I'm really sorry if these type of threads aren't allowed, I didn't see anything that said they weren't permitted. But I'm trying to work on my ear by figuring out what keys songs are in. I'm trying to figure out sublime's "Wrong Way", which is a simple song, but is confusing me. The chords used in the song are A, B, C, D, E, F# and G, all major. The E minor scale uses these notes, so I would think the song is in E minor. The song begins with and uses an E MAJOR chord throughout the song. Is this possible?
sorry, I worded that badly. its clearly possible for a song to have that, because it did. I mean is it possible for the song to be in E minor if it prominently features an E major chord.
The chords used in the song are A, B, C, D, E, F# and G, all major. The E minor scale uses these notes

No key contains those chords. Are you sure those are the chords being used?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The only major chords E minor contains are G and C... everything else is minor
not chords.. i know no key contains these chords. I'm just saying that both e minor and g major scales contain these NOTES, without concerning minor or major. it was the closest relation i could find. Can somebody experienced in this stuff listen to the song and let me know what key it's in? I can't figure it out.
Quote by FbFrEeK82
not chords.. i know no key contains these chords. I'm just saying that both e minor and g major scales contain these NOTES, without concerning minor or major. it was the closest relation i could find. Can somebody experienced in this stuff listen to the song and let me know what key it's in? I can't figure it out.

You are correct that the key would seem to be E minor or G major. Can you post the chord progression? Is there a Dmaj-Gmaj or Bmaj-Em movement?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The chords are right. If anyone bothered to listen to the song it might make sense.

Wrong Way - Sublime

I hear it as a series of key changes.

The first verse is...
E D E D E D E D
A G A G A G A C

Tonally it's rather ambiguous since any of the chords E D A or G (edit: or even C) could work as the tonic and one or more of the others would be described as "borrowed" chords. You could even break this section into two parts with a key change from E to A or something.

Let's just go with A as the tonic for the whole thing - cause I said so...
V IV V IV V IV V IV
I bVII I bVII I bVII I bIII - you can look the bIII and bVII as being "borrowed form the parallel minor".

However you want to do it C is a bIII compared to A and provides a rocky sound against the A that sounds great but nevertheless given the preceding chords is unexpected and sets up a transition into the
F# E F# E F# E F# E
B A B A B A B D

If you turn this into roman numerals and use B as the tonic it is exactly the same as the first verse.

If you break each verse down into two keys it's all pretty much
I - bVII with the odd I - bIII at the end of each verse.

It's a tonally ambiguous song and can be pulled apart lot's of different ways.

If you're wanting to write an analysis of the song what I've given you is very a rough start.

If you're looking to play along with the song - just plug in and play. If you don't have a horn section for the solo then figure it out by ear on your guitar. It doesn't sound too hard.

Anymore questions - fire away.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jan 28, 2009,
thanks alot 20tigers. I'm not writing an analysis, I'm just looking to play along as well as figure out other songs' keys. So what scale would I base a solo in for this song if i wanted to jam with it?
This are the implied chords through the piece.

Soloing over everything is not handy cause it goes through keys.

Someone else can do the analysis.

intro (0:12 - 0:26)
E and D

first verse (0:27 - 0:37)

A and G

transition chord (0:38)

C

Chorus (0:40 - 0:53)
F# - E

2nd verse? (0:54 - 1:04)
B - A

transition chord (1:04)

D

Chorus? (1:06 - 1:18)

E - D

Trumpet solo

F# - E

CHORD CHART:

Intro |A & G|F#& E|B & A|E & D|

e|-----|-5-3-|-7-5-|-7-5-|-----|
B|-9-7-|-5-3-|-8-6-|-7-5-|-9-7-|
G|-9-7-|-6-4-|-7-5-|-8-6-|-9-7-|
D|-9-7-|-----|-----|-----|-9-7-|
A|-7-5-|-----|-----|-----|-----|
E|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
so i would... start off with e major, then a major, skip the c and go to f# major, etc?
Quote by FbFrEeK82
so i would... start off with e major, then a major, skip the c and go to f# major, etc?

no;

if you have 2 major chords 1 whole step apart, then the Chord that is 1 step higher then the other is the 5th chord of it's major scale (a perfect 5th higher then the tonic of it's Major scale)

E = 1 step higher then D, so E is the 5th chord of it's major scale, which is A Major (scale)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 30, 2009,
So like E Mixo (parent = A major) for the E-D part
A Mixo (parent = D Major) - in the A-G part and the C chord then into
F# Mixo (parent = B Major) - over the F#-E part and finally
B Mixo (parent = E Major) - over the B - A

I can't stream till next month, is the trumpet solo sounding F# mixolydian to you Darren?
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers
So like E Mixo (parent = A major) for the E-D part
A Mixo (parent = D Major) - in the A-G part and the C chord then into
F# Mixo (parent = B Major) - over the F#-E part and finally
B Mixo (parent = E Major) - over the B - A

I can't stream till next month, is the trumpet solo sounding F# mixolydian to you Darren?

Yes, but it's ambiguous.

The trumpetist avoids the major 6th interval entirely (D#).

And it plays a chromatic run with a minor 3rd added,, but he plays that minor 3rd just once.

He basically plays in a F# Mixolydian scale with no major 6th.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
lol I just realized my post was all the wrong way around. It's late here I need sleep.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
lol I just realized my post was all the wrong way around. It's late here I need sleep.

lol, it happens.

**fixed**

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
wow, i should have figured that out for myself. but thanks alot, now I know for the future. So if I wanted to jam along with the entire song, I would need to change the scale I was playing with every key change, correct?
Quote by FbFrEeK82
wow, i should have figured that out for myself. but thanks alot, now I know for the future. So if I wanted to jam along with the entire song, I would need to change the scale I was playing with every key change, correct?

Jup jup,

Although like what they did with the Trumpet solo, they just choose 2 chords of the song to solo over, and let that progression repeat a few times.

This is aurally the nicest thing to do normally, but if you wanna try it out following the changes be my guest

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
thanks alot. I hope I can come to you guys if i run into future problems? I'm not gonna come asking you what the key of every song is when I can't figrue it out, but this song was kind of a puzzle for me cause of all the key changes. Thanks again!