Heres my situation.

As of, I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp, a Peavey Envoy 110 45 watt amp, and one of the 99 dollar deans. I get a pretty decent tone with the dean, but it feels so poorly made and put together that I'm not sure if I should upgrade. At this point, I'd much rather get a good amp (if I take my peavey back, I'll have about 477.50 USD) then a 350 dollar guitar that won't last more then a year. I was considering having my dean professionally setup, throwing an EMG active in the bridge and going with an amp, or should I just get a new guitar? I've tried a jackson JS series kelly and I hate it. Please, something with a good metal tone.

My main amp is basically the vypyr, the envoy is dying on me and I dont know how much longer it's going to last.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Quote by ReinventingEvil
At this point, I'd much rather get a good amp (if I take my peavey back, I'll have about 477.50 USD) then a 350 dollar guitar that won't last more then a year.

What the heck are you doing to a guitar to wear it out in a year?

Personally, I can't see spending money upgrading a sub $100 guitar. "Good money after bad," and all that.

(Also, you're unclear as to which Peavey you're talking about taking back...)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 28, 2009,
well, first off how is a guitar not lasting more than a year for you, secondly, do you gig, if so get a new amp, since you'll make money for a new guitar if you gig, or you could do the reverse get a new guitar. if you just play in your room, with friends get a new guitar since the cheap 99 dollar deans won't suffice fro much, nice tone, but they dont last long, get a VMNT, ML, or a Razorback
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
if you want a good metal tone try a dean ml Dime model ,here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dime-o-Flage-Snow-Camo-Electric-Guitar-103933255-i1147922.gc its a great dean you should pick up,the pick ups are decent if you want to throw in different ones go with seymore duncan,MUCH better than EMG's
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
If you're talking about returning the vypyr, don't. It's a great amp.

I'd look into maybe a schecter of some sort. At $350 you can get something good that will last a while.

EDIT:
Quote by saitenslayer
if you want a good metal tone try a dean ml Dime model ,here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dime-o-Flage-Snow-Camo-Electric-Guitar-103933255-i1147922.gc its a great dean you should pick up,the pick ups are decent if you want to throw in different ones go with seymore duncan,MUCH better than EMG's

In my experience, any Dean with Dime's name on it is a sub-par guitar with his name thrown on to justify the price.

Also, EMGs vs. Seymour Duncans is all preference.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jan 28, 2009,
Esp
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by F8iscruel
well, first off how is a guitar not lasting more than a year for you, secondly, do you gig, if so get a new amp, since you'll make money for a new guitar if you gig, or you could do the reverse get a new guitar. if you just play in your room, with friends get a new guitar since the cheap 99 dollar deans won't suffice fro much, nice tone, but they dont last long, get a VMNT, ML, or a Razorback

That's good advice except the Razorback piece.

If you're gigging, get an amp. If you're not and won't be in the near future, get a guitar.

As a general rule, though - a crappy guitar through a good amp sounds decent, but a great guitar through a crappy amp sounds like a crappy amp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think by wearing a guitar out in a year he means the trem as any trem guitar in that range would have an LFR.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you're talking about returning the vypyr, don't. It's a great amp.

Great? No. There are better amps out there. especially if the TS uses his whole budget on an amp
I'm a multiple Dean owner- I wouldn't touch the Dime models. You're paying for that endorsement and can do better if you look around, even within the brand.

If you like Deans in particular, go for something like an EVO, Vendetta or Zones- you'll find you're getting a better guitar for the money. There is a Cadillac in that price range, but only the entry level one.

There are countless other metal guitars in that price range as well from Ibanez, ESP and so forth.

If you aren't afraid of try something differen, check out the Malden Stiger (http://www.maldenguitars.com/stiger.htm), the entry level version of the Subhuman, reviewed here: http://www.tripatlas.com/videoplay/Udz-fuUDnj4
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by strat0blaster
That's good advice except the Razorback piece.

oh, i was just putting that in there since its my main six string multiple tunings guitar, it's delicate though, but i'm only reccomending it becuase it doesn't sound have bad imo. but i'm probably going to stop preaching deans in a few months, i think i'm going to jump ship over to Zelensky's new company, get the new Bird of Pray model (think of how ESP takes LPs and explorers to the extreme, but only with the ML and Stealth)
but until i try one out i'm still going to say deans will get you the best metal tone for a good 450 and under price.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I don't gig, no. I'm taking back the vypyr only if I choose to get a new amp, otherwise I'm keeping it as my main amp.

And I meant the guitar won't last long, because by next year I'm sure I'll have made the jump for 300-400 dollar guitar to 600-800 and I don't want to keep shelling out for a guitar upgrade when I can have an amp last years.

I'm looking at a few ESPs that, if bought, will be ran through both of the peaveys. Can anybody tell me what kinda tone I should expect..?

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_EX50%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_-1_10052_10002_183592_cmCategorySA182978

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MH100QM%20Electric%20Guitar%20See%20Thru%20Black%20Cherry_-1_10052_10002_-49977483_cmCategorySA182593

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_LTD%20M100%20Electric%20Guitar%20See%20Thru%20Black%20Flame_-1_10052_10002_-49983000_cmCategorySA182593
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I don't gig, no. I'm taking back the vypyr only if I choose to get a new amp, otherwise I'm keeping it as my main amp.

And I meant the guitar won't last long, because by next year I'm sure I'll have made the jump for 300-400 dollar guitar to 600-800 and I don't want to keep shelling out for a guitar upgrade when I can have an amp last years.

do you mean that you'll have gotten enough skill to get a new guitar, if so don't think that way, a 300-400 dollar guitar will be as good as a 600-800 dollar guitar, the only difference will probably be neck/bridge construction (i.e. neck thru, bolt on, FR setup ) and the pickups it has, which preference wise probably be changed by you. trust me within 1000 dollars the guitars are usually the same except for the neck, bridge, and pickups. and the wood. example the synyster gates custom is 300 dollars more than the regular syn guitar because of the pickups and maybe the the FR (one might be an original the other liscenced)
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
do you mean that you'll have gotten enough skill to get a new guitar, if so don't think that way, a 300-400 dollar guitar will be as good as a 600-800 dollar guitar, the only difference will probably be neck/bridge construction (i.e. neck thru, bolt on, FR setup ) and the pickups it has, which preference wise probably be changed by you. trust me within 1000 dollars the guitars are usually the same except for the neck, bridge, and pickups. and the wood. example the synyster gates custom is 300 dollars more than the regular syn guitar because of the pickups and maybe the the FR (one might be an original the other liscenced)

Listen to this man. He knows his sh*t. Always.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Listen to this man. He knows his sh*t. Always.

just wish i'd listen to my own advice... but i've learned from my mistakes.

also don't be afraid to go used, as long as you play it in person before you buy it, thats how i got my seven string
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I don't trust buying used, too many things that could be wrong that I probably wouldn't notice aside from like, action and a warped neck. I'm really big on ESPs though and those links I provided, I'm looking at. And yes, I do plan on improving greatly this year, as well as wanting a quality made instrument. I'll probably cave for an ESP, provided I find a good one under 379.99 USD.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I don't trust buying used, too many things that could be wrong that I probably wouldn't notice aside from like, action and a warped neck. I'm really big on ESPs though and those links I provided, I'm looking at. And yes, I do plan on improving greatly this year, as well as wanting a quality made instrument. I'll probably cave for an ESP, provided I find a good one under 379.99 USD.

Sounds good but when buying used you should always ALWAYS check for these basic problems before you even think about buying it.

EDIT: Nice Arch Enemy lyrics in your sig btw
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by ReinventingEvil

well if you buy used, buy from a big store retailer in person because they usually wont take a guitar that won't play and if it has a major flaw it will usually showup within the return policy limits. i can't say much for ESPs so you'll have to get that from someone else. my newest guitar was used 300 and the only problem i have is that its missing a bar for my FR. also is there a particular shape your after? i could probably help you a bit more if you want a specific shape.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Shape, no. Just something that I can play some kickass metal on. Absolutely hate lowerend jacksons though, so don't rec those. I despise BC rich, poorly made. Not a fan of deans either, the bodies are too goofy. Open to anything else, though. Always wanted a washburn..
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
Shape, no. Just something that I can play some kickass metal on. Absolutely hate lowerend jacksons though, so don't rec those. I despise BC rich, poorly made. Not a fan of deans either, the bodies are too goofy. Open to anything else, though. Always wanted a washburn..

well first off, don't jump on the B.C. Rich hating band wagon, they have well made guitars they just made some terrible lines (and some of their shapes aren't that great). also Deans are pretty nice but i use them with a classical influenced sitting so my opinion is based off of that. never played a washburn, i know the guitarist from Disturbed plays washburns if you want to look into the tone they can get. try schecter guitars they might have what your looking for as well.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
i hear bad things about the 300 dollar shecters, plus they just feel cheap. ive played a few of em. i just dont like bc rich in general, had a few warocks in my day and just wasnt a fan.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
i hear bad things about the 300 dollar shecters, plus they just feel cheap. ive played a few of em. i just dont like bc rich in general, had a few warocks in my day and just wasnt a fan.

Most Schecters are pretty low in price, and the 300 buck ones are much better than what you're playing on now, IMO.

I'd definately say go used - as long as you know what to look for in a reliable guitar and how to spot a lemon, you should be fine. You can get better gear that way for less - I bought an Ibanez S2120XAV used for $500. They retailed for $1,600 new. Got a Peavey XXX amp for 450 too.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Got a Peavey XXX amp for 450 too.

i ... hate ... you. just kidding nice find, how did you find it, and TS most schecters don't go past 1K so this isn't offical or anything but a 300 dollar schecter is the equivalent of a 1000 dollar dean of jackson
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
i ... hate ... you. just kidding nice find, how did you find it, and TS most schecters don't go past 1K so this isn't offical or anything but a 300 dollar schecter is the equivalent of a 1000 dollar dean of jackson

Got a hookup at my local shop. It's the same way I got my Ibanez S2120XAV for 500 bucks.

I was pretty lucky indeed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you