Hey, quick question.

I burned my computers motherboard then I bought a new motherboard to find out that the processor also got burned. So i need to buy a new one. The one i had was a Celeron 3.5Ghz. More mhz doesnt mean its faster, but i would like to know, for home recording (i have a firepod with the small Cubase software that comes with it) what is the recommended speed for a processor? Right now i dont have the money to buy a 3.5Ghz, but will it hurt me later on if i dont buy one???

Thanks UG
Last edited by Pabli7o at Jan 30, 2009,
Intel is the best! for processors that is...Get a core 2 duo or quad core. Pretty much much what pretanga said.
Hey man! I would do a complete upgrade if you can. No use sitting around trying to build upon crap. Not to offend but Celereon is horrible. Also, it is always a good investment to upgrade your computer and to know how to do it.

If you have your new motherboard already: (cheaper route)
A.)Find out what it can support. If it cannot support Core2 Duo (at least) or dual core of any kind take it back if you can. Stay away from celeron it is the suck. Pentium at least.
B.)Make sure it supports DDR2 memory. DRR is to expensive and slow
C.)If it does support Core2 Duo Get what you can. The faster the better.

If you can take the motherboard back: (more expensive route)
A.)Get a solid motherboard from ASUS, Gigabyte, or Intel. Those are the ones I trust for sure. Make sure it supports Core2Duo, DDR2, and PCI-Express.
B.) go with socket 775 if you want to go with Intel Processors(my preferance at the moment). Also, make sure look and see if it also supports QuadCore as well, because the industry standard is going that direction and would be an easy upgrade in the future.
C.)As for memory get as mush as you can. Corsair is the best but centon will get you through and you can upgrade DDR2 for cheap later.

Go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com to shop around. Don't go to BestBuy either they will try and stich you up hardcore.

If you have anymore questions let me know.
ure best bet is to go to a non superstore- local shops. otr shop on the previous mentioned sites.

make sure the new mother board has pci express slots . and if its possible get it with sli compatibility.

you can get a mobo and cpu dual core combo for about $140
go for a dual core .

quads are a little bit more expensive . amd phenoms are a very good processors.
and u mean 3.5 ghz . cuz not even my vintage intel pentium 1 has 3.5 mhz.

and mhz means faster but . u can have an celeron at 3.5ghz and have a 3.06 ghz pentium 4 with HT and itl go a lot faster.

so you can have more power but not know how to use it . thats how some processors work.

and do no be decived by dual core and quad core speeds. because most of the are on the 2.0 ghz range but thats the speed of seach core.

pm me if you need any help. im a certified IT technician.
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard
Limited edition Schecter omen 7
Custom RR V with emgs 81/85,24 frets and floyd.

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
Last edited by airslashfury at Jan 28, 2009,
Thank you so much for all the info!!!
Here is the motherboard i bough.

Maybe i should be more clear, my first post was too quick.
My friend's brother is doing me the favor (or so i thought) of putting all together and when i went to his house he told me that the processor i had (the Celeron 3.5Ghz) didnt work (i saw it with my own eyes), but it was a piece of crap anyways and that he had an Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz he can put in it, so great!.

Today my friend texted me saying that his brother finished doing everything, and installing everything and that he is charging me 180 bucks!!! so im thinking he is charging me for the processor, right? i was hoping to give him like 30 bucks, the most, for the labor. he is my friend's brother after all, and he never said he was charging me.

tl;dr- So now im looking for a cheaper processor, but my question is to swallow my pride and just take it because in the long run it'll help me or try to find a cheaper one?

You can't buy a processor these days that would be inadequate for audio recording. If you're using tons of plugins, then yes, you need the horsepower. If you're using them sanely, then you can get by with surprisingly little.

We did our album - each song upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio with FX, EQ as appropriate - on my computer running Cubase SX2 and WinXP sp2.

Get this....

CELERON 1.7 Ghz processor (not dual core, not overclocked... )
512 MB RAM
Motherboard bus speed in the 400 range.

It went NO problem.

Mind you, it was a well-maintained machine and was dedicated almost exclusively to audio. But still... you can't buy a processor that even comes close to 'competing' with that these days.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just make sure you dont fall for the ghz myth.

A 4 ghz processor will get its ass kicked by a 2.0 ghz dual core.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
Just make sure you dont fall for the mhz myth.

A 4 ghz processor will get its ass kicked by a 2.0 ghz dual core.

I'm not quite sure you have understood the whole mhz myth yourself.

Basically the whole thing was about the fact that processors speed is not just down to the clock speed. There are many there factors such as the pipeline stages and cache design/size that contribute to overall speed.

The number of cores was nothing to do with it. Especially seeing as dual core processors came along MUCH later than the myth really came about.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
because i had a celeron 3.5Ghz and never had a problem. I've only had up to 15 tracks or so and some VST's like ezdrummer and such.

I liked the MORE Ram and Disk Space idea. Sounds logical, can somebody reassure that?

The main problem is that i dont have the money to buy a $200 processor right at this moment and i need the computer for one of my Composition classes in college.

Thanks everyone for the different ideas, keep them coming.
Quote by Pabli7o
because i had a celeron 3.5mhz and never had a problem. I've only had up to 15 tracks or so and some VST's like ezdrummer and such.

I liked the MORE Ram and Disk Space idea. Sounds logical, can somebody reassure that?

The main problem is that i dont have the money to buy a $200 processor right at this moment and i need the computer for one of my Composition classes in college.

Thanks everyone for the different ideas, keep them coming.

AHHhh it's Ghz sorry I had to correct you there because every post you have said mhz.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
oppps!!!! i knew that idk why i kept writing it like that. Thanks

Edit: Fixed (all of them)
In very general terms... and this really is overgeneralizing a bit....

Processor = EQ/FX plugins
RAM = samples
disk speed - track count

Maxing out your RAM won't help much unless you're using a lot of samples

Unless you're using a ton of power-hungry plugins like the Waves reverbs, you don't need to max out on a processor.

Mind you... if you can get a 10 000 rpm hard drive, you'll get tons of tracks.

The things that are very important are:
-dedicate your machine as much as possible to audio only
-turn off any unnecessary services, graphics, etc.
-put your audio tracks on a separate physical drive from your OS and recording software
-make sure that separate physical drive is on the same IDE or SATA channel as your primary HD.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
The things that are very important are:
-dedicate your machine as much as possible to audio only
-turn off any unnecessary services, graphics, etc.
-put your audio tracks on a separate physical drive from your OS and recording software
-make sure that separate physical drive is on the same IDE or SATA channel as your primary HD.

Words to live by.