If you guys remember I posted a thread a few months ago about how my parents wouldn't allow me to read A Clockwork Orange. Well I got another copy and read it anyway, and it was an incredible book, I had already seen the movie, so the language wasn't as confusing. I mainly made this thread because I want to discuss the 21st chapter which is not in the movie. It didn't really seem that special to me yesterday when I finished, but today I have realized why it is considered so profound and controversial.

So basically, ultimately, the last chapter is serving to demonstrate that all teens will eventually grow out of their rebellious nature and serve society? That nihilism is just pointless and you should just take the current soicety and make the best of it? Or the friends/hobbies you make as a teen aren't important because your future as an adult is ultimately what matters the most? This is at least what I got out of the last chapter.
Well, I think the author would have agreed with Jung that our personalities don't really set untill our mid to late twenties, and that by that time, most of the effects of our childhood are sort of ironed out of us by our experiences as a young adult without our parents. I think part of that idea is reflected in that last chapter.

I think that it also serves in part to tell us that in everything evil there is always some good, and that in everything good there is always some evil. No matter how far you go down one path there is always the idea of the other path. I think that the author was really pointing out the duality of all things and that you can always return to a balanced center from the extremes of your personality. The last chapter left me with a sense of hope, to be honest.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.