So after almost a year of consideration and research I finally defretted my old RBX and I'm really pleased with the end result, all up there were about 2 or 3 minor chips in the wood where it came up from the neck which were surfaced out during sanding anyway. My question is: Do I have to fill in the slots left from the frets or can I leave them be? I read about a million tutorials about defretting and only a hand full of guys who defretted their basses actually left bare slots. I'm not planning on epoxying the neck either as Ive recently found myself particularly pleased with flatwounds, plus with the weather here it would probably take about a month to dry and I would need to apply about 40 coats.

thanks
I would fill them, I think (but I'm not sure) that wood with holes will have more room to expand and contract and whatnot.

Could be wrong though.

Also, I think empty fret slots would get in the way...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Fill with strips of wood, not wood filler or anything like that.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Woodfiller the spaces. Without it you will get buzzing all over the fretboard (well, mine did). And I strongly suggest expoxying the fretboard afterwards. My fretboard was damaging after a week of bare wood (and that was with flats aswell).
If you've got a radius block you could fill the fret slots with epoxy and sand it back to your radius. I believe the tutorial on the Unfretted website did it that way but I might be wrong.
I've done it once with this method but that project stalled because of some craziness going on. It worked, though. The board came out very smooth.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...