I currently own an Epi LP studio that I picked up used. I really like it, but I want a new one. I tried out some of the LP's at the guitar shop and was wondering which model would be a true upgrade from the studio? Also, which model is the best for blues, hard rock and 80's metal. I don't know much about the different pickups and such.

I like the way the LP's fit my big hands, but the guy at the guitar shop said the PRS guitars would be a better guitar. I like the PRS SE's, but are they as good as, say the epi gold top?

Please don't post try em and see which one sounds the best. I already did that, I just want some other opinions and advice before I make my next move.

-Thanks.
IMO, the PRS SEs are a big step-up compared to some epi LPs.. i wanted an epi LP standard before, i think they're made in china now.. so for it's price, i got quite shocked that it seemed like i was only paying for the name epiphone.. and thinking that it was just a sub company of gibson! well, the PRS SEs are made in korea.. as far as i know, korean made guitars are also great guitars for the money and in terms of build quality and craftsmanship, they're great..

i own a PRS SE Standard.. my option was on getting an SE Custom.. but when i tried the SE custom, it had dings on every side.. maybe it was due to the wtore and the mishandling of people who tried it.. poor guitar.. so i didn't buy it.. then i tried the SE Standard.. it was a 2007 model, it felt great! action was set low.. neck is smooth and fast.. absolutely no fret buzz or dead frets.. it was a great guitar.. and i own it now.. pickups are very decent by the way.. and the pots are great..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by yellojeeper
... which model would be a true upgrade from the studio? Also, which model is the best for blues, hard rock and 80's metal. I don't know much about the different pickups and such.

I like the way the LP's fit my big hands, but the guy at the guitar shop said the PRS guitars would be a better guitar. I like the PRS SE's, but are they as good as, say the epi gold top?...
I prefer the MIJ Epi Custom to any of the models offered in the US, including the discontinued Elitist. The Japan-only models come with Gibson PUs (Burstbuckers or '57s) and the quality is consistently high, typical of MIJ obsession with quality. Here's my favorite:

The PRS SE model is very nice but I think the quality is similar to the typical MIK and MIC Epis, an opinion.

Quote by Ippon
I prefer the MIJ Epi Custom to any of the models offered in the US, including the discontinued Elitist. The Japan-only models come with Gibson PUs (Burstbuckers or '57s) and the quality is consistently high, typical of MIJ obsession with quality. Here's my favorite:

The PRS SE model is very nice but I think the quality is similar to the typical MIK and MIC Epis, an opinion.

MIJ Epiphones have gibson shaped headstocks?
MIJ Epiphones have gibson shaped headstocks?

Yes, but only ones intended for the Japanese market have the open book headstock. The Elitist though for example was MIJ, but the ones made for export had a different headstock.
an Epi LP Custom would be the only upgrade from there really, the standard is basically the same as the standard. MIJ copies are also great guitars if you can find one for a good price.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I don't think there's a huge difference in quality. but from what I've read suggests maybe a little more attention to detail and setup on the PRS SE.
Whoof arted?