i have a guitar with a floyd rose without a cavity. it is a fender strat with a floyd rose mounted on it. does it need teh cavity to work well? i have seen that most charvels have them mounter like this. please help me out. Thanks in advanced!
I think you can't pull up without a cavity.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Is the Floyd like a custom you got installed?

If it came with a tremolo system, are you sure its just a stock fender tremolo or an actual Floyd Rose?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
you may be able to
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Um... are you sure its not the Floyd rose-ish thing Fender puts on its strats?

I've never heard of an FR without a cavity, you'd destroy the body of the guitar when you released...
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
You can do a top mount floyd, it just wont be able to pull up, just dive
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I believe that Richie Sambora's signature fender has this, and you can only pull down, not up.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Pics?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Thats fine its actually easier to change tunings/strings that way
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by chryee090130
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v306/chryee090130/guitar/ there are the pics of that strat in that link.

Wow, that's interesting.
I'm guessing the "usual" cavity is there, but not one that will enable it to be pulled up.

I quite like it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
hmm ok i think im goin 2 sell for like 300 because i want one of those new blackstar mini stacks.
how much would it b for the part of the FR where the trem arm screws on 2. that popped out and i lost it.
Yes this is not that odd.

A lot of people put blocks of same wood as their guitar in cavity based floyd's so when they snap strings it doesn't downtune the entire guitar + easier restring and tuning overal.. That's basically the advantage.

Down side = you can't pull up.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by DotSick
I think you can't pull up without a cavity.

you can if you raise the action, but not all that much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gizmodious
Um... are you sure its not the Floyd rose-ish thing Fender puts on its strats?

I've never heard of an FR without a cavity, you'd destroy the body of the guitar when you released...

Its called a flush mounted Floyd. Old school, the way it used to be done. A lot of artists still prefer this method. The guys from Iron Maiden, EVH, Sambora, DiMartini to name a few. I prefer it this way as it adds sustain and better tone and I couldn't care less about pull ups.

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by chryee090130
i have a guitar with a floyd rose without a cavity. it is a fender strat with a floyd rose mounted on it. does it need teh cavity to work well? i have seen that most charvels have them mounter like this. please help me out. Thanks in advanced!

you cant pull them up

they dive fine though!
and also dont go all out of tune when you break a string

my peavey wolfgangs trem is also like this

edit: the new charvel i tried was un-recessed, but still had a bit of pull up, a little less than a tone raise in pitch
Top lel.
Last edited by the memory at Jan 28, 2009,
^ yeah, that's what i mean, if you set them up to float (like e.g. a strat trem) you can get a little up-pull...

Quote by DSOTM80
Its called a flush mounted Floyd. Old school, the way it used to be done. A lot of artists still prefer this method. The guys from Iron Maiden, EVH, Sambora, DiMartini to name a few. I prefer it this way as it adds sustain and better tone and I couldn't care less about pull ups.

i can't get past how much fun pull ups, gargles etc. are...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i can't get past how much fun pull ups, gargles etc. are...

They're fun for sure but I also have a phobia that I'll snap a string and it'll fling me in the eye I'm kidding ......but it could happen

Edit:

1 thing that is fun to do with floating trems.....

FLUTTERS!!
yeah, by gargles i mean flutters.

i wear glasses. could still hit me in the eye but at least i have some protection
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's an old manner of installing the Flyod Rose. Some prefer this method to a floating tremolo, you don't have to bother mucking about with the string tension then.

While some have stated the advantages of a flush mounted FR, I don't see the point of it... Why get a Flyod Rose when you can only get push down on the bar? I feel it defeats the purpose of FR.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i got hit in the eye by pulling down on a recessed floyd rose and breaking the string hurt like hell couldnt see right for a few days. but i prefer non recessed floyd roses ill mod one if i have to so it doenst recess
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by ragingkitty
It's an old manner of installing the Flyod Rose. Some prefer this method to a floating tremolo, you don't have to bother mucking about with the string tension then.

While some have stated the advantages of a flush mounted FR, I don't see the point of it... Why get a Flyod Rose when you can only get push down on the bar? I feel it defeats the purpose of FR.

There is a point to it and also cause of course it can be done, its a personal preference some like myself prefer. I do understand what you mean though but then again what I don't see a point in is people buying a guitar with a recessed floating trem, then blocking it altogether.
Quote by ragingkitty

Well seeing as that's how they were originally installed, i wouldn't say that it defeats the purpose of one. You still get a lot more range than other trems and great tuning stability.
EVH has a flush-mounted FR, and he has no problems.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well seeing as that's how they were originally installed, i wouldn't say that it defeats the purpose of one. You still get a lot more range than other trems and great tuning stability.

Quote by DSOTM80
There is a point to it and also cause of course it can be done, its a personal preference some like myself prefer. I do understand what you mean though but then again what I don't see a point in is people buying a guitar with a recessed floating trem, then blocking it altogether.

Please don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of having a flushed FR, just that for me, I'd get a FR because I want to be able to pull and push on the FR. To me it kinda seems pointless to me to remove one of its main selling points.

That said, I do agree, there is greater range, tuning stability, possibily better sustain than if you have a recessed FR. Of course its a matter of personal preference too.

aaaand yup DSOTM80, I don't see the point in buying a FR and then blocking it either. You'd be better off buying an axe with a vintage trem or a stop-tail piece.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
All the floyd roses i installed on my guitars are flush mounted except for the one for my brothers guitar I installed it reccessed cause thats how he wanted it... he acctually posted up above me (JessyB96)...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well i do agree with you there but i think people that do buy a non-recessed and block it probably do so because they don't want the hassle/function of a floyd but want the function of the tuning stability, mainly.
This is pretty much it. A vintage style vibrato can't dive as smoothly, fast and as far as even a non-floating Floyd can, and a decent Floyd with fine tuners and locking nut will stay in tune pretty much forever whereas a vintage vibrato will go out of tune if you do a lot of dives.

Quote by Rvddps
I believe that Richie Sambora's signature fender has this, and you can only pull down, not up.
Indeed. In his words, the one time he did have a fully recessed Floyd Rose, it snapped the B and high E strings, they flew up and lashed his arm. Considering how little he was using it to pull up anyway, he stuck to just diving and switched pulling up to regular bends.

I myself am planning out a Strat build which will be mostly like his Fender but with a couple of things from his Kramers added, and it's definitely getting a non-recessed Floyd bridge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Without a cavity, it would just be dive-only, as I'm sure many people will have already said.
Its a non-recessed floyd,cant pull up because of the missing cavity. I have one on my richie sambora stratocaster, cant pull up, but it has better sustain and makes string changing easier than ur average FR.
Quote by Underjoggle
EVH has a flush-mounted FR, and he has no problems.

well, not trem-related, anyway...

o_O

and for the last time, you can pull up slightly on a non-recessed floyd, if you set it up to float.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?