I really like to rest my thumb on something when i play. I usually rest it on the neck pickup. But sometimes my playing sounds a bit muddy, or it will sound like im popping the bass because i will hit frets by plucking the strings. If i rest on the bridge pickup, it sounds a lot better and feels better on my fingers, but sometimes i get sort of like a bell sound, like you would if you were playing guitar.

I'm trying to get a really clear, geddy lee type sound. I understand its mostly them amp and guitar, but i know i can get a clearer sound if my technique is better. Any advice?
Quote by Black&Gold
I really like to rest my thumb on something when i play. I usually rest it on the neck pickup. But sometimes my playing sounds a bit muddy, or it will sound like im popping the bass because i will hit frets by plucking the strings. If i rest on the bridge pickup, it sounds a lot better and feels better on my fingers, but sometimes i get sort of like a bell sound, like you would if you were playing guitar.

I'm trying to get a really clear, geddy lee type sound. I understand its mostly them amp and guitar, but i know i can get a clearer sound if my technique is better. Any advice?

i think you mean a trebley tone? with all the distortion geddy uses these days, his tone is hardly clear. Geddy lee has his jazz basses set up with really low action with a light bit of fretbuzz. He also has all the controls on his bass set to full, and plays very hard over the neck pickup.

Im afraid getting geddy's tone and not having the strings clank against the frets is almost impossible.

you could try using some fresh strings though, as i have found this lessens the 'thud' of clanking against the frets.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
That bell sound is an accidental pinch harmonic. When I was playing bass I like to anchor my thumb as well, and it was usually on the E string. When I was playing the E string I'd rest my thumb above the strings on the body of the bass.

Always sounded clean when I did. Also, just a word of the wise you sacrifice speed for stability by anchoring, so if you can train yourself out of it I would highly suggest doing that.

Happy plucking!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200