As college students may know,
Further Mathematics is one of the most rigorous subjects to take.

I consider myself to be good at maths, but i've heard it is bordering on extremly tough.

Any advise from students who have taken it and/or have friends who have taken it?

thanks.
I've got friends doing it and they say that it's not too demanding compared to standard maths, however it can make timetabling tricky because you do effectively end up doing maths nearly all the time.

But I haven't heard its difficult really.
i hate maths after higher
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Hah, I just went for it dude, I'm not worried just yet that my timetable is gonna be:
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Further Maths
Bordering on the extremely tough?

I dunno, I'm doing A2 further maths, I find it pretty alright. I didn't find AS 'rigorous'. I wasn't too great when it came to mechanics or decision maths, but that just depends on you.

Unless you're heading towards good A in maths at GCSE, I wouldn't consider doing further maths.

Also, if you don't like algebra or trigonometry, then it's really not for you. The topics you do study are actually quite interesting and if you think you want to pursue maths at uni, then its a good idea to take further maths.

If you can do 5 a-levels at AS, then if you don't like further maths, you can just drop and still have 4 AS subjects like the majority of people.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

i took it..... then changed to engineering next semester.... it prepared me pretty well.... i went from getting a B in maths to an A in engmaths the next year..... as for being hard.... only because people are generally too ashamed to ask the tutors for help.....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
I'm currently doing it and it is tricky, you need to put the work in.
However because its seen as such a hard A-level universities will love you even if you dont get an amazing grade.
I have ridiculously low maths ability, so I doubt I'll be taking this....
Quote by Callumcafc
Hah, I just went for it dude, I'm not worried just yet that my timetable is gonna be:
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Further Maths

thats exactly what im taking! on further maths being hard, if you got an A at GCSE and you are willing to put the effort in its fine
its not too bad considering u can put the work in, an awful lots concentrates on integration, and i mean a LOT so if u dnt like that, dnt do it..
Quote by SlicedBread
thats exactly what im taking! on further maths being hard, if you got an A at GCSE and you are willing to put the effort in its fine

High five me brother! I took GCSE a year early & got an A* (but I'm not here to boast ).

I'm just doing a year with an AS Level Maths group this year in order to prepare me for it in Year 12.
Quote by Demonn
its not too bad considering u can put the work in, an awful lots concentrates on integration, and i mean a LOT so if u dnt like that, dnt do it..

Depends on exam board and your college
AS I didn't do much calculus. But since at A2 we're doing the Differential Equations module, theres a lot in it, aswell as in FP2.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

No matter what anyone tells you, Further maths is hard. You'll come across quite a few concepts that make you think "what the fuck does that mean", but as long as you keep at it you'll eventually understand everything. Also, Further Pure 2 is probably one of the hardest modules you'll do in any subject, it's stupidly hard to get to grips with. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, the opposite in fact seeing as I do it myself, but just know it'll be hard.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Can I ask, what does further maths consist of? Calc? DifEq?
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Go for it! I did Maths & Further Maths at A level - while ago now mind, and they basically guaranteed us an A in the single maths if we did further.

Worst case you can always drop the further maths right? But don't unless you are really overloaded - I couldn't get my head around pure maths for ages - to the point where I got predicted a D and a U (yes, even considering the above) - but doing every past paper I could lay my hands on got me an A and a B in the end, so even if you're struggling its worth sticking at it.

Assuming they do it the way we did, and you take the exams for both Maths and Further Maths at the end of the course, its kind of like doing all the work for your GCSE's and then taking the 11 plus, cos you've done so much more than single maths it seems really easy by the time you take it.

Made uni a hell of a lot easier too - I did engineering and having the extra maths behind me helped a lot.
As a Junior in Mechanical Engineering, having completed all my math requirements, I have never heard of Further Mathematics.

Care to elaborate on what it is about anyone?
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by pr0pedestrian
Can I ask, what does further maths consist of? Calc? DifEq?

The Pure modules include a lot of calculus, differential equations, trigonometry, polynomials and roots, complex numbers, graphs of various functions, all the sort of stuff you'd expect from core 1-4 with the difficulty ramped up a bit and a few new concepts, as well as combinations of pretty much all those topics. The rest of it depends on which application modules you do.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I wouldn't be that worried about further maths; if you're considering it you're probably good enough at maths/like maths enough to work at it. You'll probably find further maths much more interesting that the regular stuff too, I remember first time I saw proof by induction (may be on normal a-level in a different syllabus) and found that quite intriguing.. Enough to study maths at university anyway!

From what I remember the hardest part of the fps was the integration stuff; but tbh most of its given in a formula book and you don't actually have to do a lot... It turned out that I did better in the Fp stuff than stats 1 so it can't be that hard! (And stats is one of my major concentrations now...)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I took just maths in the first year of college, but then took AS further maths in the second year. I would advise that because by the end of that first year you will no how good you are/want to be at maths.
Some universities respect further maths just at AS and it can improve your chances of getting into uni, especially if you're going to do a maths degree.

I applied for Leeds University to do maths and had to get AAA to get in, but they also said I could get in with AA and an A in AS further maths and that's how I ended up getting in as I only get AAB in my full A-levels.
It is hard, anyone who tells you otherwise is either a genius or lying
However, it is certainly doable if you actually work. (I didn't, and I'm going to have a horrible amount of resits come the summer )

EDIT: damn smileys playing up
Up The Boro!
Last edited by Oddsbodkins at Jan 28, 2009,
Only the Brits would name a course "further maths".
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Quote by power freak
I wouldn't be that worried about further maths; if you're considering it you're probably good enough at maths/like maths enough to work at it. You'll probably find further maths much more interesting that the regular stuff too, I remember first time I saw proof by induction (may be on normal a-level in a different syllabus) and found that quite intriguing.. Enough to study maths at university anyway!

From what I remember the hardest part of the fps was the integration stuff; but tbh most of its given in a formula book and you don't actually have to do a lot... It turned out that I did better in the Fp stuff than stats 1 so it can't be that hard! (And stats is one of my major concentrations now...)

hahah thats the exact story of my maths... FP1 - A S1 - D
Further maths is great if your interested in maths, otherwise dont even consider it... its something you have to want to do, not just do because you think you might be able to.
For a second, I was all like "Hey, DieGarbageMan is unbanned!"

Then I was like "Wait, somebody just bumped on of his threads"

Then I was all like ""
Quote by DieGarbageMan
As college students may know,
Further Mathematics is one of the most rigorous subjects to take.

I consider myself to be good at maths, but i've heard it is bordering on extremly tough.

Any advise from students who have taken it and/or have friends who have taken it?

thanks.

It isn't too tough, for my A levels I intended on doing:
Philosophy
Physics
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry

But my timetable meant I had to drop Further Maths .

To be honest, as long as you're good at Maths, and reliably organised then you should be fine. However, one thing to bear in mind, unless you plan on doing pure maths at a top university, then Further Maths is not necessary, and time could be spent on doing more beneficial things, such as a different course, or extra curricular activities. Most Uni's don't count Maths and Further Maths as separate A levels, so keep that in mind.

Wait.....

GODDAMN NECRO!!!!!!
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Sep 20, 2009,
A Level maths was the worst experience of my entire life.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by greenwoodfan93
It isn't too tough, for my A levels I intended on doing:
Philosophy
Physics
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry

But my timetable meant I had to drop Further Maths .

To be honest, as long as you're good at Maths, and reliably organised then you should be fine. However, one thing to bear in mind, unless you plan on doing pure maths at a top university, then Further Maths is not necessary, and time could be spent on doing more beneficial things, such as a different course, or extra curricular activities. Most Uni's don't count Maths and Further Maths as separate A levels, so keep that in mind.

Eh? Maths and Further Maths ARE separate A levels and are always treated as such.

Further Maths is pretty handy for physics too. Most of my maths modules in first year physics were stuff I'd covered in Further Maths. Made first year that little bit more easy. Not that it was hard in the first place.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Callumcafc
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Further Maths

Same as me here, I just finished with A's in everything but Chemistry. Further maths makes core maths look easy, but it's a hard push at the start if you haven't kept your maths up to scratch over the summer (IE you've forgotten everything... I've just realised I've done it again after A-levels, I'm doing maths/physics at uni).

But yeah, I'd give it a shot if you got an A or better at GCSE. I scraped an A*, but hey. Did literally no work at GCSE.
Quote by Meths
Eh? Maths and Further Maths ARE separate A levels and are always treated as such.

Further Maths is pretty handy for physics too. Most of my maths modules in first year physics were stuff I'd covered in Further Maths. Made first year that little bit more easy. Not that it was hard in the first place.

Sorry, I was a little unclear, what I meant was that, say a University required you to have three As at A level to get in, an A in Maths, Further Maths, and Physics wouldn't count, it would have to be three different A levels. So its not ideal for boosting your grades.
love A level core maths, but don't take further maths; wish I had in place of ****ty biology, might of done a bit better at AS If i'd actually liked all of the subjects
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by greenwoodfan93
Sorry, I was a little unclear, what I meant was that, say a University required you to have three As at A level to get in, an A in Maths, Further Maths, and Physics wouldn't count, it would have to be three different A levels. So its not ideal for boosting your grades.

that's just reiterating the point you said previously.. which is bull
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

''GCE A level subjects should not overlap, e.g. Maths and Further Maths''

Quote by will123456789
that's just reiterating the point you said previously.. which is bull

orly
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by greenwoodfan93

You're still wrong. Further Maths is considered to be a separate A level. In fact many unis make allowances for how tough Further Maths is; 3 As would be reduced to 2 As and a B in Further Maths.

On topic: I took Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. Bow before my mighty science skills.

That wasn't really on topic but I haven't boasted about it for a while.

If you do Further Maths, make sure you do well on your applied modules. They're piss easy. FP1 is pretty easy, not really much tougher than C4 but FP2 is a right cunt. They usually normalise the shit out of the results though because everyone does so poorly on it. Don't get too disheartened if you walk out of the exam feeling like you did badly.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Kensai

I'm a maths sutudent...that was spot on
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.