I'm sorry if there's a specific thread for this, or if it's been addressed previously.

Essentially what I'd like to ask UG is: what recording interface would you buy, to record at home, both with mics and direct lining, that costs between €100 and €200, and does a good job. I'm placing quality over cost here.

I was looking at the Line6 Pod Studios, the UX1 or UX2; but I've heard some criticism of the USB 1.1 interfaces, and also of the software they bring; I can work around digital sounding preamps well enough.

Are there good alternatives to the Line6 interfaces, that offer better results at the same price? If Line6 is the best in that price range I'll take what I can get, but if I'm making a mistake let me know please.

Cheers.
Check out the e-mu 0404($199) or 0202($129) and then a shure SM57($99) as a mic.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
The recording interface I use is a Sennheiser e609 connected to a Behringer Eurorack 4 channel mixer, using a 1/4 dual patch cable in the stereo line out, and converted to usb with this.

It only costed me about $200.

My brother and his band also use this recording setup. They play folk metal, haha.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jan 28, 2009,
Do as someone else said, and check out the EMU 0404. Faster, 2.0 connection compared to the Line 6 stuff.
There is poetry in despair.
I should have mentioned, I have a Mic already, a Shure SM58. I'll check those out then, but what appealed to me about the line6 stuff was the software.

The E-mu looks really good though, less ports but has a less commercial look to it, and the software bundle seems very handy. Thanks guys.
Last edited by MiG_853 at Jan 29, 2009,
The UX2 has 2 mic and 2 jack inputs, the E-mu 0404, has 2 hybrid jack/mic inputs.
Go for the Line6 dude, i bought one awhile back and its the best investment iv ever made. The quality of the pre amps and effects are very good, and the range of tones and amp models you can play with is the best thing you can get with your budget. Belive me, when you buy a Line6 you get an interface and an entire catalogue of sounds to experiment with. Its low and and latency is near 0. I dont know what the E-mu offers but iv produced an album already with the UX series and the quality sounds great.

I recorded this using only the effects and amp modelling which came with the Tone Port.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCYd19YbDP0

EDIT: Also if your splashing out money but a decent pre amp to go with your interface, im guessing youv already discovered your 58 is extreamly hungry for amplification, any digital preamp or compressor will just give you noise. Check out the DMP3. Hope that helps, good luck
: )
Last edited by stratacaster at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by MiG_853
The UX2 has 2 mic and 2 jack inputs, the E-mu 0404, has 2 hybrid jack/mic inputs.

But if I'm not mistaken, you can only use 2 of the inputs simultaneously on a UX2 anyway.
There is poetry in despair.
I dont see why youd need any more unless your doing a live recording or are particularly anal about micing up your acoustic.
: )
Quote by fridge_raider
For drums.

Pfff.

As long as your room isn't made out of turd then a pair of (decent) x-y condensers is MORE than adequate.

I hate the new school drum mic'ing techniques.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Yeah, the SM58 is a bit of a pig when it comes to amping; to the guys with the E-mu, what are the guitar effects like? I suppose I could use my GT-8 for effects, or even record my amp mic'ed but I'd also like to be able to direct line with a good degree of flexibility.

Btw cool track stratacaster, you have a myspace?
Last edited by MiG_853 at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by willieturnip
Pfff.

As long as your room isn't made out of turd then a pair of (decent) x-y condensers is MORE than adequate.

I hate the new school drum mic'ing techniques.

not if you want a strong kick, or if you want more mixing options....

The mot important things to look for in an interface are the bit depth and sample rate of the converter, the minimum industry standard nowadays is 24/48, but a lot of cheap interfaces only record at 16/42, also you may want phantom power.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I mic my e-mu 0404 but have recorded bass line in with a di box in front and have gotten a great sound as well. Personally I am not a software amp modeling kind of guy I prefer the tone out of my amp and pedals. I cannot help to much as far as the software that came with it since I am running logic.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
not if you want a strong kick, or if you want more mixing options....

Bull****.

If you want a strong kick, get a strong kick drum.

You only need mixing options if you don't record it right.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Bull****.

I have to disagree you definitely need a kick drum mic for a good kick sound and more than two condensers.
Quote by willieturnip
Bull****.

You can have the best sounding kick drum in the world and it will still sound like ass if not miced properly.

And no, you always want to have different mixing options, being stuck witht he same sound is very much less than ideal.

Last.fm
Thats just not true.

Sorry but your doing it wrong..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Thats just not true.

Sorry but your doing it wrong..

yep, me and damn near every professional recording engineer since the late 70s.

Last.fm
I would actually take an interface over the mixer any day. You can do all the mixing in the software and will have higher quality converters in an interface. Not only that it is usb 1.1 which I would recommend to stay away from or your looking at latency and other issues.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yep, me and damn near every professional recording engineer since the late 70s.

Correct.

Music = fail when it got to the late 70's.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Correct.

Ha then will you enlighten us on your amazing mixing techniques that only you seem to know.
Quote by willieturnip
Correct.

oh, so you're one of those people, Im sorry I thought your opinion was relevant there for a second.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
oh, so you're one of those people, Im sorry I thought your opinion was relevant there for a second.

One of THOSE people? Care to elaborate?

Quote by Led man32
Ha then will you enlighten us on your amazing mixing techniques that only you seem to know.

No mixing technique, and I'm sure as hell not the only one to know it. All down to mic placement and a good room..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
One of THOSE people? Care to elaborate?

No mixing technique, and I'm sure as hell not the only one to know it. All down to mic placement and a good room..

The kind of person who thinks no good music was released after some time in the 70s, that's understandable coming from someone who actually was around in the 70s but you're younger than I am.

the problem with that is that not everyone has access to a good studio, or a well trained engineer.

Last.fm
Hope you're all enjoying the discussion, I can only imagine how important it is to establish whether mic'ing the bass drum is essential or not (which it is, duh). But this thread is about my choice in recording interfaces.

Does the E-mu offer a decent amount of effect and amp modelling software? If so is the software better than the Line6 package, and does the USB connection really affect the quality enough to justify discarding the UXs as an option.
the USB isn't necessarily a problem, the problem with the Line 6 units is that they have crappy low resolution A/D converters. I would goet the E-mu and look for amp modeling stuff elsewhere.

Last.fm
So, can someone enlighten me with why line 6 interfaces suck so much?
I recently had the chance to try one out (albiet not for very long) and thought it worked just fine.

The tone coming out was fine and I was just using presets.
I don't understand why people don't think its a good buy for the money.

Hit me up with all the reasons you all have.

-Ryan
I think most people on UG thing that there's just better options for the money, ala Presonus or M-Audio. I wouldn't know, though, just passing around rumours I heard.
yeah, and thats what every one says. "there's just better options for the money," but then they don't give reasons. (not picking on you by the way since you said that your just passing on the rumors. I would never kill the messenger lol.)

low res. A/D converters is the only thing I have heard. And, I think that a better reasoning might be in order along with some stats and what not.

Just sounds like brand bashing thus far.

-Ryan
Quote by willieturnip
One more thing (off topic..).

http://www.hometracked.com/2007/05/12/recorderman-overhead-drum-mic-technique/

Its called 'Recorderman' or 'Glynn Johns' miking and is used much more often than you lot seem to think..

This is just for setting up the overheads, it doesnt mean you dont need a mic on the kick, in fact the article you just posted has this to say:

"It ensures any close mics on the kick and snare are in phase with the overheads."

the recorderman method is great, nice coherant stereo field, but you still need a kick mic.