So...

I have been playing for about 3 years and during this time I have developed a passion for the bass guitar and rekindled my love of music. It seems like everything I do revolves around it. When ever I hang out with friends, we play. My weekends consist of band practices and jamming with new people. My weekdays are jazz band, practice, lessons, on top of writing my own songs. I have met a lot of friends and girls through the whole music "scene" in my town. I am looking at colleges now and it seems like I have to choose between playing and a regular career. I have worked really hard to get into a good school all my life. I am 22nd in my class on top of all the other crap I do like clubs and track. Has anyone else had to make this decision? Will I be able to play in college? Should I at least look into music college? (thinking about Berklee...) I just need some advice of people that have been in the same situation.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
if you seriously think you are good enough for berklee then go for it.

if not, then i'd go for a normal life with a normal job, and keep bass playing a hobby.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I have no idea what to do for a normal job. I would probably go undecided to college. I am thinking about trying to go to a NGW to see what it is like and really gauge myself as a player. It is very expensive but my teacher does a course on bass multiplicity there and he says there are scholarships so I might try out for one.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
well i do encourage you to try if you think you are up to it. just make sure you have a backup plan incase things dont go to plan.

that is a useful life lesson in all areas though.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
It isn't like I am not going to college. I am in the top 10% of my class. I am thinking of Berkely as a reach college.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Nobody says you can't do both. Sure, you'll end up having to give more attention to one then the other, but that doesn't mean having to pick one and totally turn your back on the other.

Pleanty of people go to school/work during the week and gig out on the weekends. Hit the books and get college out of the way, it's only 2-4 years of your life. You'll have somthing solid to fall back on, and you can keep playing bass for the rest of your life. Plus you can get in with some bandmates on campus and hit all the local bars, which will invariably equate to college chicks checking you out
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
This is a huge life choice and something that probably shouldn't be discussed with any seriousness on a music forum. Your parents, teachers, or guidance/college councillors woudl all be better choices than us for serious advice that is actually real life applicable.
^Good call.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
This isn't as serious life or death here. I am just trying to get some different opinions from people that have been there. I am definitely not basing my opinion on how to run my life according to the internet. I am not that dumb.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I would be able to find other people and places to play at with at colleges. I guess there would but then again I don't know. It depends on the size of the college. I am looking at Temple or BU or Ithaca in NY if anyone knows the scene around there...
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Frankly I woulden't worry too much about it regardless of the size of the school. College kids like loud music almost as much as they like getting trashed, and bar owners know this. ANY campus you attend is going to have a constellation of bars venues around it. You won't be for want of venues. As far as bandmates, you won't be for want there either. It's just a matter of putting somthing up on a bulleten board.

When I was in school I'd take my acoustic guitar with me and play around campus between classes (my freshman year I had a horrid schedule. Between English 111 and Spanish 102 I had a 55 minute wait ) and I had offers to join like 7 bands in an afternoon. Trust me, it's not hard to play music in college.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
^I agree. Even if you don't go into a music program per se, it is quite easy to find other musicians at college / uni and playing music is not a problem.

I've been reading Glenn Kurtz's book, "Practicing: A Musicians Return to Music". It's about a classical guitarist who went to the New England Conservatory of Music and then went on try to become a working musician, only to put aside music for a decade. It has me thinking about the recent threads on the subject and my own musical journey.

Since my mother strongly objected to me being a music major, I ended up as a Poli Sci major with a minor in Music for the first two years of college. Music and playing in bands was an important part of my college experience. Long story short, Plan B (music as a job) fell to the wayside as the demands of grad school loomed.

I still play music but without the focus of trying to make it as a career, its a bit more fun. I can actually play for the joy of it. While I work in IT (yeah...so much for a Poli Sci degree), my job is my job. Music is a part of who I am and always will be. And through work, I have met some really great musicians who have become close friends and jamming buddies.

To try to wind up this post. Just because you don't major in music, doesn't mean playing music has to exit from your life. Music is who you are not what you do. If you can make it both, then you have hit the lottery. But if you don't, then it still can be a very important expression of who you are.