Alright, this is my problem:
I'm trying to create some kind of solo using the aeolian mode. I've created a melodic sounding build up to it, which sounds awesome (imo), and actually started the solo it's self... But now I'm stuck.

I have uploaded a power-tab version of what I've done so far. It can be found here.

If anyone has an idea please reply. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: My style of guitar playing is metal/metalcore (ie. All That Remains, BFMV), but I'm trying to make this a sad & dark sounding solo that uses nothing faster than 16th notes.
Last edited by Patriot2011 at Jan 28, 2009,
As far as metal goes, I like what you have going on there. My traditional response is "write your own damn song", but I like it so much that I might try to come up with something. Give me a few minutes.

Side note: It would probably be more accurate to refer to your song as minor rather than aeolian.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm too out of it to do work, but what i'd suggest you do to help is hear the crucial parts in your head. Know the mood you want to create, and hear where you want those high notes, hear where you want that dissonance. You know what i mean?

/posting whilst tripping.
Archeo: Oh, You don't have to make a solo for me. If you want to that's fine, but I'm just trying to figure out what kind of scale I could use next, while still keeping that minor sound alive. See, that last part switched up to locrian, which still sounds good to me, but it's diminished. I want to be able to have a sad & dark feel to it, but the next minor (I think) would be phrygian, which imo sounds to high pitched for the mood... Maybe I'm just using it wrong, idk...
Quote by Patriot2011
Archeo: Oh, You don't have to make a solo for me. If you want to that's fine, but I'm just trying to figure out what kind of scale I could use next, while still keeping that minor sound alive. See, that last part switched up to locrian, which still sounds good to me, but it's diminished. I want to be able to have a sad & dark feel to it, but the next minor (I think) would be phrygian, which imo sounds to high pitched for the mood... Maybe I'm just using it wrong, idk...

It sounds to me like you think that modes are box shapes. This is not so. I don't see anything locrian about the song, though there are some chromatic tones thrown in on a few measures. Read the sticky and make sure you understand the basics before worrying about modes.

I put a few licks in there and put down a few rhythm parts that I thought sounded interesting. I'm a bit out of my element here (metal isn't my strong suit), but I don't think they sound absolutely terrible.
Attachments:
Help.zip
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.