So me and 5 other people decided we'd go for a single house next year (being our second), getting a six-bedroom house. Over the past two months, me and my housemate (in the group) have done f*ckloads of research, narrowed down potential houses and arranged several viewings, mostly for today.
So today comes. First off, this morning, we had two houses on the other side of town to the uni. They were sh!t. Tiny rooms, bad locations (parking was hell) and poor bus services, meaning I'd be relying on my car a LOT. Also, the landlady for one was a hard@ss who didn't give much slack to the rules and rent. So scratch them.
Next, we had three in a row after lunch. However, at lunch, I checked their website and two were off the market. And they hadn't phoned us to say 'they're gone.' The third was still available, but that pushed our appointment back 40 mins. We went to the village it was in, and fell in love with it. Nice pub, quiet neighbourhood and my housemate got offered a job straight from the off.
The house was utterly awesome. 50's appearance from the outside, and the right blend of period and modern inside - nice furnishings, great layout, exposed beams and really, really nice rooms. We all said, 'let's go for it.'
So we left to go to the letting agents to look over the contract, cos we had another house to view at 4:30. We get there, and one of the guys asks us which house we're after. Bear in mind we came straight from it. We tell him, and he says, 'sorry, but the group that were before you are already signing for it.' SH!T!! They were right there in front of us, signing the contract. We were all totally gutted - if it had come down to it, we'd have paid the deposit there and then, we liked the house so much.
Scratch another one.
So we go round the nearby agents and arrange more houses, but only manage one six-bedroom and a seven-bedroom. 4:30 rolls around and we're viewing the last house today. We arrive bang on time, the landlord's on his way so the current students show us round this much-less-impressive-but-still-pretty-good house. It's close to the uni, so we would have paid more for it. We were considering it when the landlord came.
He told us all about the contract and the conditions, and quite casually let it drop that the house was off the market. So casually, I didn't get it the first time around. While he's explaining, we're all silently swearing to each other. Apparantly, he'd been signing the deal just when we turned up, hence his lateness.
He let us view another across the street, but this time told us that the deal was nearly sealed; indeed, the deal-sealers had just pulled up to pay the deposit.
We went and looked at the village where the seven-room one is, but couldn't find it in the dark. We came back to uni pretty down. I'm just about to crack open the alcohol, I'm really gutted at losing the third house. What I am really p!ssed off with is that the agencies don't communicate with us. The second lot moved back our appointment; if we'd been earlier, we could have got the house. The third guy didn't tell us the house was gone when we got there.
Oh, and I missed two classes for this and I now have an irritated email from the teacher wondering where I went. F*ck.
So anyway, anyone else had a sh!t day?
</rant>

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
i actually had a snow day, and am now bored as hell, listening to Chinese Democracy. i don't care what people say, i like it

but on subject, that does suck a lot. the best of luck to you
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
It's not a big deal...you'll find a decent house soon enough. You've got ages and there are more houses than students looking for them anyway.
I don't understand why people choose to move out of residence. Most of the time, the cost is almost on par. I'd rather have my living arrangements set til grad school.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
dont worry, you will find a house.

if not just go halls of residence again? my uni allows that if you as nicely. or ask the uni for house advice. my uni has a housing and welfare section, and the uni its self owns a few houses and knows people/agencies that solely deal with students going to my uni.

hope that helps bro.

[i should really start looking for a house :P)
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
wow, I'm not looking forward to house hunting but I am looking forward to getting out of rez... hopefully I can get my friends organized so we can get it done early on.
Quote by rock_star77
I don't understand why people choose to move out of residence. Most of the time, the cost is almost on par. I'd rather have my living arrangements set til grad school.

There is only so much Uni-owned accommodation and first-year students get priority. The vast majority of students move out in the second year.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by rock_star77
I don't understand why people choose to move out of residence. Most of the time, the cost is almost on par.
My house in my second year was far cheaper living than in my halls. Plus I lived with a few of my closest friends rather than being surrounded by complete morons. I went back into halls for my third year. I really really hate it and the first years that populate this place.
Quote by rock_star77

I'm paying 622 a month for a tiny 4 bedroom apartment on campus, including: internet, hydro, heating, cable. 4 bedroom houses go for about 1200-2000, even with the extra bills it should still be a bit cheaper. Not to mention the luxury of having a house off campus...
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Jan 28, 2009,
It is January right? Haven't you got til like September to find a house?
Yeah, the issue is that this uni reserves accomodation for first-years; 18,000 people attend it, so imagine roughly 4-6,000 students as first years, all housing gets filled up fast. Also, the reason for the rant is that there seems to be panic-buying happening. Housing is vanishing, and I mean fast. It's getting to the stage where numbers are halving when you click refresh. Today alone, I started with 12 potential properties (some no replies for visits), now down to 4. It's starting to scare us that we may need to split the group in half to actually get somewhere

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
In Canada, we're expecting a dramatic increase in uni applications, more rez reserved for first years, even less rez available for us next year. But that doesn't bother me as long as I can find a decent place off-campus.
Quote by zhilla
It is January right? Haven't you got til like September to find a house?

It's better to get it done now and secure a contract, especially with house prices as low as they are, than get to September and having to have whatever you can get, if anything.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK