im pretty sure i have an idea what a compressor pedal does, but just to make sure can someone explain it to me?(it evens out the signal to make your guitar sound more smooth and even right??) also, is it really worth getting one. do you really like yours?
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
It will boost the quieter bits of your signal and squash the louder bits. It will give you a percussive, "thick" tone. Really helps tighten up a clean signal, making it smoother and more musical. It will usually squash your attack as well, and give you more sustain for a more legato style of note. It can be a very subtle effect, but I find that it really does wonders.

I absolutely adore mine (an analogman CompROSSor, a high end Ross clone). My very favorite pedal. Be warned though, most compressors will color your tone (high end models like analogman, Keeley, and MXR's re-issue '76 Dyna Comp are usually more transparent), and all compressors will add noise if you crank the sustain. But I see you have a Decimator.

The Boss compressors are junk, IMO. If you're looking at a good, reasonably priced pedal, look at the MXR Dyna Comp. Analogman makes a really sweet Juicer that has a lot of squash and nice little tone for a reasonable price (I think they're like $140). Really nice compressors start at about $200 and go up.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Last edited by VisionaryTics at Jan 28, 2009,
yup, you got that right.
I really like my compressor, I have it on most of the time.
not only because it evens out the volume, but it also makes my tone sound 'fatter'
I don't know how to explain it but you don't really notice it when it's on, but when it's off
it feels like there's something missing.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
yes, it can also improve sustain. i have a rocktron big crush and i really like it. it works great.
I got a DOD FX80 compressor, and I adore it.

Visionary has it exactly right with what they do, it basically makes it all smooth. I find that when you have a compressor in front of your other pedals, they generally sound better than without it.

Which were you considering?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
get a Keeley...they make the best pedals
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
I have a DOD Milk Box and love it, it never gets turned off. It's cheap, works well, and adds very little color to the tone. Also tried the MXR and liked the way it sounds. I ended up buying the Milk Box because it sounded as good as the MXR, was slightly cheaper, and had more controls. Keeley and Barber seem to be the most popular for higher end compressors.
im not gonna buy one right now but from what youve said, i think its gonna be the next addition to my rig. it sounds like thats exactly what I need to make my solos sound better because they would a little choppy now (with volume fuxes and so forth)

thanks so much that really helped

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
which one would you guys recommend ive read some reviews for every "i love it" review theres a "i hate it review" does anyone have a setup similar to mine and can compare (i would like to avoid spending $$$$$ but i dont want to get the ****tiest one money buys)

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
well, my rocktron big crush is decent quality, sounds good, and is on musiciansfriend.com for like $40 right now, i believe. there are better ones out there, but if you want a cheaper one that still gets the job done go rocktron. i'm biased because i have one, sorry.
Last edited by dimeml_13 at Jan 28, 2009,
I like the EHX mini Soul Preacher. Was gonna get it or the DynaComp. It has an extra attack switch, which affects the way the notes bloom. Has some great sample settings in the book even.

I use it as a boost, too. The way it raises the total signal, seems to push the amp a little harder, set at unity volume.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
which one would you guys recommend ive read some reviews for every "i love it" review theres a "i hate it review" does anyone have a setup similar to mine and can compare (i would like to avoid spending $$$$$ but i dont want to get the ****tiest one money buys)

Look at an MXR Dyna Comp or, as the above poster said, an EHX Soul Preacher. Both are good compressors around $90. Just get it used.

I will say this, a compressor is NOT a pedal you want to skimp money on. The difference between a $40 compressor and a $90 compressor is gigantic. It can be a hissy, noisy, tone-sucking effect if you buy a cheap one.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."