Is there anything I can do, take it back to the shop or anything? I got it for christmas and kinda got swept up in the looks of it, but I can't find anywhere comfortable with it, I can't play anything other than a chugging metaly riffs on it because of how I strum chords I catch my arm on the goddamn points.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Let's all point and laugh at the n00b who bought a Dean

Seriously though, try playing standing up. If you only learn to play sitting down, when you finally do play in front of others standing up, you'll be totally buggered.

Oh, and since you made the mistake of buying a Dean, I am obligated to tell you this: make sure the strap is around your shoulder before you stand up and play. OH! And don't forget tot turn your amp on.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Jan 28, 2009,
what guitar is it? if you dont like it, then I guess you should take it back, although it might seem a little rude to the person who gave it to you..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
don't call him a noob i've played some awesome deans but mostly man u can get used to it i've seen it happen sitting down there a pain of course stand up and wear it low is the best way to play a razorback.
Keep On Keepen' On
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Try playing standing up.
This.
The horns and the sharp and pointy stuff won't be much in the way once you're standing.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]'] Let's all point and laugh at the n00b who bought a Dean

Seriously though, try playing standing up. If you only learn to play sitting down, when you finally do play in front of others standing up, you'll be totally buggered.

Oh, and since you made the mistake of buying a Dean, I am obligated to tell you this: make sure the strap is around your shoulder before you stand up and play. OH! And don't forget tot turn your amp on.

Smartarse The cheap ass £90 Dean I own is fantastic! I assumed, going up the range would equal better but it's just not for me. The strumming I do standing up and always end up with a line down my arm where I catch it on that cut, might be the way I play.

I mean it's a great guitar and everything, but I can't get comfy with it, no matter where I have it unless I'm playing a single note riff.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]'] Let's all point and laugh at the n00b who bought a Dean

Dude- Dean makes guitars other than the "pointy" ones- I own an EVO SS and a TC Cadillac. Fine instruments both.

Its not the maker, its the model. (Admittedly the Dean "pointies" are among the worst, though, in terms of electronics.) I wouldn't buy a pointy guitar to save my life- I play seated about 50% of the time, so they're not for me- pointy guitars are really made to be played in a standing position.

SimplyBen, first of all, talk to the person who gave you the gift. Tell them you appreciate the thought, but you find that particular guitar uncomfortable to play (or tell them the white lie that there's an electronics defect) and you need to know the shop's return & exchange policy. If they're decent folk, they'll understand.

Once you find that out, try to return/exchange the guitar for something more to your liking. If you enjoy the sound of your Dean, try one of the other models that are similarly equipped. Judging by the price you quoted, I know you can find EVOs, Vendettas, Zones, and Cadillacs in about the same price range, +- a few.

Besides Deans, there are countless guitars suitable for hard rock/metal in that price range from makers like Ibanez, ESP, Epiphone and even lesser-known builders like Malden (http://www.maldenguitars.com/stiger.htm)...though that would probably require going mail-order.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 28, 2009,

wow your such a f***in dumba**, that I'M actually "obligated" to let you know that your headstock is far up your a**.

TO TOPIC: take it back if you dont like it, sell it if you dont like it, learn to work around the points.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
dannyalcatraz, that is the most help I have ever gotten on the internet. Ever. Thanks very much

The gift giver was 50% me and 50% my parents so it doesn't matter too much about anything like that. I'll go speak to the store owner tomorrow see what he has to say.

Would I be able to return for an electrical fault? I've only had it just over a month now and I'm thinking it might be worth the guitar suffering a minor technical fault (loose wiring or something) so I can get my money back. But I dunno if that would work really.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by heretic-clown
wow your such a f***in dumba**, that I'M actually "obligated" to let you know that your headstock is far up your a**.

TO TOPIC: take it back if you dont like it, sell it if you dont like it, learn to work around the points.

It's called a joke. Go swallow a fistful of midol and take a ****in nap.
Quote by Racer X
my 250 dollar dean > my 500 dollar jackson

this is hilarious. no dean not even a custom USA made dean will be of equal awesomeness as a Jackson.

EVER

on topic, if you dont like the guitar, return it and swap it out for something that would be more comfortable or something that you like better. it should always be playability first, looks second
Quote by heretic-clown

You wouldn't know a joke if it kicked you in the knickers, now would you?

Quote by ironman1478
this is hilarious. no dean not even a custom USA made dean will be of equal awesomeness as a Jackson.

EVER

That's not correct.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 28, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's called a joke. Go swallow a fistful of midol and take a ****in nap.

lol dunno about midol but a nap sounds good
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by SimplyBen
dannyalcatraz, that is the most help I have ever gotten on the internet. Ever. Thanks very much

The gift giver was 50% me and 50% my parents so it doesn't matter too much about anything like that. I'll go speak to the store owner tomorrow see what he has to say.

Would I be able to return for an electrical fault? I've only had it just over a month now and I'm thinking it might be worth the guitar suffering a minor technical fault (loose wiring or something) so I can get my money back. But I dunno if that would work really.

I'm glad I helped!

Usually, if something is defective or allegedly defective, most cool retailers will stretch their return policies- at least in the USA. They're more interested in satisfying the customer in front of them to hopefully make you a repeat customer (the true goldmine of retail sales) than hope that they'll sell things to a constant stream of new customers. They're also aware of the power of word-of-mouth advertising. Happy customers tend to bring in more customers.

Some companies are harda$$ed, though, and unless you cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s, they won't let you do a return.

Call them first and ask about their policy on returns- don't use your name- that way you'll know what path you need to take.

EVER

That's not correct.

Well, it may be right for him in his world, but I'd agree its probably not an objective fact.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!