so i just broke my ipod. i tried everything and it won't work. the little sad face shows up and it tells me to go to apple.com/support, my computer won't recognize it and i couldn't get it into disk mode. I called and it said that i need to send it in to get repaired.

i have a 5th generation ipod (video with 30 gigs) do you think it would be worth it to spend $130 and get it fixed or go out and buy a new one with 120 gigs for $250 or get a refurbished 160 gig for the same price?

i am running out of room on the ipod i have now so i know that sooner or later i will need to get a new one with more room anyway. but do you think i should go ahead and spend more money and get it now, or get my old one fixed and spend a little less??

thanks
Buy a new one, they keep getting bigger anyway...

But define the "everything" you've tried...there might be something else you can do...

-TFA
Send it to Apple. They will prolly fix it or send you a new one dispite the fact that the warranty is up, cuz there cool like that.
next time pay the 50-80 bucks for the extended warranty. I did over the course of 3 years ive gotten mine fixed 4 or 5 times. They also lost my original ipod (30 gig) and had to replace it with one of the same value, so i got a 80 gig one
Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
Buy a new one, they keep getting bigger anyway...

But define the "everything" you've tried...there might be something else you can do...

-TFA

i tried to turn it on and the screen showes up with a little sad face and it says www.apple.com/support/itunes. i plugged it in and nothing happened, i tried to restart it, and i tried to put it in disk mode. i just kept on showing the sad face. i did drop it so that's what started the whole ordeal. the website says that it's a hardware problem.
Quote by Captain Insano
Send it to Apple. They will prolly fix it or send you a new one dispite the fact that the warranty is up, cuz there cool like that.

i would still have to pay $120 to get it repaired or get a refurbished one though
Quote by Captain Insano

No, they really aren't. apple sucks balls
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
uninstall everything associated with your ipod on your PC(Besides music) and then re-install iTunes, and plug in your iPod. It fixed mine, but not sure about yours.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
i had the same thing happen to mine, it was even more irreparable after smashing into the wall.....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Quote by MAMADERA2000
Don´t fix it...
Don´t buy a new one..
Buy a zune...

But Zunes suck dick...
Buy a new one for sure
When iPods start screwing up, the battery usually suffers even if you fix it
And besides, you said you were running out of room
And they're pretty cheap now
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
you'll need to buy a new hard drive, find a guide on how to replace it, and do that :around $50 for the hard drive on ebay.
i did that for my mini and it worked until i dropped it and it broke again lol. so i got an ipod touch 32g for christmas! but if you have a TON of music, go for new classic
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by Captain Insano

I don't know if we're talking about the same apple here, but from all my experience with iPods, Apple people are bitches about warrenties.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Captain Insano

no, they really aren't. they over charge for something simple like a battery change and that takes 6-8 weeks. my good friend's ipod broke, apple couldn't fix it, so they sent his broken one back to him, apologizing because they couldn't fix it.
returning to the question, i would get a new one with a bigger capacity if you're going to spend the money anyway.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
send it to me I'll fix it...

I promise I'll send it back.
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
that sucks if you bought it from Circuit City, i just bought a 120g from there in early Dec. and bought the best protection plan. no im screwed.
i would buy a new one but there should be a warranty on yours from Apple, they even replace batteries.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
The same thing just happened to me! I have the exact same iPod, and the exact same problem. I just bought a used one of the same model/gen for 106 US. Did I screw up? (It hasn't come in yet)

my ipod got f*cked over today when my friend placed a live wire on it accidentally during electronics class. now the sound out of the output jack sounds terrible, like poor quality with lots of noise. everything else works fine though. i wonder what i should do.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS