Alright, so I'm looking to start composing some jazz tunes. Whats the most effective way of composing some progressions...like not just your simple I-IV-ii-V-whatever progressions, but like those "outside" progressions, the ones that hop around keys a little.

Thanks.
thats a cadence, not an entire progression...

and if you read my post, im looking for some "out" stuff.

and furthermore, i know what a ii-V-I is...
Last edited by PinkFloyd73 at Jan 28, 2009,
well if you understand ii-V-Is and V of V of V...etc progressions, you would realize that they jump through multiple keys.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
One does not simply "start composing some jazz tunes", especially those ones that "hop around keys a little".

Can you read music? If not, learn how. Then pick yourself up a good fake book as well as a few good theory textbooks and study both of them. Start transcribing some famous jazz pieces and analyze them. On top of that, find a good teacher.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
All of those i have done. I can read music. Ive been playing standards for about a year now. Ive been working on writing songs, and ive got a great teache

All im looking for some help, much like what aether just said. It was quite helpful, thank you.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
thats a cadence, not an entire progression...

and if you read my post, im looking for some "out" stuff.

and furthermore, i know what a ii-V-I is...

No, it is definitely an entire progression, and by far the mainstay of jazz music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.

No, it is definitely an entire progression, and by far the mainstay of jazz music.

agreed, check autumn leaves, the whole song is ii V I in major then minor and back and forth.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Pinkfloyd isn't entirely incorrect. Many people (and many textbooks) would describe ii-V-I as a cadence rather than a true progression. That said, many people use the term "progression" to describe any "chordal movement". When discussing tonal harmony, some theorists do use a more restricted definition of the term that doesn't include a simple and continual resolution to the tonic chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Why not start with ii V I progressions, but make them interest you? You asked for outside ideas, but make some yourself from what you know build on it because it's good stuff and the basis of a great deal of jazz. But embellish chords, substitute chords, modulate smoothly and then you'll find you have a pretty interesting progression which you fully understand. Building on what you already know is better for learning, and also you've set a challenge, to sound out there... so make it do that too.
also for a standard 12-bar blues, if you have two measures hanging on one chord, why not make a ii V I out of it?
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Study modern jazz tunes. Maybe take a look at some Wayne Shorter tunes.
12 fret fury
Learn some predominants, chord subs and different cadences.
Maybe learn how to do some "modal progressions" (still not sure if I agree it's actually "modal" or not), like ii - V7 progressions and modulate in and out of them.
Learn how to modulate. This is especially helpfull if you use some subs or secondary dominants.
Learn how to harmonize a melody (write chords for a melody). Learn how to use chromatic parts, especially in the bass.
Definitely analyze some jazz progressions.

Sometimes a composer will just pick a chord because it has good voiceleading between two other chords.

And yes, ii-V-I is the "mainstay" of jazz, but generally it'll be repeated and modulated with other chords added in.

Hey, sometimes a composer will just keep mashing random chords until something sounds right.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
"Jazzology" from Hal Leonard would be a good place to start. Great book, simplifies and demystifies those "outside" progressions.

If you really want something to sound "outside", just play unrelated chords, with your trusty ol' ii-V-I at hand just in case. And I'm serious.
Thanks guys, im having some luck.
Demon: Ya ive done the melody first, but i always have a little trouble with doing that. THough i did that and had a pretty wicked progerssion. Couldnt repeat that though....
V of V is cool. That is where you play the V chord of a key, and move round the circle of fifths anti-clockwise.

Also, if you do a ii - V - I and move round the cycle ant-clockwise. E.g. If you were in Eb major, you would play;

F min Bb dom Eb maj - then - Bb min Eb dom Ab maj

All these examples can work out great, and I got them from listening to the masters George Gershwin and John Coltrane.