I'm looking for someone who owns a StewMac router base for a Dremel tool. I need to know how it's built.

I was looking for a small base like that but one with a clear bottom plate so I could use template router bushings. I even thought I might make my own base plate for the StewMac but their top plate uses different threads than my older Dremel.

My next option is to make my own. Here's what I can't figure out:

It looks like the two vertical shafts are one piece and probably threaded all the way up. I assume that the upper plate is held between the long tubular top nuts and the lower thumb wheels. To raise the top plate, you loosen the top nut, tighten the lower wheel to push the plate up, then retighten the top nut. Is that all there is to it? What's the purpose of the springs? I thought they might provide a plunge routing capability, but I don't see that mentioned on the StewMac site. And I don't see how that would work unless the vertical shafts are sleeved so one piece slides over the other.

Can someone who owns one tell me how they're put together?

Thanks.
there's a thread on this, someone made their own out of plywood - not as well thought out as yours i think, but give it a searchbarring
Do people even read the post?
I have one and your right about everything, there's no plunging all the springs do is make it easier to adjust the height because it pushes the upper plate up or down, probably not necessary if your building you own.
Thanks, guys. I saw that other thread. Google found it and that's how I got to this forum initially. I'd buy a StewMac base if it would fit my Dremel and it had a full clear bottom plate. I don't believe I can make one any cheaper than their $52 so I'm not trying to save money but get something that does what I need it to do.

Quote by 420 FREAK
Do people even read the post?
I have one and your right about everything, there's no plunging all the springs do is make it easier to adjust the height because it pushes the upper plate up or down, probably not necessary if your building you own.

That's what I needed to know. I can see how the springs might help guide the top plate up and down and keep it parallel to the bottom plate. Either way, if that's all there is to it, I think I can put something together to do what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Ray
Quote by LP Addict
LMII sells one with a clear base, and you can alwys make a base for it, if you bought one, you can remove the original base and you have a damn good template to work off of.

I've seen that one, but it looks to be almost over-engineered. I do like the three-legged support with a single adjustment control. Sometime in the last few days they've discontinued it, I see. The site doesn't mention which Dremel tools it fits on but I'm pretty sure that most Dremels made in the last 10 or 15 years have 3/4-16 threads and older ones like mine (and perhaps some of the newer models, too) have 3/4-12 threads. I'm waiting for Dremel to confirm that. StewMac's site does say that theirs only fits on newer model Dremel tools.