So I know that there have been numerous other threads pertaining to LED wiring in guitars (I read all of them before posting this) but none of them seemed to precisely answer my questions.
I'm building an electric from scratch for senior project, and I want to put some cool stuff in it, right now I'm thinking a killswitch, 8 LEDs around the pickup rings that vary in brightness with the sound coming through the guitar, and if at all possible, an analog meter which would do the same, like a VU meter on a tube preamp.

My question is: how do I wire up LEDs to be controlled by the guitar signal and powered by a 9 volt battery?
someone on youtube, Konstantin, did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQaF4bmuojo
which is essentially what i'm thinking

can anyone give me a hand, or point me towards a useful wiring diagram?
I'm planning on testing it out on a breadboard this weekend, but it would help to start out in the right direction

Thanks to all
NWS
i did design and build a voltmeter at one point, but i cant find my notes on it. i do remember it basicly had op amps set up as comparators with the refrence voltage varying from 0 to whatever. the refrence voltages were created by taking the input signal and using X ammount of resistors to divide the signal into X equal (or unequal if you want) parts, where X is the number of LEDs you want. so then the signal is input to the other side of the comparator (op amp) and if the signal is higher than the refrence voltage, there is an output of the opamp at the high rail voltage. you take that output run it through your resistor and LED and it will only light when the voltage is above that threshold.

heck, you could even create something that shows how present different frequencies are. you would just need a setup like that for each frequency you want, and put a bandpass/lowpass/highpass filter between the signal and your voltmeter circuit. having something like that might be cool, but you would have to do like 7 frequencies for it to be at all worth it. and that would be a lot of op amps, so might be a bit expensive.