive one
Quote by Hale_91
can get it all for cheaper.

i built mine for $1100 including a 22" monitor.

suss out www.eyo.com.au

thats where i got mine from, tiz all fair cheap.

I checked out that link, and with the parts I listed it adds up to >$1400. :S
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
You need a bigger PSU, and a large HDD. For gaming and media, minimum 1T.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by pwnerer
No... JUst get an external hardrive

Internal > External

They're even cheaper.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

I say spend atleast 100 bucks on "mobo" and I recomend you buy a modular psu preferably from Corsair or you end up having lots of cables doing nothing but laying there doing nothing and make sure it has TWO (2) PCI-E cables for your GPU

You should do fine with 500watts nomatter what other people say but you could go for a 650 like me. I just bought my new PC(about 7 chassi fans btw) and it would do fine with 500 I think and it's better than yours(no brag, just saying)

A regular dual core(around 3Ghz) would be better for gaming and check specs so that the 4870 fits into the chassi because they are very long. I have one myself

*have done lots of edits to this so check it twice :P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Jan 28, 2009,
Get at least a 650W PSU, and if i were you i'd stick with a Dual Core to bring price down.
Most applications for this year, and almost certainly next, dont support quad processing, and so you'd be wasting it, a dual core would actually be faster.

If money is no object, get the fastest quad core u can get, then it'll be more cost effective or a time of say... 5 years.
Video card: 512MB 4870 Generic ($330) ((Get a video card with more RAM))
HDD 1: Western Digital SATA II 200-300GB ($100)
HDD 2: Western Digital SATA II 500GB-1TB
PSU: Vantec ION2+ 500W ($60) ((Atleast 800w+ for effiecent, clean supply of power))
+ 120mm fans x2 ($25)
+ assembly ($50)

EDIT: I could list better specs, but i dont have time to go parts hunting, you would be able to get a faster CPU for not much more money by the way, try the new Intel I7 cores or something like that, i forgot the exact name.

Also TWO HDD's, the smaller SATA II for the operating system and applications and the larger SATA II HDD for file storage, it'll extend the life of them both and also it'll be alot faster.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jan 28, 2009,
^

YOU WON'T NEED more than 600watt PSU if you don't plan on 8 HDD and 10 fans along with everthing else!!!

To TS: How high resolution and detailed grahics do you want in a game? How big screen will you use?

And don't go for Intel i7 CPU if you can't afford it. You will have to step up to a $2-300 for a mobo and extra 100 for RAM and so on.
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
My dad knows what he's doing when it comes to computers, so I could get him to throw it together and save myself $50.

What's wrong with the motherboard and RAM? Kingston and ASUS are good brands from what I understand...?

I've asked around about the Antec 300 fitting the 4870 and from all reports it's fine. On the topic of the 4870, what is the difference between generic/branded? Is it worth the extra dosh to get a branded 4870?

For PSU, I've got half assuring me 500W is fine and half saying more more more, so I've slipped in the Vantec ION2+ ultra quiet SLI 600W instead of the 500W. Any objections? It will give me a bit of room to upgrade.

Why the leaning towards Corsair?
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
GOOD! Kepp it that way!

Corsair is just generally the best according to many but nothing is wrong with Kingston.

About the mobo. Don't underestimate the value of a good one. It's what will keep all of your other components going. See it like the skelleton of your body, without it, everything will collapse.
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Quote by backtothe70s
About the mobo. Don't underestimate the value of a good one. It's what will keep all of your other components going. See it like the skelleton of your body, without it, everything will collapse.

From most reports the ASUS is a good one, and it does everything I need it to... right?
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by Daniel8488
Video card: 512MB 4870 Generic ($330) ((Get a video card with more RAM))
HDD 1: Western Digital SATA II 200-300GB ($100)
HDD 2: Western Digital SATA II 500GB-1TB
PSU: Vantec ION2+ 500W ($60) ((Atleast 800w+ for effiecent, clean supply of power))
+ 120mm fans x2 ($25)
+ assembly ($50)

EDIT: I could list better specs, but i dont have time to go parts hunting, you would be able to get a faster CPU for not much more money by the way, try the new Intel I7 cores or something like that, i forgot the exact name.

Also TWO HDD's, the smaller SATA II for the operating system and applications and the larger SATA II HDD for file storage, it'll extend the life of them both and also it'll be alot faster.

You don't need more than 512MB on the video card, and no you don't need at least 800W either. I agree with the HDD, though.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Stop acting like watts is the only thing that matters in a PSU. You need a high quality one. Get a Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Antec, Seasonic, FSP, OCZ, etc.

Quote by punkman_123
Why the leaning towards Corsair?

Because Corsair makes high quality PSUs. Not all PSUs are equal. The wattage is not a rating of how good it is. It hardly matters. You want to look at the amps on the 12v rail and the brand more than anything.

EDIT: Oh you meant Corsair RAM... Still, get a Corsair PSU.

Oh, and something else. Do you know how to use a screwdriver? Then you can put a computer together. Save yourself $50.

Quote by BlisteringDDj
You don't need more than 512MB on the video card, and no you don't need at least 800W either. I agree with the HDD, though.
Higher end cards are going to have more memory whether you want it or not. If you are playing at high resolutions you will need it. The GPU memory doesn't rate how good the card is. And the wattage doesn't rate how good the PSU is.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jan 28, 2009,
personally i wouldnt recomend getting an ATI video card. i have one and my experience with their driver support and crap sucks. i would get an nVidea Geforce 9800 of some sort. also you are going to want a bigger PSU, id say around 800 watts. also keep in mind if you plan an going multi GPU in the future weather it be SLI or Crossfire, you might want to get a bigger PSU.
Quote by MetalHead324
personally i wouldnt recomend getting an ATI video card. i have one and my experience with their driver support and crap sucks. i would get an nVidea Geforce 9800 of some sort. also you are going to want a bigger PSU, id say around 800 watts. also keep in mind if you plan an going multi GPU in the future weather it be SLI or Crossfire, you might want to get a bigger PSU.

The 4800 series is great and have a better bang for your buck than nvidia's cards. Stick with the 4870.
I'd go ATI also^ 512-1GB should be enough. I'm liking the dual HDD idea someone posted above. +1 to Corsair. A GOOD 600 watt PSU should be plenty.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by Masonpwiley
The 4800 series is great and have a better bang for your buck than nvidia's cards. Stick with the 4870.

yeah im sure its a great card, im just saying from past experience, ATI support sucks. i was kind of looking at that card for a future build too.
Quote by MetalHead324
yeah im sure its a great card, im just saying from past experience, ATI support sucks. i was kind of looking at that card for a future build too.

i would recommend against ati too for the same reason. the driver's are not good. i've had so many problems with them.