I have a 1968 Gibson SG Melody Maker, and I'm getting tired of the pickups I have. They're noisy and not quite the tone I'm looking for. The set-up is 2 single coils with 2 volume and tone each and a 3-way switch. I'm buying new pickups, so do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking a Custom Shop '54 in the neck and a Texas Special in the bridge...would this sound any good?

As always, THANKS
It's an original 68 or a reissue? If it's an original leave the thing alone for the love of god.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Yes, it is an original, but I got it as sort of a project. I had to strip all of the paint and re-finish with oil, re-wire it, and I threw on a Bigsby(1. I like them. 2. To cover the existing holes from the previous owner who took out the Gibson vibrato, which I couldn't find an original of...). So, I figure I'll keep the original pickups and electronics(thanks for the suggestion), and turn the guitar (which has great tone and an AWESOME neck) into a player's guitar for me, as it has little chance of becoming a "collector's item".
Fair enough. Pics of the guitar? It sounds awesome.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
The guitar is worth 2.25k, If you don't like the humming, get some stacked humbuckers.
Keep the original pickups if you ever want to resell this.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
I tried to attach a pic, but it said it could only be 50KB, I'll try to make it smaller...
Here we go. It is now a fairly small pic, so there isn't too much to get out of it. She is a very pretty guitar in person, though, and great to play. Thanks for the suggestions, I certainly will hang on to the original electronics. As for being worth $2,250, mine's probably worth around $1000 as of right now, since it is not all original. But, hey, my total cost was around $500 (got it as a steal (with serial #))!
Last edited by travistag at Feb 1, 2009,
Sorry, we got kind of distracted by the guitar. Any suggestions on single coils?
I like the active EMG S and SA, they are so quiet and sound very smooth. Gilmore uses them. They come with all electronics too. Just a thought.
Hmmm... never considered EMGs, but if Gilmore uses them...I just might. I might not even have to rout for them, there's so much room under the PG...
Quote by travistag
Hmmm... never considered EMGs, but if Gilmore uses them...I just might. I might not even have to rout for them, there's so much room under the PG...

Gilmore used them for convinience. He had some problems with buzzing on stage and feed back due to the amount of equipment with signals. Once he solved that problem he went back to his regular pickups, I do not think he still uses them
Oh ok. Yeah, I didn't think he could get that sound out of actives. Thanks for all the info everyone.