What songs would you recommend to play at an audition for Berklee? (Any genre is fine) Im not auditioning im just wondering how good i would have to be.
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Visit the website and read through their audition requirements. You're probably better off picking something that shows that you know how to approach something harmonically and structurally complex. Some jazz is always a nice bet.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Visit the website and read through their audition requirements.

I did i was just wondering how hard the piece had to be, and if anyone can tell me what songs they played (and got in with).

EDIT: Can you recomend me any jazz pieces?
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Last edited by (b)ass at Jan 28, 2009,
what jazz have you studied?
if you havent, its a dumb idea to play jazz, an extremely complex idiom if your not comfortable with it especially at berklee.
play something you can play well and beast the hell out of. If you play really well and sound really good, Berklee won't care what genre it is.

EDIT: if you know jazz reasonably well (can play changes, walk a bass line etc.) a piece that you can play under pressure but is also moderatly difficult would be good. something like all the things you are, autumn leaves etc. a good med-up standard. I played On Green Dolphin Street for my audition and Im getting my results this Sunday. Use a play-along CD, aebersold or something similar. There probobly going to expect you to play the head, improvise a solo and a walking bass line. Make sure you pan the bass out on the playalong-or bring a piano player to accompany you.
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Jan 28, 2009,
alright thanks, what about the sight reading? how hard was it?

EDIT:

oh could you PM me if you get in, im just curious
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Last edited by (b)ass at Jan 28, 2009,
a fantastic piece to audition with that instantly comes to mind is Sleigh Bells by Stu Hamm. Monstrous song.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
never heard that one before *searches it on youtube*
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
yeah or ill post on this thread/ make a thread here or in the pit or something to gloat/whine.

um i auditioned on guitar the sightreading wasnt too bad, got it my second time...the auditioner was nice enough to accompany me (comp the chords as i played the melody) then asked me to comp the chords (which i think i screwed up) it took me two tries to get the example he had me play and i think i may have screwed it up a bit (hit a wrong note or two) due to nerves/it being syncopated (latin). (the second one). They are supposed to have you do each example untill you cannot do one, but for me he skipped the first one (theres four ranging from easist to hardest- one was a simple thing youd see in a begginer book, the second one was a latin melody, the third a fast swing melody and the fourth--if i recall more beboppy). But he skipped the first, then stopped me after the second. They give you time to look over the reading material though (like 15 min). For the ear training they play or sing something--you play it back, not exactly rocket science. Theres also a theory part that was primarily chord/scale spelling, interval stuff (whats a major 3rd up from G, a Major 9th etc), some questions about natural and altered tensions and chord progressions...nothing crazy.
Study hard and good luck!

EDIT:
my auditioners were also really nice and chill, which was great.
Also remember that while it is competitive, berklee has a rather large entering class (at least 1500), you have to be good and be the right candidate--they are not like New England Conservatory or Juliard or Manhattan School of Music or the Curtis Institute or Eastman though; you do not have to be in the best 3 out of 50 people on your instrument--more like the top hundread or two out of 500 or 600 (or seemingly two or three million if your unfortunate and play guitar).
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Jan 28, 2009,
You could do Bach's Prelude to Cello Suite no.1. It's a nice piece that can be technical depending on how you arange it. Do something strange. They might like it.

Plus, having seen Crossroads, everyone should know that it's super cool when you put a new spin on a beloved classical favorite

Really though, you can play the piece "straight" on an electric bass and it will still sound cool. If you go off the beaten path, include a transcription of your arrangement so they know you're not just 'winging it'.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by (b)ass
never heard that one before *searches it on youtube*

well it's not likely you'll find it on youtube. as far as i know it's only on a little-known christmas compilation album called "Merry Axemas" there are 2 of them though. Really though dl both of them, they're fantastic and sleigh bells by hamm is amazing.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

The Bach piece would be intresting to play on electric bass

Quote by Ace88
well it's not likely you'll find it on youtube. as far as i know it's only on a little-known christmas compilation album called "Merry Axemas" there are 2 of them though. Really though dl both of them, they're fantastic and sleigh bells by hamm is amazing.

Yeah I couldn't find it on youtube, i usally check there before i search limewire.
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
lucky for you dude i managed to find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwuVFYjrA0&feature=PlayList&p=DB7F66EF53E939FC&playnext=1&index=73

great song i think, lots of different techniques in there, Stu is the ****ing man
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I know its kind of an odd choice, but one of my brothers got into Berklee by playing Unquestionable Presence by Atheist and How Could I? by Cynic, they're both jazzy metal songs with some very nice bass playing, I doubt you'll end up doing them, but honestly, I would check them out.
Quote by Ace88
lucky for you dude i managed to find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwuVFYjrA0&feature=PlayList&p=DB7F66EF53E939FC&playnext=1&index=73

great song i think, lots of different techniques in there, Stu is the ****ing man

thanks for finding, i think i have heard it before but not that version of it. anyways thanks again
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3