can i play arpeggios without sweeping them, like just solo out of a couple of the forms, in different positions?
If you're writing music, you can do whatever the hell you want. If it sounds good to you, go for it. You can do anything you want with your solos, don't let anyone tell you how to solo. I can't sweep for ****, but i still use arpeggios in solos.
I would also like to add that if your gonna play arpeggios that go straight up or down the fretboard, you might as well sweep them to economize your playing.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by allislost
I would also like to add that if your gonna play arpeggios that go straight up or down the fretboard, you might as well sweep them to economize your playing.

That would depend on the sound you wanted.
In alternate picking, the difference between an upstroke and downstroke on a single note is very small.

Is that what you're talking about blueriver or are you talking about something else?
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
You can sweep slowly, believe it or not. Sweeping is a technique, not a speed.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by dbrufus1234
can i play arpeggios without sweeping them, like just solo out of a couple of the forms, in different positions?

ofcourse. sweeping really has little to do with arpeggios. (other than sweeping is often used by guitarists to play them really fast).

Another thing to consider......Other instruments that can't sweep....... can play arpeggios.
well if im playing one slow enough i find it easier just to pick it out then sweep. to me sweeps are a high speed only thing but it dosent really matter what ever gets the right sound is good.
Quote by HeavyDT
well if im playing one slow enough i find it easier just to pick it out then sweep. to me sweeps are a high speed only thing but it dosent really matter what ever gets the right sound is good.

That's an unfortunately closed-minded view of a technique.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.