So I'm really not happy with my tone. To me it is too sharp, everything is very pronounced, while some people like it I prefer a creamier, well rounded, more bass oriented tone. So I've got a few idea's about how to change it.

1) Put on thicker strings, I like the sound of my low E, A, D, and G, so I think if I put on heavier strings my B and E would sound similar to the rest.

2)New pickups but reversed. A Jimi essentially. Since he played his strat strung backwards the pickups affected his tone and made the low strings brighter and mellowed out the higher strings. I think. Of course it also could just be his set up. I'm not trying to get Jimi's tone exactly. I'm just mellowing mine out.

3)New amp obviously, my sig says Fender Frontman 212R (SHUT UP!) but that is just what I own. I play through my friends Crate GXL1200 with a Crate 4x12 cab. I really don't have enough money, but I am saving up for a Traynor YVC50 Blue combo amp.

4)I actually get closer to this tone when I play through my bass amp, so perhaps if I played through that and then used effect pedals, you know overdrive, distortion, wah, delay, etc. So how well would this work?

5)I've already tried rolling off my volume, coil splitting, turning the bass up, turning the treble down, different guitars, and I do get closer with my little bro's MIM strat, but I dunno. Anything else I could try maybe?

Thanks alot guys. I need this help, and I need something that won't be incredibly expensive or such. So the amp settings would be preferable, then bass amp, then strings, then pickup thing, and lastly the new amp. So yeah. Thanks alot you guys.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
more bass and mids. roll off on the treble a bit. that should get you closer. and ya, the thicker strings will help too.
lowering your pickups too could also help as you won't have as sharp of an attack. If you want new pups look into ones with alnico 2 magnets, the warmest in tone
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I think you'll notice a big difference with the Traynor, tubes can add a surprising bit of warmth I noticed.

Anyways while. you're still using the FM 212 maybe keeping the tone knob rolled back could help.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Roll off your tone knob on your guitar. It mellows it out.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
You sure have a lot of gear for someone who is not happy with their tone.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by wildwildwes594
You sure have a lot of gear for someone who is not happy with their tone.

One guitar, one pedal and one amp?

And to the TS, one thing you should try is lowering your pickups a bit. As said, this should decrease the attack of your strings. Check this out before changing to different gauges, because going into the realm of custom stringsets can be quite expensive, and frankly, annoying!

In combination with that, try EQ'ing some more. The problem with your tone might very well be in the aggressive attack, and after fixing that, EQ'ing more bass/mids or less treble might not even be necessary. Still, try it!

Last edited by Y00p at Jan 28, 2009,
Gryphon (Guitar)
212R (Amp)
SD-1 (Overdrive Pedal)
VM Jazz (Bass)
Traynor (Bass Head)
Spectra (Bass Cab)

So the general consensus seems to be, thicker strings, roll of the highs and mids, which I have done many times I mess with my EQ alot, lower my pickups, and get the Traynor. To DSOTM80 what pickups would you recommend? If I had compare what I want to something that exists, it would probably be more like a bass tone.

I am a bassist so I love low end, I can't really stand sharp high notes. So it seems that I am asking for a bass tone (finger picking mind you, no picks on my bass), in a guitar octave etc. I play alot of blues on my own, but when I jam with my buddy we kinda go into a Muse thing. I would like something that won't make me have to sacrifice these. I can live with it though.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
After 20 hours, I must ask. Is anyone there to provide more input?

Quote by JF-SH1
After 20 hours, I must ask. Is anyone there to provide more input?

sure try out some pure nickel wrap strings. Quite abit warmer compared to the usual nickel plated ones.
Thank you! I think I shall give that a try. Along with lowering my pickups. And I dunno if you guys caught this, I wasn't just asking for pickup suggestions. I was wondering if I got new pickups but installed them reverse (so the magnet for the low E would be on the high e) if it would also mellow it out.