So i've recently got my first electric guitar and amp. A MIM Fat Strat (for $275) and a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT (for $120. Thats shopping skill right there haha). And I am LOVING it. After reading the thread bout the road worn fenders though, I started wondering, what finish is on my guitar, and does that wear. Because I really want it to wear, love the look of worn in guitars, not just scratches. If it matters, I checked (think i did it right) on fenders sight the serial, and its somewhere between 05 and 06 I think.

Just wondering. Im not wanting to fake wear it in, just wanting to now if the finish will wear off over time?

Also, I just joined the forum, after just reading here for months. Very helpful site. And the pit is just funny to read

Thanks,
Nathan
usually thePolyurethane finishes on MIM strats dont age well. nitrocellulose finishes are the ones that age nicely. you could beat your guitar around if you really want to make it age but it will take a while to get that aged look to it. esp a mexcian strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
No, you'll get dents and dings a lot, but no wear. Think of the finish as a coat on an M&M. it's tougher to crack than a regular chocolate.
i mean it is plastic...so its really tough...its hard to make it look like it has about 30-40 years of wear and tear
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by nightraven
a polyurethane finish will never wear away like a proper nitro cellulose finish does (i.e. vintage strats, the road worn series and some american models). your guitar is literally soaked in plastic

Dangit! Anyway that I can relic it a little? Burn some paint? something???
you could sand the finish off but it could damage the wood.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD

This. Pisses. Me. Off.

Haha
Quote by random_B-RAD

And look very fake and stupid. If you want a beat up looking guitar. I'll give you my beat up Tele for your Strat.
Quote by eurotrashed
And look very fake and stupid. If you want a beat up looking guitar. I'll give you my beat up Tele for your Strat.

And the teles have a different finish than strats? haha
Quote by NtaPtikab
And the teles have a different finish than strats? haha

Mine's lacquer finish as it is not a MIM Fender Telecaster.
So just wondering, I played some Schecters like the C-1 classic and the hellraiser. Do those age well? Because they played amazing. Not that it would affect my choice. Just wondering for a future guitar. They played so amazingly