What P-90 guitar do you prefer more? LP, SG, Tele, or Semi-Hollow? What are the tonal differences?

I have a LP-ish sounding guitar, a SG with ebony fretboard, and an all maple semi-hollow body. I want to really emphasize the SNARL and BITE so what do you think would be the best guitar for that? Thanks

(Alright, I swear I posted this before but I can't find it. Last night, UG was going through some maintenance and my thread started glitching up. Anyway, here's a repost.)
I prefer an SG or tele,simply for the playability and the fret access.Plus,the twang of a tele has always sounded nice to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Tele or lp
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
i imagine the sg or tele for snarl and bite, though you'll never be certain till you try it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i imagine the sg or tele for snarl and bite, though you'll never be certain till you try it...

That is the truth and also my motto... until I lost a job lol. Now I just research and research because I can't really afford to "find out". I could if I knew how to solder my own p'ups, but I don't. I have a crappy Squire that I wanna practice on and learn how to solder. I really should start acquiring that skill.

Now, I really like the crispness in a LP with a maple top, but something about a SG really makes it bite. I assume its the thinner body. I don't have a tele, but I could trade for one (I rather not though cos my SG could use some versatility). Maybe I'll go SG unless anyone thinks the LP might be better. Yes, I'm that obsessed lol. Why get WOW! when you can get WOOWWW!~!!!!
Quote by snarlNbutter
That is the truth and also my motto... until I lost a job lol. Now I just research and research because I can't really afford to "find out". I could if I knew how to solder my own p'ups, but I don't. I have a crappy Squire that I wanna practice on and learn how to solder. I really should start acquiring that skill.

Now, I really like the crispness in a LP with a maple top, but something about a SG really makes it bite. I assume its the thinner body. I don't have a tele, but I could trade for one (I rather not though cos my SG could use some versatility). Maybe I'll go SG unless anyone thinks the LP might be better. Yes, I'm that obsessed lol. Why get WOW! when you can get WOOWWW!~!!!!

maybe a Les paul special with dual p90s
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by snarlNbutter
... Now, I really like the crispness in a LP with a maple top, but something about a SG really makes it bite. I assume its the thinner body. I don't have a tele, but I could trade for one (I rather not though cos my SG could use some versatility). Maybe I'll go SG unless anyone thinks the LP might be better. Yes, I'm that obsessed lol. Why get WOW! when you can get WOOWWW!~!!!!
I'd say it's the characteristic of the P90. Check out Santana's Woodstock gig ... he was playing an all-Mahogany SG with P90s.
Quote by I am wet
maybe a Les paul special with dual p90s
Yes! Similar to this MIJ Epi:

Quote by snarlNbutter
(a) That is the truth and also my motto... until I lost a job lol. Now I just research and research because I can't really afford to "find out". I could if I knew how to solder my own p'ups, but I don't. I have a crappy Squire that I wanna practice on and learn how to solder. I really should start acquiring that skill.

(b) Now, I really like the crispness in a LP with a maple top, but something about a SG really makes it bite. I assume its the thinner body. I don't have a tele, but I could trade for one (I rather not though cos my SG could use some versatility). Maybe I'll go SG unless anyone thinks the LP might be better. Yes, I'm that obsessed lol. Why get WOW! when you can get WOOWWW!~!!!!

(a) i'm sorry to hear you lost your job.

easiest way to practice soldering is to just buy a few cheap components (say, resistors) and a little strip of breadboard or PCB and just practice soldering and desoldering. would save you messing up your squier if the worst came to the worst, and would give you some confidence.

EDIT: when i said, "you won't know until you try it", i meant try it in a shop- not to go out and buy them all, lol!

(b) yeah, i know what you mean- the LP tone is a bit more "refined" (to my ears, anyway), but there's something about the SG tone (and similar guitars) too- i don't really prefer one or the other, both are great, it depends on what you're after. Not to make your choice any harder, but LP specials and juniors, as i am wet (o_O) suggested also have that kind of "snarl" and "bite". would also be worth a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 29, 2009,
Stick 'em in a Goldtop Les Paul. Don't worry about the sound, leave that to your amp and EQ. None of the other guitars look even half as good with P-90s as a Goldtop LP, it's clearly the only viable choice
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i can't stand the look of goldtops... (or any gold guitars, really)

i always feel like some kind of heretic when i say that, lol. i like most of the classic colour combos, just i really don't like gold...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) i'm sorry to hear you lost your job.

easiest way to practice soldering is to just buy a few cheap components (say, resistors) and a little strip of breadboard or PCB and just practice soldering and desoldering. would save you messing up your squier if the worst came to the worst, and would give you some confidence.

EDIT: when i said, "you won't know until you try it", i meant try it in a shop- not to go out and buy them all, lol!

(b) yeah, i know what you mean- the LP tone is a bit more "refined" (to my ears, anyway), but there's something about the SG tone (and similar guitars) too- i don't really prefer one or the other, both are great, it depends on what you're after. Not to make your choice any harder, but LP specials and juniors, as i am wet (o_O) suggested also have that kind of "snarl" and "bite". would also be worth a try.

No worries. Being unemployed is fun... *sarcasm* lol

And thanks. I should buy those cheap parts, but the thing is, its a Squire Bullet. Like the cheapest one and its like older than well... its my first guitar. Its sooo messed up that its not even playable. I could TRY to play it, but no, literally, its unplayable - at least electronically lol. The input jack fell off... with the wiring! Frets are warping too. Neck is still straight though. Pickups are complete crap anyway

And I dont have a LP. I have a guitar that sounds brighter than a Maple-Capped LP. Its a Schetcer C-1 Classic. Its actually currently p'upless but I tried one stock at GC and well, then I bought one used on eBay. Been p'upless for awhile since I've been unemployed, but I got stuff I can trade for new p'ups.

Funny thing is, people say the C-1 sounds like a LP or that it doesnt at all. Always black and white. I think a C5/APH combo (or more likely a CC but I never played one of those) instead JB/Jazz would make the guitar more LP-ish, but honestly, it doesn't sound like an LP. Maybe sorta kinda, but IMHO, I like it more especially the playability. Plus you can MAKE it sound very much like a LP with a certain setup.

Anyway, its my favorite guitar. I'll test the P-90s in both that and my SG and see what I like more. That is... after I master the art of soldering lol.

And yes, SG sounds more grittier or raspier to my ears. I like it, but on the other side, LPs are very MEATY and I love that too! Like when playing guitars wayyy outta my budget at GC, I kinda like all-mahogany LPs more even though they are less defined. I just cant get over that bottom end thickness. Reminds me of my gf... yaddamean? Lol booty meat!
if you don't mind experimenting on the squier, then do it

i know what you mean about the black and white thing, a lot of people can be annoying like that.

i know what you mean about the SG versus LP, i like both too. sometimes i think it'd be a lot easier if i were one of those guitarists who only likes one thing, but i have to be one who likes everything (well, maybe not everything, but most things)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i know what you mean about the SG versus LP, i like both too. sometimes i think it'd be a lot easier if i were one of those guitarists who only likes one thing, but i have to be one who likes everything (well, maybe not everything, but most things)...

I hear ya man. I like everything from like Led Zeppelin to Van Halen to AC/DC to Rolling Stones to Nirvana to Disturbed to Tool to RATM. Lol

I have 3 guitars and I think I might be set unless a desire (which is small atm but I know how these things really grow on you) of buying a real (or Epi) LP overcomes me. Probably be all-mahogany though cos I have a Maple-Capped-LP-ish sounding guitar already, so I rather have something not too similar so I can add versatility to my gear. Oh.. and I also want a 12-string acoustic too... AHH MORE!

Darn my friends... they all like metal so they all only own 1 or 2 guitars and just concentrate and saving money for pedals.

Btw, I love all my guitars about equally, but maybe a little more on my SG. Yes the neck is faster than my other guitars, but I play just as well anyways; and yes, it has good access, but so does my Schetcer and my double-cutaway Hagstrom; so its not that... Its merely the shape LOL I cant lie! Call me shallow

Clapton influenced me to pickup guitar (btw I dun like strats), and I thought he was badass with the SG. Same goes with Santana and AC/DC. I just fell in love with the shape. Yes it has good playability and friendly weight, but what really makes me like it more is cos I know that I look like one sexy bastard when I have that baby strapped onto me (and trust me, I need all the help I can get lol). All the girls drool Even my ex... whos dating my friend - and he hates it when shes all INTO me. And if you're wondering, its not awkward (shes an ex from the far far past).

EDIT: Heyyy.... Dave. You're the same guy on the other thread! Thanks for helping me on TWO topics. *thumbs up*
Last edited by snarlNbutter at Jan 30, 2009,
yeah, i just realised you were from the other thread too. no problem, glad i could help

i hear you about the wide range of music, i'm the same. i do veer towards 80s metal and shred (i blame watching transformers non-stop when i was a kid ), but i play enough blues, classic rock, etc. etc. to want all the other styles of guitars (and amps!) too...

i'm actually not that keen on the looks of an SG- i personally used to hate them, until i tried a couple and really liked how they played and sounded. trying stuff can be a double-edged sword... sometimes it kills my GAS stone-dead if i try it and don't like it, but then sometimes it makes you want stuff you hadn't expected if you just try something random and really like it...

EDIT: oh yeah, Japanese-made copies- things like Tokai, Edwards (there are rumours that edwards aren't completely Japanese-made, but they certainly feel, play and sound like they are), Bacchus, Greco, Burny etc (or even the Japanese versions of Epiphone and Fender)- offer really good bang-for-buck IMO. Vastly superior to Epiphones (of the non-Japanese variety), similar in quality (depending on model) to Gibsons, but for a much lower price. Might be worth considering if you can't stretch to the Gibson price (though if you're in the USA, Gibson is likely to be much better value than in Europe), but still want a high-quality guitar. Just make sure they're the Japanese-made ones, as most of those brands also have Korean and Chinese-made stuff which isn't anywhere near as high-quality, and it's sometimes hard to tell if you aren't clued in to what to look for.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc

i hear you about the wide range of music, i'm the same. i do veer towards 80s metal and shred (i blame watching transformers non-stop when i was a kid ), but i play enough blues, classic rock, etc. etc. to want all the other styles of guitars (and amps!) too...

EDIT: oh yeah, Japanese-made copies- things like Tokai, Edwards (there are rumours that edwards aren't completely Japanese-made, but they certainly feel, play and sound like they are), Bacchus, Greco, Burny etc (or even the Japanese versions of Epiphone and Fender)- offer really good bang-for-buck IMO...

Thanks for the tip. I'll definately keep that in mind and if I do decide to go get an LP, I'll look for Japanese made knock-off. Thanks. Every bit of info I get always helps.
Check out the Godin LG. it has a set of special wound P90's, Solid Mahogany body and neck and rosewood fretboard. This guitar assembled in the USA with parts made in Canada. I passed on a LP to buy this one due to it's sound. The $ 400.00 price tag helped too!
^^

^ yeah, the few godins i've tried have been nice. haven't tried the p90 one, unfortunately. they also claim to have honduran mahogany on the godin website, and if that's true, that's pretty amazing for the price (unless it's the cheapest, crappiest honduran mahogany available, lol).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^

^ yeah, the few godins i've tried have been nice. haven't tried the p90 one, unfortunately. they also claim to have honduran mahogany on the godin website, and if that's true, that's pretty amazing for the price (unless it's the cheapest, crappiest honduran mahogany available, lol).

I think they are truthfull about the mahogany being Honduran,the density of the wood is unreal. it weights just under 8 lb (17.6 kg) and the substain is forever.
that combined with the P90-3 custom pickups one very adaptable guitar to any style playing.
yeah, the really nice mahogany does tend to be the light stuff (though manufacturers can cheat and chamber the guitars). how many pieces is yours made from?

when you say p90-3, do you mean three p90s, or the duncan sp90-3 model?

i think you've done your conversion to kg incorrectly, lol, 1 kg is 2.2lb, so that'd be about 3.5 kg.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well first of all a minibucker isn't a p90, and second of all you can get teles (or tele-alike guitars) with p90s very easily indeed. i think squier makes one, and that new jim adkins sig has them too. and that's before you even consider guys like G&L and other brands making tele-style guitars, which also often offer p90s.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the really nice mahogany does tend to be the light stuff (though manufacturers can cheat and chamber the guitars). how many pieces is yours made from?

when you say p90-3, do you mean three p90s, or the duncan sp90-3 model?

i think you've done your conversion to kg incorrectly, lol, 1 kg is 2.2lb, so that'd be about 3.5 kg.

Sorry about the conversion

the body is 3 pieces with bookended maple top and back. the neck is one piece with rosewood fretboard.

the pickups are the SP90-3 model, a lot hotter than any other single coils I've played before.
^ yeah, definitely

Quote by LGSP90
Sorry about the conversion

the body is 3 pieces with bookended maple top and back. the neck is one piece with rosewood fretboard.

the pickups are the SP90-3 model, a lot hotter than any other single coils I've played before.

haha, no worries about the conversion, just pointed it out in case it fooled anyone else

thanks very much for the info, too. i don't think i've tried the sp-90-3s... i've tried the sp-90-1s (i think- whatever the vintage output ones are), and the neck version is extremely nice indeed, but the bridge version was a little weedy i thought. sounds like you wouldn't have those problems with the 3s!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, definitely

haha, no worries about the conversion, just pointed it out in case it fooled anyone else

thanks very much for the info, too. i don't think i've tried the sp-90-3s... i've tried the sp-90-1s (i think- whatever the vintage output ones are), and the neck version is extremely nice indeed, but the bridge version was a little weedy i thought. sounds like you wouldn't have those problems with the 3s!

I've played the Vintage verson also,found the same with the bridge pickup. The SP-90-3's really show their true personality plugged into a high gain valve amp. But like everything,they do have their limits,I don't think the metal players would like them. But that's what the other guitar is for
^ yeah, and i imagine the really vintage guys wouldn't like them either... maybe an sp-90-1 in the neck combined with an sp-90-2 in the bridge might be the best of both worlds...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, and i imagine the really vintage guys wouldn't like them either... maybe an sp-90-1 in the neck combined with an sp-90-2 in the bridge might be the best of both worlds...

Interesting combo, I was thinking of trying a sp-90-3 in the middle position on my other guitar but the sp90-2 might be a better choice as the output would be better matched to the HB's.
oops, i just checked the duncan website, turns out the sp2 is even hotter than the 3... i thought it'd be in-between, preferably an alnico V magnet (it's ceramic). disregard that suggestion...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oops, i just checked the duncan website, turns out the sp2 is even hotter than the 3... i thought it'd be in-between, preferably an alnico V magnet (it's ceramic). disregard that suggestion...

Ummm, Good excuse to change the HB's
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?