Ok, i have wanted to play guitar for a while and so i asked my brother if i can borrow one of his, so he lent me his acoustic he got for Xmas a year or so back... so i start learning and learning, started getting the hang of it and all... but from what i read there is a huge difference from playing acoustic vs electric... and acoustic isnt my style and never will be the guitar even feals weird holding it... iv learned a few things but not much but my main question is... should i even continue learning or just wait till i can get my hands on an electric and then start over from there. in all honesty i HATE playing the acoustic but if it will teach me a few things that i can use on an electric i will continue learning with it in the mean time
honestly, a guitar is a guitar, is a guitar. an acoustic is going to feel rougher to play if it has steel strings since they have a higher gauge, or the neck is going to be thicker if it's a classical with nylon strings, but there'd be no harm done from improving your chops on an acoustic for the time being. It might even open up your musical horizons to something else.

Edit: also, what's so terrible about playing the acoustic? the body? the neck? the strings? the tone?
This is how the world ends.
Last edited by Basscleff at Jan 28, 2009,
Learn as much as you can on the acoustic until you can get an electric.The thicker neck,heavier strings,higher action,and wider nut width will get your fingers nice and strong before you switch to electric.Remember,if you can play it on an acoustic,you can play it easier on an electric in general.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i started on acoustic and went to electric 5 years later. i think you should keep playing and dont start over when you get to electric. theres no difference between them really except sound. and every electric guiatr feels different to.
Loading Signature...
well ok i will continue with this acoustic until i get the eclectic i want, and Bassclef what i really hate about this guitar is almost everything, the body of the guitar feals 2 thick for me because its a pain in the back for my to sling my arm over the big body, the neck is really wide and thick with high gauge steel strings the hurt the hell out of my fingures, the sound is actually decent which kind of surprised me alot because i know that its not a good guitar its a cheapo...
Learn on acoustic. Acoustics are usually much less forgiving of sloppy technique that electrics. If you work to play a song on acoustic, your technique will really shine on electric.
^go with this. It might suck and hurt in the beggining but it will be SOOO worth it once u get ur first crappo electric (or first good one dependin on how much u wanna spend)
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
well i dont think my first electric will be crappy at all i plan on getting the same one my brother got and its an Ibanez package and he puts out some really great sounds with it... here is the link to it http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJX121-Metal-Guitar-Jumpstart-Package-103945184-i1168768.gc

so far im still having problem with even getting my fingures to fret the string where i want it and not mute the others its really frustrating me because i know this guitar can do it but its just my crappy hand work... at first i was really getting the hang of it my first night i really practiced with it but now my fingure tips are so sore i cant seam to make the reaches to the strings like i was so its really starting to get to me about that... but im so looking forward to getting the electric i want, but im still trying to find a new job and thats not working out so well... once i get a new job ill have it in less then a month

but then again it was my 21st bday when i first started (sunday) and i had a decent amount of booze in me and was pretty relaxed... or i was just drunk and thought i sounded better
Last edited by cronarct at Jan 28, 2009,
stick with it. Your fingers will be sore for the first little while until they get used to the pressure from the strings. And to be honest, the only way to get better is to practice and practice a lot. You'll be surprised when you look back on it in a couple months at how far you've come. Also taking lessons would be a great idea
only lessons i plan on taking is whatever i can find on the internet that is FREEEEEEEEEE lol im jobless ATM so paying for anything is out of the question
i hear you, having no money sucks big time. But just practice and you'll get better it's all about perserverance.

If your fingers aren't bleeding by the end of the day your doing something wrong lol.
Acoustic is actualy much better to play then electric. It gets you used to a thicker guitar and strings. Normaly songs are alot harder to play on acoustic then electric also. Learn as much as you can on the acoustic, it will make you 10x better then just restarting with an electric.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Keep playing it dude. Acoustics are a LOT less forgiving as far as sound goes, so you will learn better techniques when you play as opposed to electric where the distortion can hide some of your mistakes. I played electric for 10 years and then finally got my first acoustic and I'll be the first to say that I've improved a lot from being able to hear the little things that you can't on an electric.
I would keep playing it until you get your electric guitar. My first guitar was an enormous thick accoustic guitar which sounds similar in size to yours. It was really hard to play due to its size. Also it shredded my fingers.

When I got my first electric guitar it was so much easier to play being alot smaller and not painfull either. I found I picked up new techniques and tunes alot faster and enjoyed the whole plug it into the amp and make some noise way of doing things.

If you keep going when you get there an electric guitar will be great to play.
I started on acoustic and had no self esteem. Picked up my friends Strat one day and i BURNED him. I'd stick to acoustic. Dont let it get to you personally if you are struggling cos wait a year or so and pick up an electric... you'll be like "hacking" status or w/e the kool kids say it now
electric guitar is played exaclty like acoustic. you put your fretting hand on the neck and your struming hand closer to the bridge with the strings. then you put your fingers on some frets to make a chord, and you strum...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
well thanks for the advice everyone ill keep playing this acoustic untill i can get the guitar i want.
I don't recommend getting that guitar package you linked to (that $300 Ibanez "starter" pack). If you've been playing for a year, you deserve something better than that.

That being said, I say keep playing on your acoustic for now, buy a guitar method/learning book, learn maybe a few songs and when you feel ready, decide what your budget for an amp and guitar is (don't get an amp/guitar package, because those are just well crap really), decide your budget for the guitar and the amp and then go to guitar store and try out all the guitars you are interested in that are in your budget and same for amps.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
wow that sucks i thought that was a decent guitar... same one my bro has and he can put out some nice stuff.
Master power chords on acoustic. If you can press all the strings down on the neck perfectly, electric guitar is gonna be a piece of cake to strum.

try playing hotel california , might change your mind about acoustic guitars maybe.
Quote by cronarct
well ok i will continue with this acoustic until i get the eclectic i want, and Bassclef what i really hate about this guitar is almost everything, the body of the guitar feals 2 thick for me because its a pain in the back for my to sling my arm over the big body, the neck is really wide and thick with high gauge steel strings the hurt the hell out of my fingures, the sound is actually decent which kind of surprised me alot because i know that its not a good guitar its a cheapo...

well this is only going to make you a better guitarist. theres no way its going to somehow hold you back when you make the transition. the finger pain goes away when your fingers toughen up. there is no downside to learning on acoustic whatsoever
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
ill try it once i get the basics down lol right now im doing some speed and strength exercises so i can actually play when im ready... here is what im doing to build up my speed str and exsersize.

Exercise 1

Place your hand on the 6th string with your fingers on frets 1 - 4.
Now go through the fingerings below (1 - index finger, 2 - middle finger, etc). Go through them one time on each string.
Do this as a daily exercise to build strength and speed. To increase the challenge,
play it in the opposite direction after you played it in the normal fashion.
Then you can try this on each string to increase the drills challenge even more. To go even farther,
you can try it on another set of 4 adjacent strings.

01. 1-2-3-4
02. 1-2-4-3
03. 1-3-2-4
04. 1-3-4-2
05. 1-4-2-3
06. 1-4-3-2
07. 2-1-3-4
08. 2-1-4-3
09. 2-3-1-4
10. 2-3-4-1
11. 2-4-1-3
12. 2-4-3-1
13. 3-1-2-4
14. 3-1-4-2
15. 3-2-1-4
16. 3-2-4-1
17. 3-4-1-2
18. 3-4-2-1
19. 4-1-2-3
20. 4-1-3-2
21. 4-2-1-3
22. 4-2-3-1
23. 4-3-1-2
24. 4-3-2-1

Once you start practicing them, you will find out that its really easy to remember these patterns.

Exercise 2

This exercise will work with your picking hand as well as your fret hand by using all the combinations of downstrokes and upstrokes.
Below there are two figures given, Fig. 1 and Fig. 2. To do this exercise, you will play Fig. 1 like you did in Exercise 2,
but you will use the stroking patterns shown in Figure 2. In figure 2, downstroke is represented by (U) and an upstroke is represent by (V).
Don't go with what the letters are, just take them as symbols.

For example: lets take the first pattern from Fig. 1 (1-2-3-4) and lets choose the fifth pattern from Fig. 2 (U-V-U-U).
So you would play it together as 1st fret with a downstroke(U), 2nd fret with an upstroke(V),
3rd fret with a downstroke(U) and 4th fret with a downstroke(U) as well. If you have time, play Fig. 1 using all the patterns in
Fig. 2, this will truly give you a good workout for speed and endurance.

Fig. 1
01. 1-2-3-4
02. 1-2-4-3
03. 1-3-2-4
04. 1-3-4-2
05. 1-4-2-3
06. 1-4-3-2
07. 2-1-3-4
08. 2-1-4-3
09. 2-3-1-4
10. 2-3-4-1
11. 2-4-1-3
12. 2-4-3-1
13. 3-1-2-4
14. 3-1-4-2
15. 3-2-1-4
16. 3-2-4-1
17. 3-4-1-2
18. 3-4-2-1
19. 4-1-2-3
20. 4-1-3-2
21. 4-2-1-3
22. 4-2-3-1
23. 4-3-1-2
24. 4-3-2-1

Fig. 2
01. U-U-U-U
02. U-U-U-V
03. U-U-V-V
04. U-U-V-U
05. U-V-U-U
06. U-V-U-V
07. U-V-V-U
08. U-V-V-V
09. V-V-V-V
10. V-V-V-U
11. V-V-U-U
12. V-V-U-V
13. V-U-V-V
14. V-U-V-U
15. V-U-U-V
16. V-U-U-U
Quote by Pr0gNut
Learn as much as you can on the acoustic until you can get an electric.The thicker neck,heavier strings,higher action,and wider nut width will get your fingers nice and strong before you switch to electric.Remember,if you can play it on an acoustic,you can play it easier on an electric in general.

this.
Thank you please.
now starting to work on the basic open chords and i gotta say ME FINGURES ARE RAW!!!! it actually hurts to type this lol... i had to stop playing for a while so i can let my fingures heal some, it was actually getting to where i couldn't press on a string because it hurt to much lol. its kind of odd because i have a high pain tolerance but this is a totally different type of pain i suppose...

anyways anyone have some advice for practicing open chords... and then i need advice for switching between chords so i can really really practice that then maybe ill start working on a song i love... I'm thinking Fade To Black by Metallica might sound good on this acoustic
A nice acoustic song is Learning to Fly by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

Anyway, some advice regarding chords, well not much to say really, just practice, practice, practice. Try to examine your fingers when you are doing chord switching to make sure that you are doing minimal finger movement when switching.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer