Hi, was wondering if it was possible to use an electric guitar as a bass. Me and some friends have been in a band for a while without a bass. We fell that that a bass would hold are sound together, so our lead singer/guitarist has volunteered to be a lead singer/bassist,

so, can we turn a guitar into a bass?
The pick of destiny wasn't made from the tooth of the devil, it was made from mine.
If you buy a digitech whammy pedal, you can do the octaver thingy so it's tuned like a bass. Otherwise, i don't think it's possible. Plus, considering how i got a REAL bass and amp for less than the cost of a whammy pedal, it's probably not worth it just for that.
Well, you can get a baritone guitar, which can be tuned to EADGBE, but an octave down.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you buy a digitech whammy pedal, you can do the octaver thingy so it's tuned like a bass. Otherwise, i don't think it's possible. Plus, considering how i got a REAL bass and amp for less than the cost of a whammy pedal, it's probably not worth it just for that.

Yeah, just thought i would ask.
The pick of destiny wasn't made from the tooth of the devil, it was made from mine.
For the love of all that's holy NO!!!!

you can make a guitar sound a bit like a bass but it'll never come close to the real thing. Just find a bassist.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Go on Craigslist and buy a bass and bass amp.

Problem solved.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
8 string guitar.

Drop the strings 5, 6, 7 and 8 one step.

Charlie Hunter does something similar to that, except he only tunes 6, 7, and 8 as a bass. His top 5 are standard guitar tuning. In his hands, its fairly convincing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hunter

Then again, he is teh awesome. AND he uses things like Novax Fanned Fret necks and their custom guitars (http://www.novaxguitars.com/)

And even HE has apparently moved to preferring a 7 string these days.

Otherwise, baritones and/or alternative tunings (like C-G-D-A-E-G) can get you in similar territory...but only a bass can really get low.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 28, 2009,