I dont think this should go in the only religion thread as it is more about the artifact of the Bible rather than religion.
My queston is that is it true that certain books were left out of the Bible when it was being translated from Hebrew into English as they were seen to be written by insane people, who only thought they had heard messages from God?
Not sure if this is a myth, but if it is true then who gets to decide which books were kept in and which were deemed not worthy of being put in?
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Regardless of whether it's an "artifact" or not it's still going into th religion thread
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
no, no books were left out when "the Bible" as you call it was being translated into English.

Alright, let's review, the old testament is Hebrew, new Testament was Greek. The reason you have controversy over missing books is because of the Council of Nicea where they essentially chose the books that would make up the new testament according to the doctrine they all agreed on, that which pretty much makes up church doctrine today and killed the Monophysites.

EDIT: Council of Nicea is 325 AD, long before English.
lets just conclude the church has been lying at 100mph for as long as it exists .. why not ?

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

There was a counsel of a bunch of the religious leaders of the time who got together and pretty much voted on which books we're reliable and which weren't. The books in the bible are the ones that were part of Jewish scripture the Old Testament and the ones that dated closest to the actually time of Christ. The books that were left out were ones that were written to long after the death of Christ to be trusted. That being said very few people who have truly studied the Bible, Christian or not, consider it a scientific work. Most consider it a combination of persuasive writing, poetry, symbolisms, and genealogies. More to the point a majority of Christian Scholars would agree that it is not the exact word of God, but the attempt of good Christians to record inspirations laid on their hearts by God. The bible shouldn't be considered perfect even by Christians merely a very good tool for study. Sorry for being so long winded :p
they were al high at the time of jesus. that's how they came up with the bible, it's their trip experiences. it's pretty obious, walks on water (it just froze that night and they were all like ' wow dude , check jesus go , he's walking on the water!! ) bush that's burning ( they had to throw away their joints in a hurry because some romans arrived, the bush lit up and they were thinking that it was talking , but it was the romans) etc.
this would be a funny cartoon or sketch actually
Last edited by toine at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by noxiosimitator
lets just conclude the church has been lying at 100mph for as long as it exists .. why not ?

because the church in a very structured form did not exist until maybe 100s AD, Christianity before then was very different from the way it is now, with much regional variation of belief.

God, I hate these threads.
Books where left out when they were first making compiling the bible.
Also The christian*protestant* bible is different from the catholic, Maccabees is the oly chapter i can rember of the top of my head that isn't in both.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Malakian=God
I dont think this should go in the only religion thread as it is more about the artifact of the Bible rather than religion.
My queston is that is it true that certain books were left out of the Bible when it was being translated from Hebrew into English as they were seen to be written by insane people, who only thought they had heard messages from God?
Not sure if this is a myth, but if it is true then who gets to decide which books were kept in and which were deemed not worthy of being put in?

Yes it's true.
Like everything else a bunch of dudes decided at some point.
Religion thread. *reported*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Malakian=God

Yes, there were many possible books that could have been included in the Bible, but Romans wanted to make Christianity universal so to speak as to thread all the heretics out of the religion so they met at the Council of Nicea and chose the books they thought would meet the same Christian "standards." The books they chose came to be known as "The Holy Bible," and it was translated into Latin first.
Quote by eliterun
no, no books were left out when "the Bible" as you call it was being translated into English.

What do you mean, 'as you call it'. It is called Bible. Explain.
hello
I thought this was gonna be about religious artifacts when I read the first line.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by webbtje
How the hell did Ezekiel get in there if they combed out the insane bits?

Definitely one of the most entertaining bits of the bible, and full of controversy. Have you heard about all those alien conspiracies revolving around the book of Ezekiel?
The Bible?

Dumbledore dies in the end.
This is my sig, isn't it

AWESOME?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I never understood Christianity.

A religion that is essentially based on stories about an invisible man that made the universe and a magic zombie that could walk on water and got nailed to a cross.