Yeah, I posted the very same topic in the Electric Guitar forum, but this was porbably the better place to post it.

I'm aiming for a Paul Gilbert-ish tone, but my exploits haven't ended very well. I have a Krank Rev. Jr. amplifier and a Gibson Les Paul Studio with a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and an Evolution in the bridge. I recently bought a ProTone Jason Becker Distortion pedal, not being satisfied by the often thin sound on the Krank. So far, all I have been able to get is a very muddy sound that is abut as cutting as a blunt rock. I tried running the pedal through the clean channel on the amp and just using the distortion on the pedal (along with the overdrive effect on the pedal) and it still kind of sucks. I can't even achieve anything close to a Jason Becker tone with the pedal, let alone what I actually want. Any help would be appreciated.
moar midz?

Look into buying a danelectro fish n chips eq pedal - best 30 bucks you've ever spent
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
if it's thin then beef up the bas a little and crank the mids as daddybarbs said.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
lower your treble raise the bass and mids, maybe that'll work. or you could try what i do to get a wider range, kill you gain (lower it to 2 or 3) run a pedal through the amp raise its level up and then you can affect your sound through both the amp and the pedal effectivly giving you a wider range. maybe you'll get you tone that way. or like they said try an EQ pedal, i don't have one but it might help you
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by tom708
laney amps and dimarzios

A bit low on money... and I have DiMarzios.
My big problem is that right now, my tone is muddy and has little to no sustain at all. Staccato runs sound absolutely terrible (no, it's not my playing) as do legato runs.
most likely its your amp then- your pickups should be the opposite of muddy. DiMarzios are known for their clarity and articulation

maybe your pickups are raised too much or are too low?... I've never tried that amp or seen it so i don't know what to expect from it but maybe you have a crappy amp?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Play with the sweep knob on the Krank. A lot of the time if you can't get a good tone out of one it's because of that. They can be a bit of a bugger to EQ, but very rewarding once you do so.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by BeethovensBust
A bit low on money... and I have DiMarzios.
My big problem is that right now, my tone is muddy and has little to no sustain at all. Staccato runs sound absolutely terrible (no, it's not my playing) as do legato runs.

a les paul and little sustain?

You are definatly doing it wrong.

Lower the pups, crakn your mids, lower treble, increase bass, lower the volume on the pedal (same thing was giving me trouble with my pedals so i lowered the volume and it made a world of difference
Yes, I probably am doing it wrong.
I absolutely hate the sweep knob on the Krank, but there is nothing I can do about it. I don't really get the point of it, anyhow. The pedal has some EQ knobs, but I haven't really bothered toying with them. Should I?
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
Play with the sweep knob on the Krank. A lot of the time if you can't get a good tone out of one it's because of that. They can be a bit of a bugger to EQ, but very rewarding once you do so.

Have you had any experience with Kranks? Because the sweep has always given me trouble. In all honesty, I don't think that I have ever really gotten a great tone out of it, and it's is most likely due to the sweep knob.
Been playing with the sweep knob on the Krank... one thing I've noticed is that the rest of the EQ is very dependent on whatever the sweep is set on. Is there any good setting for the sweep that anyone has used?
you say your tone sucks... is it because you can't get a paul gilbert tone? there are countless other tones that aren't paul gilbert tones that don't suck.
i think you should create your own tone, cuz unless you're pg himself, you're not gonna sound like him... especially since he uses ibanez/laney and you're using LP/krank

don't mean to sound like a d1ck
Whoa whoa whoa, you have very decent gear, and compared to my own it seems 10 times better, and your tone STILL sucks? I use my Epi Les Paul Standard with a Boss DS-1 and a piece of crap Orange Crush 15 watt practice amp, and my tone is f***in brilliant. Amps tend to not do so well when they are cranked up for volume and then the pedal distorting that. It makes everything very muddy, my suggestion to you is simple, and someone else said something similar to it, drop the volume on your amp and crank the Volume/level (NOT THE GAIN!!!) on your pedal all the way up.[Also, since you mentioned your pedal has eq settings, definitely mess with them, messin with them will make a world of difference, eq does a lot for musicians these days] This brings out the natural eq of my Boss pedal and fully utilizes my guitars tone and crisp punch-crunch (the type of sound I usually have). This eliminates the muddiness and sustain problems on my set up VERY well, and makes me sound gig worthy. However, this may not work as well as on it does on my set up as it might on yours. At that point it may be something entirely different e.g. Dud pick ups, faulty cables, a shi* pedal. Look, I know a lot of you guys think Boss has cheap suck pedals, but when you learn to use them right, they are GOLD!

In any case let me know if that improves/worsens things, I'm always good with technical stuff and getting what might seem like garbage to sound heavenly. ROCK ON!!!
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by BeethovensBust
Been playing with the sweep knob on the Krank... one thing I've noticed is that the rest of the EQ is very dependent on whatever the sweep is set on. Is there any good setting for the sweep that anyone has used?

I've mostly played Kranks in stores, but with the Rev Jr I found I loved the tone with treble and mids cranked, bass at 2 o clock and sweep at 12 o clock.

Of course, I play a totally different style to you (experimental noise rock) so I don't know how you'll like that.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
turn it up? crank those tubes, get 'r singin :P
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Ok, something really weird happened.
Last night, I found a tone that I somewhat liked... today, I turn on my amp and it's a completely different tone. Everything was the same setting as it was last night. I can't think of any reasonable explanation aside from ghosts as to why it happened.
Are you sure you don't just hate the Krank? Most people either love it to pieces or hate it with the burning fire of a thousand suns.
Quote by imicius
Are you sure you don't just hate the Krank? Most people either love it to pieces or hate it with the burning fire of a thousand suns.

I'm sure that could be possible. The tone I always got, just with the Krank, seemed much to flabby and thin. I had a Metal Muff that I had to use just to get a reasonable sound out of it.
turn the gain on the clean channel down to about 2 or 3 (9 or 10 O'clock)
Quote by BeethovensBust
I'm sure that could be possible. The tone I always got, just with the Krank, seemed much to flabby and thin. I had a Metal Muff that I had to use just to get a reasonable sound out of it.

Then if you can't get a better setting from the other suggestions in this thread, perhaps you should sell the Krank and get a new amp?
I've thought about selling the Krank, but I have absolutely no idea of what else to get. I've seen Mesa Rectoverb combos going for around $700, and they seem to be of very high quality.
Kranks don't hold their value very well because of the same reason you don't like yours; unless you spend ages playing with it at every setting possible, or you get lucky, it's hard to get a good tone out of them.
Quote by Cathbard