Page 1 of 2
Obama told people "you can't listen to Limbaugh and get things done."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2009/01/24/obama-tells-congressional-gop-turn-rush-limbaugh-show-will-media-notice

Sorry if this was already a thread, I just found it fascinating.
When a President starts telling you to shut off radio news programs, you should be worried.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
what is limbaugh?

EDIT: nevermind.

-30 coolness points to Obama.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 28, 2009,
people actually listen to rush limbaugh?
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Is there not a political thread for everyone to moan about politics?

Bores me to death to be honest
Rush Limbaugh. He is a conservative radio news program host.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
It has begun...
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Oh, sorry, I found it on a different site and I just searched and picked the first article. I didn't mean to really pick sides, I support my president, but I just thought it was crazy.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
I think Obama should just ignore Limbaugh, because Limbaugh feeds off stuff like this. All he wants is attention, so he says outrageous things (FEMINAZIS blah blah DRIVE BY MEDIA blah blah) to provoke people into arguing with him. He's like a radio troll.

I used to get pissed at how annoying he was, but now I just turn off the radio when he comes on.
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by nexteyenate
people actually listen to rush limbaugh?

Yeah he's like a tsunami of dumbassery.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
This thread isn't about Limbaugh, it's about Obama telling people what to do...
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
I hate Rush Limbaugh, but that really is worrisome
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by deathforyouth

Oh yeah, because presidents telling people what to do is such an abnormality.
Rush Limbaugh practically called for obama's assasination. The guy is a complete jack ass and his only listeners are dumb ****ing retired redneck people who think minorities are the reason their social security checks are shrinking. Bush was doing his best to keep money in peoples pockets by waging war on terror, unfortunately all the illegal immigrants are the reason for our countries economic status.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by deathforyouth
Obama told people "you can't listen to Limbaugh and get things done."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2009/01/24/obama-tells-congressional-gop-turn-rush-limbaugh-show-will-media-notice

Sorry if this was already a thread, I just found it fascinating.
When a President starts telling you to shut off radio news programs, you should be worried.

Aside from that being one of the most biased pieces of "journalism" I've read, your "worries" are ill-founded, at best. He's not banning Limbaugh or anything like that. I've said the same thing to many people before--does that mean I'm advocating extreme censorship and government dictation of the media? No--it means I find Limbaugh irritating.

Everyone has opinions, even politicians. I see nothing wrong with his statement.

EDIT: oh my God. I can't believe this. If any of you look at what he said, he didn't tell American's what to do. He was addressing Congress, and at that, he wasn't telling anyone what they can or cannot do. He said "You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done." That is NOT a command, it's a statement of opinion.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jan 28, 2009,
^It doesn't matter, it is a news program...that would be like Bush telling people to turn off MSNBC or else he will have a problem with them. Everyone would be freaking out if that happened.

EDIT: He said turn off Limbaugh or you won't get along with my party. A president isn't supposed to say such things.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
Last edited by deathforyouth at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by deathforyouth
Did you read the article? He made a suggestion to Republican congressmen for the sake of progression. It's not about telling people what to do, no direct "Do not" was issued.
Quote by Kensai
Oh yeah, because presidents telling people what to do is such an abnormality.

yet again, here speaks the voice of reason. if gordon brown told me to turn off chris moyles, i wouldn't go round like 'OH EM GEE WHUT DUZ I DO I C4NT H4Z T3H RADIO ON!!'
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
No rush is not a "news" program, he twists **** so far right that it isn't even funny he is a hate filled dousche bag. Anyone who listens to Rush for news is a complete ****ing idiot.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by deathforyouth
^It doesn't matter, it is a news program...that would be like Bush telling people to turn off MSNBC or else he will have a problem with them. Everyone would be freaking out if that happened.

You probably think Bill Maher and Jon Stewart host news programs too, don't you? Rush Limbaugh has FAR more bias than MSNBC could ever wish for--on top of that, he's an entertainer. His goal is to be outrageous and rile people up. He is NOT a credible news source, and anyone interested in objectivity, be they conservative, liberal, moderate, whatever, would tell you the exact same thing.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by deathforyouth

He didn't tell people not to listen to Limbaugh, he made a cause and effect argument: if you just listen to Limbaugh, then you can't get things done.

Will people misread it? Yeah, you just did. Will people read it correctly and still be offended? Yeah probably (though if you're smart enough to read for context you probably don't like Limbaugh).

Is the president right? Overall, I think it's an appropriate, if exagerated, statement--not because Limbaugh is conservative, but because the man has devoted his career to stifling discourse--to speaking in terms that don't let people think, compromise, or progress.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 28, 2009,
Obama lost some cool points on that, but what surprised me was the "rough start" comment
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by dullsilver_mike
(though if you're smart enough to read for context you probably don't like Limbaugh).

EDIT: Also, i'd say he actually gains coolness points for daring to voice his opinion.
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Last edited by nimrod_hahahaha at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
He didn't tell people not to just listen to Limbaugh, he made a cause and effect argument: if you listen to Limbaugh, then you can't get things done.

Will people misread it? Yeah, you just did. Will people read it correctly and still be offended? Yeah probably (though if you're smart enough to read for context you probably don't like Limbaugh).

Is the president right? Overall, I think it's an appropriate, if exagerated, statement--not because Limbaugh is conservative, but because the man has devoted his career to stifling discourse--to speaking in terms that don't let people think, compromise, or progress.

Thank you
DOWN&OUT
Of course it isn't a command. But a president shouldn't even suggest saying that.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
Quote by deathforyouth
Of course it isn't a command. But a president shouldn't even suggest saying that.

I don't know, I would say 99% of politicians have done far worse.
Quote by deathforyouth

a president shouldn't be allowed to voice his opinion and suggest that a show which promotes ignorant and hatred shouldn't be listened to?
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Quote by Cyanide176
Is there not a political thread for everyone to moan about politics?

Bores me to death to be honest

Then why did you click on it and post so that it stays on the front page for longer?
Current affairs =/= Politics, by the way

Quote by deathforyouth

Why? You don't have to listen to the President anymore than you have to listen to Rush Limbaugh. He hasn't made a law or anything, when he does you can complain.
This is just pointless whining, and ironic considering all of the "liberal media, don't listen to the liberal media" bull**** that republican politicians have been spouting for years.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
EDIT: ^^ Thank you.

Quote by deathforyouth

Your entire argument in this thread and your title has been centered around the fact that it was a command.
Besides, He wasn't suggestion to censor Limbaugh or talking to the American people--he was talking to politicians (AKA co-workers) that he has to work with, and he's right: there is NO way Congress would move if the Republicans in Congress took their guidance from Limbaugh, just like there is NO way Congress would work if Democrats took their guidance from Maher.
DOWN&OUT
Well seeing as he's more entertainer than news man, maybe congressmen shouldn't listen to him. Not that they can't listen to the show, but if you put serious consideration into some of the things he say's that's ****ed up.
Quote by freedoms_stain
This whole thread is fail, it's mistitled, misleading and out of context.

I shall dub it... the republican thread!
All I was trying to show was that a president should not be suggesting what people should listen to. It's frightening, especially in his first week as President. Personally, I think Obama has done quite well his first week. But I just found this absurb. The article I read was much more objective, so sorry for just grabbing the first link I saw. Just forget about Rush Limbaugh for this thread, it is the fact that he is worried about a radio program(since all of you suggest Limbaugh isn't a news program, albeit in a manner that suggested I was a dolt or something) getting in the way of his Presidential career. I find it frightening that he would say that. I thought he was "Mr. Cool".
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
Isn't Rush Limbaugh a shock jock? Therefore he most probably sucks?

At first I thought Limbaugh was a type of Hawaiian music...
Quote by jackofclubs
Freebird!!!
Last edited by sebbsmith at Jan 28, 2009,
Even the president can have opinions, just like everyone else. He didn't command anyone.
Page 1 of 2