Page 1 of 2
Ok, I have and we've been really grooving for a little over a month now but problems are starting to arise and I have no idea what to do. I'll present them one-by-one.

1. Our "genius" drummer decided to bring his brother to practice since his brother supposedly plays the bass. The problem is, he can't play at all and makes no attempt to be a part of the band. My guitar teacher was kind enough to let us record our first song at his band's studio for free and while we were all recording and nailing it, he was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed tapping on his strings leaving horrible noises all over our recording. The obvious solution is to kick him out but his mother says that if he leaves, our drummer (his bro) has to leave to. This stinks because the drummer is great (not Keith Moon great but still...). We suggested having bass tryoutsbut the mother still said no. What do we do? There are better drummers that want to join but the one we have now is one of my best friends. How do we handle this situation?

2. We decided to do three cover songs before we started doing originals (we're writing originals but we won't play them until we have our covers out of the way) this way we could get an overall feeling of how things are going to work out. As it turns out our rhythm guitarist is obsessed with the Beatles (he puts the Gallagher bros. to shame) to the point where he will only agree to things that the Beatles would do. This is BS because my pick for cover song is "Just" by Radiohead. He immediately shot it down saying, "I don't think the Beatles would play Radiohead, why should we. Besides, only gays like Radiohead." This pissed me off beyond belief. It's ignorant enough to claim that a band that broke up in 1970 wouldn't play a song from 1995 because they hated it when infact it's because there was no Beatles to play it, but then he insults the musical tastes of another person (something I personally hate). He's like this with everything, I suggested adding a synth to one of our songs and his reply was, "I don't think the beatles would add a synth, why should we." How do I deal with him.

3. My rhythm guitar player plays the same 3 chords every freakin' song. If we're playing in a different key he just moves the chords up. Now he has it in his mind that he can play lead. So he told me to play to play rhythm for a song (I had no problem with doing it for one song but...) so I created a really grooving riff from 7th chords and 4th harmonies. He said it was to hard and I was messed up in the head for doing something other than power chords on the rhythm. I reminded him that he was the rhythm guitarist and if he wants the rhythm a certain way than he should play it. Anyway, his "solo" was a 3 note pentatonic run. After he played it he demoted me to "backup guitarist" without the rest of the bands permission. His reason, my solos were to good and people listening would call me better than him.

4. My final problem with the rhythm guitarist. Him and I are both the main songwriters but our songs are very different. His songs are very jonas brother-like while mine are actually about things. I wrote a song called "Hero Plane" which is about the plane that safely landed in the Hudson a few weeks ago. It featured lyrics similar to "Killer Cars" by Radiohead (the overall song had a different sound) while a background track featuring news broadcasts talking about the incident. He called it to "emo" and threw it in my paper shredder. How can an uplifiting song about a heroic event be emo?

5. I have the most unsupportive father ever. He thinks the whole thing is a joke and refuses to hear our stuff unless we play a James Taylor song. I tried to explain that we don't play that kind of music and that we're a mixture of prog/classic/grunge. When he told that he said "people won't pay to hear that. What's the point of making music if you won't make money off of it? Having fun won't get me a mansion in New Hope!" Not to mention, the other night I was playing for my grandparents and my mom and him were watching. I started to rip into the little breakdown in "Teenage Riot" when he got up and proclaimed "do you play anything I know, god you're pathetic!" and stormed off.

So, i'm tired of all of this crap I have to put up with. My current idea is to do a little solo project writting extreme prog music and having a friend that is not involved in the band sing. What do you guys suggest?
i guess you should just ditch them, they dont sound like a friendly bunch
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
murder?
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
go solo with the help of your friend on vocals
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
Quote by Musefan161
Ok, I have and we've been really grooving for a little over a month now but problems are starting to arise and I have no idea what to do. I'll present them one-by-one.

1. Our "genius" drummer decided to bring his brother to practice since his brother supposedly plays the bass. The problem is, he can't play at all and makes no attempt to be a part of the band. My guitar teacher was kind enough to let us record our first song at his band's studio for free and while we were all recording and nailing it, he was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed tapping on his strings leaving horrible noises all over our recording. The obvious solution is to kick him out but his mother says that if he leaves, our drummer (his bro) has to leave to. This stinks because the drummer is great (not Keith Moon great but still...). We suggested having bass tryoutsbut the mother still said no. What do we do? There are better drummers that want to join but the one we have now is one of my best friends. How do we handle this situation?

2. We decided to do three cover songs before we started doing originals (we're writing originals but we won't play them until we have our covers out of the way) this way we could get an overall feeling of how things are going to work out. As it turns out our rhythm guitarist is obsessed with the Beatles (he puts the Gallagher bros. to shame) to the point where he will only agree to things that the Beatles would do. This is BS because my pick for cover song is "Just" by Radiohead. He immediately shot it down saying, "I don't think the Beatles would play Radiohead, why should we. Besides, only gays like Radiohead." This pissed me off beyond belief. It's ignorant enough to claim that a band that broke up in 1970 wouldn't play a song from 1995 because they hated it when infact it's because there was no Beatles to play it, but then he insults the musical tastes of another person (something I personally hate). He's like this with everything, I suggested adding a synth to one of our songs and his reply was, "I don't think the beatles would add a synth, why should we." How do I deal with him.

3. My rhythm guitar player plays the same 3 chords every freakin' song. If we're playing in a different key he just moves the chords up. Now he has it in his mind that he can play lead. So he told me to play to play rhythm for a song (I had no problem with doing it for one song but...) so I created a really grooving riff from 7th chords and 4th harmonies. He said it was to hard and I was messed up in the head for doing something other than power chords on the rhythm. I reminded him that he was the rhythm guitarist and if he wants the rhythm a certain way than he should play it. Anyway, his "solo" was a 3 note pentatonic run. After he played it he demoted me to "backup guitarist" without the rest of the bands permission. His reason, my solos were to good and people listening would call me better than him.

4. My final problem with the rhythm guitarist. Him and I are both the main songwriters but our songs are very different. His songs are very jonas brother-like while mine are actually about things. I wrote a song called "Hero Plane" which is about the plane that safely landed in the Hudson a few weeks ago. It featured lyrics similar to "Killer Cars" by Radiohead (the overall song had a different sound) while a background track featuring news broadcasts talking about the incident. He called it to "emo" and threw it in my paper shredder. How can an uplifiting song about a heroic event be emo?

5. I have the most unsupportive father ever. He thinks the whole thing is a joke and refuses to hear our stuff unless we play a James Taylor song. I tried to explain that we don't play that kind of music and that we're a mixture of prog/classic/grunge. When he told that he said "people won't pay to hear that. What's the point of making music if you won't make money off of it? Having fun won't get me a mansion in New Hope!" Not to mention, the other night I was playing for my grandparents and my mom and him were watching. I started to rip into the little breakdown in "Teenage Riot" when he got up and proclaimed "do you play anything I know, god you're pathetic!" and stormed off.

So, i'm tired of all of this crap I have to put up with. My current idea is to do a little solo project writting extreme prog music and having a friend that is not involved in the band sing. What do you guys suggest?

I reccomend you leave the band and start something of your own.
Thats not a band you have there.

Thats a bunch of egotistical priks that just want to **** off and dont care about music.

Do the solo project, **** them.

Become successful and stick it to your parents and your "band".
Join a real band
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
Your other guitarist obviously doesn't know anything about the Beatles. In the mid-60s the Beatles were way into psychedelia and were open to experimenting with every conceivable sound (musical or not) possible.

They would have loved a band like Radiohand, that isn't afraid to experiment and they would have love a go at a synth if there had been one at the time.

Suffice to say, he's a retard.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
quit dude u have problems with every bandmember that u cant fix
make a new band
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
i totally recommend that you leave. Or, just kick out the rhythm guitarist or at least tell him that at least you have an open enough mind to not do stuff that was done 40 years ago. The Beatles were great and all, but if he limits his options to what you have stated, he might as well just play in a crappy beatles cover band in some hole-in-the-wall bar at the Jersey shore.

Honestly, I'd throw your father and the other guitarist through the wall. See where that gets you
Start a second "side project" that only involves you and the drummer, and conveniently schedule it so that you're always to busy with your "side project" to do your actual band.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999
Start a second "side project" that only involves you and the drummer, and conveniently schedule it so that you're always to busy with your "side project" to do your actual band.

This.
Overall Fix: Ditch band they're not worth the brain tumor ur gonna get from the stress. Get a program where u can do midi insturments ie. Cubase record ur own style the way you want to like you said get one of your friends who can sing to help. In my experience the less egos the more that gets done.
i think you should go ahead, that sounds like the worst case scenario for band. just throw them to the curb and do your side project.
You're band sounds like a joke, but you sound like you know what you're doing. My advice is to ditch the band. do the solo project, and don't listen to a word your dad says when it comes to music
ok first off, the bassist needs to go. if that means that the drummer has to go also, that's not your problem that's his mothers. if it really is like you say then you should have no trouble finding a drummer who's better anyway.

and obviously the guitarist also needs to go. guitarists grow on trees so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a replacement.

and finally, why care about what your father thinks? most parents think what their kids do are pathetic and pointless unless it's exactly what they did. meatloaf's mum told him that he was a rubbish singer and would never amount to anything musically. go figure.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
**** them! They all sound like real egotistical pricks! The only decent sounding guy is the drummer but if he can't plat he can't play. I suggest you go solo with this singer you know because you'll get much further. And the whole thing with your father is just parents. They believe that if you do something they didn't then it;s wrong. You don;t need this stress!
I would say if the drummer really wants to be in your band he has to tell his mom to back off because its not her band.
a band is not about letting everyone take part. (Managers, body gaurds, groupies and other gay childish things such as these.) Bands are for musicians, no one else.
He has to stand up to his mom and kick her in the balls

Rhythm guitar- Its very possible that u may have to get rid of him because there isnt much you can change. A dick is a dick and will always be a dick and probobly has a small dick and admires John lennons dick but that is besides the point.
If he is ignorant to other styles or bands (especially radiohead cuz there rad) then he just wont do.
No advice for ur dad just leave him be i guess. If he wants to be that way there aint much you can do.
Good luck
Last edited by hamartia at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by therudycometh
Join a real band

LMAO! What this guy said^^^^
Fender HSS Deluxe Special Edition
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Quote by Dunjma
ok first off, the bassist needs to go. if that means that the drummer has to go also, that's not your problem that's his mothers. if it really is like you say then you should have no trouble finding a drummer who's better anyway.

and obviously the guitarist also needs to go. guitarists grow on trees so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a replacement.

and finally, why care about what your father thinks? most parents think what their kids do are pathetic and pointless unless it's exactly what they did. meatloaf's mum told him that he was a rubbish singer and would never amount to anything musically. go figure.

^ this man knows what he is talking about. Oh and tell your dad, you'd gain more applause in your band in one night, then he ever will in his entire life for being a good parent.
TS

Make another band with drummer + singer friend. Bass players will come later.

Tell your father, to get the **** off his dinosaur, and encourage you, he sounds like someone who had a dream, and failed it.

Good luck.
The mother of a band mate decides who gets to stay and leaves?

That is definatly not rock n' roll.
This is fail n' fail.

edit: now that I read everything, everyone in that band is fail and your dad is too and your rythem guy.

If you don't leave I'll come over there and make you leave.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Musefan161

Okie dokie heres my attempt and giving you advice..

1. You and the drummer should definately stay in a band/solo project whatever, get your friend to tell his mum and brother to shove it. You have a valid point for kicking his brother out and his mum sounds like shes just being childish.

2. Just kick him out or leave him to it..

3. Again.. kick him out or leave haha he doesn't sound very musically talented.. and if he can't handle someone being better then him on guitar because he has such a big ego then well.. **** him lol.

4. Same as 3 and 2 pretty much

5. Tell your father that hes being an unsupportive prick.
You have to play music because you love it. Not for the money.

But yeah, I definately suggest doing your final point on the list, you should still try and get the drummer in though. With you and a guy who sings and a drummer you'll have the making of a new band
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That is definatly not rock n' roll.
This is fail n' fail.

bahaha ****ing A brother. you just made my day.
Thanks guys. It's been obvious I had to quit for a while but I wanted to check here first.

Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999
Your other guitarist obviously doesn't know anything about the Beatles. In the mid-60s the Beatles were way into psychedelia and were open to experimenting with every conceivable sound (musical or not) possible.

They would have loved a band like Radiohand, that isn't afraid to experiment and they would have love a go at a synth if there had been one at the time.

Suffice to say, he's a retard.

Exactly, not to mention that itunes had a Paul McCartney (former beatle) celebrity playlist where he put his favorite songs and either number one or number two on the list was "Everything In It's Right Place" by Radiohead. If the Beatles hate Radiohead than why is Paul Mc Cartney's favorite song by them?
1. it's nothing to do with his mum. you have to do what's best for the band. if you can't resolve the situation, you may just have to let the drummer go.

2, 3 and 4. kick him out.

5. it's nothing to do with your father. :P

6. if you do kick the drummer and guitarist out, you've basically got a solo project anyway. so start a solo project in the mean time, which gives you time to find suitable musicians to form a new line-up/start a new band with.
My best advice would be.

First and foremost, kick out the rhythm player. He sounds like a huge douche (from what you say I'm sure he is). Tell him to listen to something besides the Beatles. And also about the synthesizer remark and "would the Beatles use a synth? I don't think so". Well, tell him he's an idiot because the Beatles have used synths (not to mention they've probably experimented with every instrument known to man minus the didgeradoo... but who knows they might have experimented with that at some point). And tell him he's a closed minded hack, then promptly kick him out the band.

Next. I don't know why the drummer's mother feels the need to get involved with what goes on in your band. Go to the drummer and tell him, look, you are my best friend and you know that I'd love to have you in the band, but your brother really isn't cut out to play bass for us, he has no motivation and doesn't really seem to care. Tell him to talk to his mother about laying off, believe me I know how annoying it is when a band member's parent gets involved in the fine tunings of your band, its happened to me.

About your dad... simple, just don't talk to him about the band or music. Just leave him completely in the dark, if he's going to make wisecracks about the music you like to play and is disrespectful, then just ignore him... don't ask him to listen to your music or anything, just completely ignore him (when it comes to your band, don't ignore him all the time).
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
1. it's nothing to do with his mum. you have to do what's best for the band. if you can't resolve the situation, you may just have to let the drummer go.

2, 3 and 4. kick him out.

5. it's nothing to do with your father. :P

6. if you do kick the drummer and guitarist out, you've basically got a solo project anyway. so start a solo project in the mean time, which gives you time to find suitable musicians to form a new line-up/start a new band with.
Wow
The rhythm guitarist is crap. He'll never amount to anything with that mindset. The Beatles would probably do anything as long as it wasn't intense hardcore heavy metal, so his opinion is flawed. He needs to grow up and learn that there are other bands
Tell your drummer to stand up and say to his mom, My brother isn't ready and you don't have a say.
Tell your dad to **** off and understand that you aren't doing this for money, you're doing it because you love it
Get a New bassist and be a trio.
Done
Quote by Highwaytohell
Wow
The rhythm guitarist is crap. He'll never amount to anything with that mindset. The Beatles would probably do anything as long as it wasn't intense hardcore heavy metal, so his opinion is flawed. He needs to grow up and learn that there are other bands
Tell your drummer to stand up and say to his mom, My brother isn't ready and you don't have a say.
Tell your dad to **** off and understand that you aren't doing this for money, you're doing it because you love it
Get a New bassist and be a trio.
Done

because of course it really is that simple..
where the **** do you live? i'm moving there.
Quote by therudycometh
Join a real band

this
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
So I figure I'll throw my two cents in here.

You have three options with the Drummer and Bassist brother situation

A. Have your drummer friend tell his mom that his brother cannot handle playing in a band and should not be allowed in whether she wants him to or not.
B. Work with the bass player to try and see if maybe he just needs some encouragement
C. Kick both out

With the rhythm guitarist it sounds like the only thing you can do is go your separate ways. He obviously doesn't want to work with you, or anyone else for that matter.

I highly recommend talking to your dad. Explain to him that it's about the music, not the money. Maybe he'll see it your way, but most of all he may simply learn to respect you for your decisions instead of negatively commenting.

Trust me man, it sucks to be in a bad situation with a band, especially when good friends/family are involved. Just try to work it out (with everyone but the rhythm guy, he obviously has been extremely rude to you), and hopefully people will see your view as more mature. It's all about how you present it to them.
leave this band, make a new project, problem solved
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
You sound awesome, and have the same musical tastes as me. If I lived in your area I would totally play bass for you.

Listen to the other replys, they are all pretty much right.
Quote by Musefan161

Sack the mother, seriously, if someone's giving you an ultimatum like that, call their bluff, sack the bassist for all the right reasons, then sack the drummer for having an interfering mother. You really cannot have a band member who's parents have the power to decide who you can and cannot have in your band.
Quote by Musefan161

Sack him for not being open to ideas
Quote by Musefan161

Another reason to sack him.
Quote by Musefan161

That's just completely insulting.... sack him.
Quote by Musefan161

Next time your dad's listening to his favourite music, say 'Do you ever listen to anything I know, god you're pathetic!" and storm off.
Anything that he does differently to you, say 'god your pathetic' then storm off. When he confronts you about this behavour, make a deal with him, promise to stop acting like that if he does.'
Quote by Musefan161

Now you're getting it.
Your band ain't going to work while you have a disrespectful rhythm player and the drummer and bassist's mum declaring herself band leader, so go and do something else instead, you'll feel much better.

Oh yeah, and cheer up, it'll get better as you get older and you're not having to live with your parents or put up with other people's parents affecting you.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 30, 2009,
Dude, you run the band so it can be the most effective. If that rhythm guitarist is clashing with your musical tastes and not accepting them, what makes you think he'll suddenly change in the future? Get rid of him. If you're in a band and you guys cannot work coherently as a team and make it work at all, something has to change. You guys will need to have each other's back musically and otherwise.

As for the drummer, try your best to reason with his mother but if it doesn't work out then you'll have no choice for that one as well.
Page 1 of 2