is there a way to break up a spanish gypsy scale into boxes like with the minor pentatonic
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
well its the one in the key of c
i dont know much about music
the notes in the key of c are A# C C# E F G G#
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
That's the fourth mode of F harmonic minor, Bb Dorian #4. The notes should be written as Bb C Db E F G Ab. Please read the theory link in my sig so you have know the basics of music theory, and then we'll work from there.
C Db E F G Ab Bb

Those are the eHarmonic, you skipped B, and used 2c's and G's.
So that's. Phyrgian Dominant, a mode of Harmonic minor.

So look for F Harmonic minor and you should be able to find shapes for it.
cant someone please just help me out
i'll learn theory some other time
Quote by the_sg_blues_07
i'll learn theory some other time

Please teach me quantum chemistry now. I'll learn what atoms are some other time.

It doesn't work that way. You don't even know what the scale you're asking about is. How do you expect to make use of it? Read the links in her sig.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It doesn't work that way.
It can if you're good!

Student: What's differential topology?
Teacher: It's combining differentiation with topology.
Student: What are those.
Teacher: Differentiation is the mathematical process of finding an equation that defines the slope of a line or plane tangent to the graph of the equation. Topology is the math that explains why a coffee mug and ring are the same and a baseball and a plate are the same, but the two groups are different. Now you understand differential topology.

See?

Anyway, you, TS, can work with modes the same way you can work with differential topology.

For the record, I have no idea what differential topology involves; the most I've ever studied it is reading (skimming) the article on wikipedia.
holy baby jezuz banggoodcharllote, ur theory thing is fkin HUGE! IM NOT KIDDIN! , no ones going to read that.... and i thought xxdarrenxx's one was huge....
Btw, what are spanish gypsy scales, ive never heard of them, im guessing its used alot in spanish gypsy music? the scale formula and the notes in them is another story, but what is the scale exaclty>
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
holy baby jezuz banggoodcharllote, ur theory thing is fkin HUGE! IM NOT KIDDIN! , no ones going to read that.... and i thought xxdarrenxx's one was huge....

O wait, its actually not all that big lol, thats a really good theory thing tho, it has pretty much all you need to know about basic music theory... i guess im just not too used to reading o_o
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Btw, what are spanish gypsy scales, ive never heard of them, im guessing its used alot in spanish gypsy music? the scale formula and the notes in them is another story, but what is the scale exaclty>

It's another common name for Phrygian Dominant.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Please teach me quantum chemistry now. I'll learn what atoms are some other time.

It doesn't work that way. You don't even know what the scale you're asking about is. How do you expect to make use of it? Read the links in her sig.

There are enough people who sound brilliant with scales that they just know the shapes of, you don't need to force theory on to him if he doesn't want to learn it.
I
Well you can't split them up in boxes like the Penta, but what you can do is splitting them up diagonally.
Let's say in A:
e-string: G- A- A#
a-string: C - D - E - F
d-string: G - A - A#
Similar to the octatonic (if you know that one )

If I find the time I'll write a lesson about using the spanish gypsy, especially in the Jazz Manouche.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Last edited by cortez0 at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
There are enough people who sound brilliant with scales that they just know the shapes of, you don't need to force theory on to him if he doesn't want to learn it.
I

If you think like that then you can answer TS's question.

Take Archeo's example, there might be a way to teach someone quantum chemistry (I didn't even know that existed, btw) without ever mentioning the concept of an atom, but it's unreasonable for a teacher to come up with this explanation when the student could just learn what an atom is.

Quote by dmirtygorachyov
O wait, its actually not all that big lol, thats a really good theory thing tho, it has pretty much all you need to know about basic music theory... i guess im just not too used to reading o_o

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure double posting (and therefore triple posting) is against the rules, so use the edit button.
Since you know the minor pentatonic shapes, you can use these to construct the Spanish gypsy shapes. You need to know only that 1. the Spanish gypsy scale is the Phrygian scale with a sharpened 3rd, and that 2. the Phrygian is an extension (one possible extension that is) of the minor pentatonic.

I'll go through position one for you. Your minor pentatonic shape is here:

e|---|-0-|---|---|-0-|---|
B|---|-0-|---|---|-0-|---|
G|---|-0-|---|-0-|---|---|
D|---|-0-|---|-0-|---|---|
A|---|-0-|---|-0-|---|---|
E|---|-0-|---|---|-0-|---|

You add the 2nd and 6th degrees to get the Phrygian shape (alternative 2nds and 6ths will give you the Dorian and Aeolian shapes):

e|---|-0-|-0-|---|-0-|---|
B|---|-0-|-0-|---|-0-|---|
G|---|-0-|---|-0-|---|---|
D|---|-0-|---|-0-|-0-|---|
A|---|-0-|---|-0-|-0-|---|
E|---|-0-|-0-|---|-0-|---|

Now sharpen the 3rd to get the Spanish gypsy:

e|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|-0-|
G|---|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|
A|---|-0-|---|-0-|-0-|---|
E|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|-0-|

alternatively:

e|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|-0-|
G|---|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|
A|-0-|-0-|---|-0-|-0-|---|
E|---|-0-|-0-|---|---|---|

Try this for the other shapes and use a bit of trial and error if you have to; it's all good ear training.