Like usual, they were helpful, I've narrowed my choice down to a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Gibson SG Faded or SG Classic, (discontinued though ) or the Epiphone Explorer. I was told I had good taste by another customer for using the Explorer. I also established ceramic pickups sound terrible clean, so they aren't really for me. Any advice? Lol, I played the Mini Stack, to see how they handle CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and someone I know who works there asked me why? Apparently, they dislike the MG at my Guitar Center.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
everyone who knows anythign about amps dislikes the MG. theyre terrible amps which news are convinced are the ****. i would personally go with the explorer or the les paul. none of these guitars are going to have great pickups so regardless of what you buy youre prob gonna swap out the Pups.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
id go with either sg... but i love sgs so
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
MGs aren't good for anything but practice...and since you have a pretty sweet amp there, I wouldn't consider changing it for something so lifeless and tinny.

I would go with the epi les standard. As good quality as gibson, imo.
Yeah, the Epiphone Explorer sounded better than the Gibson because Alnicos beat ceramic IMO. I'm not switching out the amp, I went to play the Super Champ on the Metalhead channel to see how the pickups handled heavy gain, the only time Ceramics sound good. The Explorer and the Les Paul are awesome, and the SG is too, the SG is great, because it's so light, compared to the 20 lb or so Les Paul.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
SGlover recommended the Explorer? In a battle of looks, it was between the Les Paul and the Explorer. To tell the truth, they all work great for the heavier elements of my playing.
Quote by chip46
<-- owns MG30DFX. Great for practice, sounds like a cat being ass raped when cranked up. If your into shred dude its a no brainer: get the SG.

If you like FR or the ZR (ibanez) systems check out the S line from Ibanez or the Diamond series from Schecter. The actives that come standard with the S1's rock and if you go for inactive pick-ups depending on the model of Ibanez and Schecter you get EMG's which sound killer.

... if I absolutely had to get and Epi or Gibby I'd definitely go SG, but IMO Gibsons are over priced.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
This guitar doesn't need a tremolo. I really only use it for Surf, and my Strat has one. I'm angry, I won't have $ until the Summer, and they have the SG Faded used for $529.
Quote by chip46
i would get the les paul, its really a great guitar!
the explorer is kinda goofy looking for my taste, and the sg just doesnt fit MY needs.
les paul all the way.
EDIT: THE ANSWER IS IN YOUR NAME MATE!
Last edited by pebbles123 at Jan 28, 2009,
Another question, with my Strat, my OD Pedal can make my amp do Metal. My question is, The Deluxe Reverb is fine to use for metal with an overdrive( it's pretty high gain.)
Quote by chip46
go for the faded sg. they are awesome. solid states such as mg's dont do them justice.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
Get the SG faded. I have one. Makes for a nice backup, but i gotta change the tuners. Goes outta tune all the time for me (but others i heard this is not a case.)
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Ok, I thank you for your advice, but can you give reasons why to buy them, don't just say buy a Les Paul.
Quote by chip46
SG Classic. Nao.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
The SG is light as a feather. One of the lightest ive ever played. Love the neck. Very comfy. Has a nice sound too it. Good for hard rock. Maybe not death metal but can get some good metal out of it. Plus its a Gibson. And the faded looks good IMO.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I'd definitely get the SG Classic, but I am afraid it will hum. With the P-90s.
Quote by chip46
I'd go for the SG.
Because I like the looks, I would still take it even if the other guitars sounded better tbh cause I'm a consumer *****.
Any answers to using my Deluxe for metal, and P-90s humming?
Quote by chip46
Quote by pebbles123
i would get the les paul, its really a great guitar!
the explorer is kinda goofy looking for my taste, and the sg just doesnt fit MY needs.
les paul all the way.
EDIT: THE ANSWER IS IN YOUR NAME MATE!

What does your taste and your needs have to do with what he wants? Anyways, any of those guitars should be fine for you, just make sure that if you get a Les Paul that it's one of the higher end ones like a Standard or a Custom.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Like I said, if I get a Les Paul, it'll be the Epiphone Standard, Custom, or Gibson Vintage Mahogany, Studio. Whichever I deem fit.
Quote by chip46
Possibly not the LP, because I prefer double cutaways, and the SG is, and the Explorer has access to the neck on both sides.
Quote by chip46
Get either the Epi Custom or the Gib Studio cause the vintage sucks. Hated it. Thats if u get an lp
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Ok, thanks.
Quote by chip46
Quote by John5rules125
Get either the Epi Custom or the Gib Studio cause the vintage sucks. Hated it. Thats if u get an lp

They all vary in build and sound quality so much that I'd avoid such generalisations. It comes down to this: Play all the guitars you find interesting and buy the one that works for you best.
I had the Epi Explorer, bought the Les Paul standard, sold the explorer...
I REALLY MISS MY EXPLORER
That tears it,
Get both.!
I really really like the feel and fit of the explorer for certain songs
and same goes for te Les Paul. The sustain of the LP blows the explorer away
but the slimmer neck on the explorer is faster than the LP (IMO)
I swapped ALL the p'ups out (emg 81-60 in the explorer and 81-85 in the LP)
and I Will do it again when I get another explorer.
Last edited by showey at Jan 28, 2009,
just to be a jerk
I play drop D tuned Lamb of god guitars into the mini halfstack

which yeilds entertaining results.
I don't even shred