Hi i decided to sell my pod xt live for real this time it has good gain but i cant play something like children of bodom i just cant get that high treble and mid tone. i want my new setup to have good cleans bodom distortion - in flames distortion some shred michael romeo yngwie kind of distortion. is there a way i can get this kind of sounds with a setup that costs no more than the pod xt live itself. i watched some people can get good tone with korg px4. cant get tube amp i live in an apartment. just normal amp and pedal (dont say roland cube 30 tried didnt like it and no peavey vypyr cos they havent come to my country yet) so please help me this time i want this nightmare to end
Honestly, if you want decent tone on a budget, that pod XT is as good as it gets. Also, there are small tube amps...

I'd be more willing to blame your current amp. What is it?
Its computer speakers look the pod has good gain more than i can need but not the "type" of distortion i need. its normally just high gain distortion. i cant adjust it to get a crunchy hi gain tone like bodom's. hope you understood what i need.
I could play a 5000$ pedal through computer speakers and it would sound like crap.

Amp time, methinks.
hehe you're right. but even with an amp can i get the tone i want or should i just sell the pod and get a amp with good cleans and another type of pedal?
Quote by webbtje
I could play a 5000$ pedal through computer speakers and it would sound like crap.

Amp time, methinks.

Took you that long to figure out that he wanted an amp?

Get an Orange Tiny Terror.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by webbtje

Amp time, methinks.

+1
Yes a small tube amp will do the job, not only does it give you an extra EQ (to tighten up that distortion) it also provides generally all-round better tone. Everything sounds "flat" from computer speakers to me.

My pod sounds better through my 15watt tube Laney than it does through the PC speakers.

I say get something like a Blackheart Little Giant. More voiced for distortion than the Valve Junior, and you could buy a nice cab with V30s

U can get the blackheart from Thomann.de for like 140 euros, and u cud find a cheap cab on the bay or something.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Took you that long to figure out that he wanted an amp?

And just how was I meant to deduce that he uses PC speakers exclusively from his OP? Internet mind powers? If you're going to be bitchy, do it for a reason.
Quote by webbtje
And just how was I meant to deduce that he uses PC speakers exclusively from his OP? Internet mind powers? If you're going to be bitchy, do it for a reason.

Most people buy a pod so they don't need an amp, hence using non-guitar speakers.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
Most people buy a pod so they don't need an amp, hence using non-guitar speakers.

No. They're multi-effects.

Designed to be in the effect loop of an amp.

AMPLIFIER. They are not intended for PC speakers. Most people realize that PC speakers are nowhere near calibrated to reproduce the sounds and complexities of a guitar properly, so they use the PODs properly.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 28, 2009,
Maybe a Peavey Vypyr or roland cube. I don't know much about pods but I would get the vypyr or cube, just depends on which one you prfer in terms of amp models and sound quality.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
what computer speakers do you have now? they might be to blame

EDIT: also, PM me your email if you want, ill send you some pod tones. do you have the metal shop add-on?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 28, 2009,
I have creative 3 inch speaker i pm'd you too.

random B-Rad i explained the situation about cubes and vypyrs in my first post.
Buy some new computer speakers. Or buy a guitar speaker and some wood and make a 112 or 115 cab to plug your pod into.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
Buy some new computer speakers. Or buy a guitar speaker and some wood and make a 112 or 115 cab to plug your pod into.

you cant plug a pod straight into a guitar speaker, you also need amplification.

to the TS, buy some studio monitors, you'll be a lot happier. you can get a pair of M-audio studiophiles for like 100-150 bucks. those are the kind of speakers that are meant to be used with stuff like the POD
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by blind.quardian
I will try to find AV 20s or 30s thanks. you sure that would solve my problem:P?

well, maybe/maybe not, but it will make the POD sound better if you hook them up right. if you still just dont think of the pod is for you, then you can bring them back for an amp. did you try out my tones?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by blind.quardian
Hi i decided to sell my pod xt live for real this time it has good gain but i cant play something like children of bodom i just cant get that high treble and mid tone. i want my new setup to have good cleans bodom distortion - in flames distortion some shred michael romeo yngwie kind of distortion. is there a way i can get this kind of sounds with a setup that costs no more than the pod xt live itself. i watched some people can get good tone with korg px4. cant get tube amp i live in an apartment. just normal amp and pedal (dont say roland cube 30 tried didnt like it and no peavey vypyr cos they havent come to my country yet) so please help me this time i want this nightmare to end

what kind of guitar are you using? the wood used to make it as well as the passive/active pickups are going to influence your tone greatly.

personally - i have gotten great sound from a solid mahogany body (check my sigs for the guitars i use) and a MT2 pedal from boss...the MT2 allows you to do alot of adjustment to the signal pre-amp so you can get what you want
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
@nutin:
yep ive mail'd you back they are good but not bodom type its the standart pod gain for me. =) i might wanna buy a korg px4 but it looks so small and i say to myself . my pod should sound even better than this but it doesnt :/
Last edited by blind.quardian at Jan 28, 2009,
Firstly, I'd try your Pod with headphones as these will give the most accurate sound reproduction of what your Pod is trying to do. If it sounds better through headphones then either stick to using headphones with it or buy a couple of decent studio monitors. If the Pod doesn't achieve the sound you want with headphones, it's not going to so try another make. I found the Line 6 gear too digital in nature so perhaps try Digitech as an alternative. The Vox Tonelab is good but very high gain will need an additional pedal to go with it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by .:st.anger:.
what kind of guitar are you using? the wood used to make it as well as the passive/active pickups are going to influence your tone greatly.

Makes bugger all difference compared to the difference an amp makes. Amp creates tone, guitar does nothing but colour it at best.

Good guitar + good amp =

Bad guitar + good amp =

Bad amp + bad guitar =

Bad amp + good guitar =
Well i used the pod through headphones but they were something cheap not like sennheiser anyway. with headphones first i thought it was good but now its too trebly and digital so i will try to change it.

this guys tone is what im after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv3iUbvvyFk he has some good cob covers and uses korg px4...
OK, if you still don't like it with headphones then it seems that, like me, you find Line 6 gear too digital. Check out the Digitech RP range as they are very reasonably priced and the amp models are fantastic. I think the Supermodels disc works with that range too and that is excellent. The Tonelab is ultimately more valve-like but I think you'll need an additional distortion pedal to push it into very high gain. I'd try the Digitech first anyway as I think it's better suited to what you're after and it's also cheaper.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I was going to say that your Pod will sound better thru a tube amp probably then computer speakers.

Because the speaker and power section will round out your tone better and give you what you want frequency and depth wise. New computer speakers will work too I guess....so it's sorted.

No doubt the pod will sound better through tube amps but pod's tones are not what i like. I've also heard that digitech stuff is also too digital so i dont want to be wasting my money going around processors i first had a gt8 now pod and a digitech? well if it will solve my problem i will get it but i need to think about it. and for speakers i will probably buy some m audio's av 20 speakers
try cutting out the bass a bit.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Nah thats not the problem i now have boosted mids and treble so high but still the quality is not there. i will get monitors and new processor. give me some advice for some processors.
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL, or Vox Valvetronix VT30 and upwards.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by blind.quardian
Nah thats not the problem i now have boosted mids and treble so high but still the quality is not there. i will get monitors and new processor. give me some advice for some processors.

didnt you say you had decided on the korg thing?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was going to say that your Pod will sound better thru a tube amp probably then computer speakers.

Because the speaker and power section will round out your tone better and give you what you want frequency and depth wise. New computer speakers will work too I guess....so it's sorted.

+ 1

Ideally, you should be running your Pod through studio monitors, they tend to give the least colouration to the tone that's coming out of the Pod.

If you really want the crunchy distortion described, you're really gonna need to get a tube amp, the dynamics of the tubes contribute greatly towards the tone you're looking for. It's not going to be easy to obtain the sound you're looking for with a modeller.

Alternative, try the Peavy Revalver Mk3, it advertises that its quite faithful in replicating the tone from tube amps, but I'm not entirely sure as I have yet to try it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
didnt you say you had decided on the korg thing?

yea but its nearly impossible to find it and maybe its time for me to have a real amp or a different processor. waiting any kind of advice. i would get a tube amp but they are really expensive in my country (Turkey) and there are not many in the market also i cant play one in my house cos they are loud. Btw i also use my pod with some 5-10 $ headphones. is it normal that the sound comes out too digital with them? anyway waiting advices.
I'm kinda out of my realm but I'm wondering if you can connect that thing directly to a power amp.

I think you are asking a lot of a multi effects pedal.

If you want better sound I think you need to be spending $50 - $100 on headphones not $5 - 10.
hehe thats what i though cheap headphones are not that good so i need a pedal amp or whatever now. guess i will buy a different model processor with some monitors to get a proper sound. again i just want children of bodom , in flames , metallica and neo classical kind of distortion also good clean channels thats all.