The ones in the Ultimate settings topic aren't that great imo. I have a Roland Cube 30, so it's somewhat versatile lol.
Use your ear.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Hetfield and Kirk used a Mesa Mark IIC+ for that record. Your chances of being able to replicate the tone with a Cube 30 aren't too high.

Save up around $2000USD and get yourself a used Mark IIC+
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Check the settings thread, the equipment and settings they used from different years are there.
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
I'm not familiar with your amp but try mids at half, treble high, bass/lows pretty high, gain high, a little delay/reverb. That works with my setup, hope this helped.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Scoop your mids. Throw a little reverb on it. Put your gain at about 2 o clock.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by wwfattitude1998
The ones in the Ultimate settings topic aren't that great imo. I have a Roland Cube 30, so it's somewhat versatile lol.

no need for the lol, god i hate that

and trying to replicate that tone with a roland cube is damn near impossible
bass more or less on full, mids at 8/9 o'clock, treble around 2/3 o'clock (adjust to get rid of fizz if necessary).

you won't get the exact tone. hetfield uses rediculously elaborate set ups and mic configs for recording rhythm guitar - not to mention, they're all triple tracked.
use the rectifier setting with the gain at 7ish. the equalizer: highs at 6, mids at 2, bass at 7 (actual settings not o'clock). through a little reverb in. i used to have a roland cube and thats about as close as I got to metallica. play with the equalizer a little to get the tone. also what guitar are you using, that might have a big impact
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
so i have a cube 20. get it to where you want with your ear, the mids a little scooped, and then add some delay. barely any delay...
so the general consensus is that this is a good tone?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION