ok, so usually i play 10-46's on my ibanez, but i think something is not right. i am going to buy strings soon, so what gauge do you suggest for me? i have big fingers, and mainly my playing involves palm muted tremolo picking(metallica style), power chords and shredding. will use on standard tuning, and with a floyd rose.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
I've got Ernie ball Power Slinkies on my alexi 200, play well at standard, half step and a full step down so yeah. I recommend those
i dont sweat, well if i do, that wont be on the guitar. and yeah, i'll need strings that last a month(i usually change em in a month)
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
For the three bass strings I'd suggest strings where you have a solid core and a wired wrapped around that core. For the treble strings I would go with ones that are just one solid piece. I'd make sure the ends are tied around a ball of some sort.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^Kevin I guess I cannot say too much, you're a bit more experienced than me anyway

Well, what do you find wrong with the current gauges/strings you are using? Usually, they feel less good when they're old, obviously, but is it something to do with playability even when they're ripe?

I've never liked EB, they seem to lose tone in under a week. I found D'addario to be the same price but last much longer and sound better. But, I'd suggest DR if you're willing to pay the $3 more, they sound, feel, play great. I much prefer the roundcore over the hexcore (easier to bend, slide, play in general for my hands), especially when the strings begin to age.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
For the three bass strings I'd suggest strings where you have a solid core and a wired wrapped around that core. For the treble strings I would go with ones that are just one solid piece. I'd make sure the ends are tied around a ball of some sort.

the strings i have right now are exactly like these. though i thought mb going to superlight, or heavy top skinny bottom type strings
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by dudey5691
Well, what do you find wrong with the current gauges/strings you are using? Usually, they feel less good when they're old, obviously, but is it something to do with playability even when they're ripe?

I've never liked EB, they seem to lose tone in under a week. I found D'addario to be the same price but last much longer and sound better. But, I'd suggest DR if you're willing to pay the $3 more, they sound, feel, play great. I much prefer the roundcore over the hexcore (easier to bend, slide, play in general for my hands), especially when the strings begin to age.

tnx for the advice, but what gauge will u recommend for powerchording and tremolo-palm muting- picking on the bass strings, and shredding on the light ones?
and yeah, the problem in my current strings might be that they are old.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by thisdude
tnx for the advice, but what gauge will u recommend for powerchording and tremolo-palm muting- picking on the bass strings, and shredding on the light ones?
and yeah, the problem in my current strings might be that they are old.

Something light on top (for shredding) and heavy bass strings for power chords or picking heavily on.

Skinny top Heavy Bottom - Ernie Ball
ok, tnx.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
I don't see anything wrong with using 10-46 strings as I use them with my Ibanez and they work fine. I use Elixir strings, partly because I like the sound but mostly because I'm lazy and I don't have to change the strings very often. My current set have been on so long that I can't actually recall when I last changed them and they still sound bright and full of tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1