Page 1 of 2
From what I can tell after a year's experience of playing, and from reading stuff on here, no one seems to use .9's. I honestly haven't found anyone else that uses them. I have .10's on my SG which are great, but my strat's set up gets really screwed up when I put .10's on so I've stuck with .9's. Does anyone else use them/why do the majority of people shy away?
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
I exclusively use D'addario .10s now.
However, I used to use .9s and thought they were great for shredding except when I'd do big bends they'd twang and come loose and detuned.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I've tried .9's them on my sg. i can't really explain why i didn't like it other then the ringing sound (which is probably cause this guitar has never been set up.)
and I'm used to .12's on my LP.
I use 9's on my sg...
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
I use a special set of strings for my guitar tuned to NST (C-G-D-A-E-G): .09 for the G to .52 for the C.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
idk .09s are too flimsy for me.
since I play mostly metal I like having thick bottom strings and like .10s for the high e.
Jeez, I use like .12's and .11's. I can't stand the flimsiness of .9's. I wouldn't go any lower than .11's.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
They suck for teh br00talz. Duh.

Once, I had 9s and put my guitar in B standard. Yeah, I felt like I was playing with ****ing pieces of yarn.
They sound soo thin. Plus my fingers overpower them! Then again, angus young still uses them and gets a pretty big sound, so go figure. I find a much smoother tone with higher gauges.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I use .9's on all my 25.5 scale guitars. Except the top string, I replace those with a .11 because otherwise it snaps in a week or so.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i use 8's on my squier strat
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
this is bugging me. they're .09's. not .9's .9 would indicate .90, which is just... well you get the idea.

Anyway, i use 9's, tried 8's, 10's 11's and 12's. 9's where it is at for me. I play in standard almost exclusively though.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
yeah i love teh feel of 9's on my RG.
i kinda HAD to go 8's on my strat because the intonation was ****. all the strings were too sharp even with the saddles up to their limit. so i had to go 8's. even then they barely made it to perfect intonation. they're not bad. great for slow rhythm playing IMO
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
how low are you gonna go?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
usually people use higher string gauges just to get that fatter tone, to me .09's are just to bright and .10's produce the sound i enjoy, but on the E string i replace the .46 or .49 for a .52 just so that the e sounds fatter, but its just personal preference and what your guitar can actually take.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by hopespaul
what size is optimal for down-tuning with a FR

any size is good if your going to down tune....i have a guitar with a FR and i drop it to a dropped B using gauges .58, .38, .28, .17, .15, .10.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Heaps of people use 9s. They come on a lot of guitars and are good for beginners and the shredding crowd.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
i've done dropped Dflat on 9 with my RG. i got a little fret buzz and i didn't get full pull up range on the Edge Pro. so for stuff like dropped C some 10's should work, me thinks
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I use 10-48's and either a 65 or 70 for the Low B string on my 7's.
Lots of people still use 9's though, you'd be surprised. Rusty Cooley uses GHS 9-58's on his 7's in Eb Standard with a low Bb.
I play shorter scaled guitars, I need the heavier strings. My 7 string I have .10s on, I just like to not have sloppy feeling strings.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I play .10s but my Kelly came set up with .09s. I liked them but i found that the high e had no sustain above the 12th fret. So i changed to .10's which is what i had on my crappy squier.
I used to use 10's for a while and recently switched to 9's and I didn't notice my tone being that thin at all. I guess it depends on the guitar and no I'm not tone deaf.

Anyways the reason why people on UG don't use 9's much cause it seems like so many here down tune and doing that with 9's isn't practical. I use them with 1/2 step down and standard tuning. I like them better actually
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Plenty of people use 9's. Shredders galore. Even Tony Iommi, King of Downtuned SGs used light gauge strings. Can't remember if they were 9's but something like that.

I'm not one though. I find the sound weedy, I like a heftier tone. I typically play a 24.75 inch scale, where 9's feel like rubber bands.

Quote by hopespaul
what size is optimal for down-tuning with a FR

If you want to maintain roughly the same string tension, you'll want to go up a gauge for every whole step you detune. So, if you tune down to D Standard, go up a gauge. For C Standard, go up two gauges. What you do on half-steps depends on your preference. If I were tuning down one and a half steps, I'd go up two gauges. I don't like flimsy feeling strings and bigger strings help add to that downtuned sound. For Eb, I'd probably stick with my standard.

I should point out that I've never used a downtuned FR, so this may not work. I have no idea.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jan 29, 2009,
Even Kerry King of Slayer played 0.09's.

If he isn't Brootal then instant fail.

I use ernie ball hybrid slinkies which are pure joy

e, B, G strings are from an 0.09 set, and the D, A, E strings are from a 0.10 set.

On a strat You almost have to have 0.11 or higher, because you else wont' get the fullest tone out of it, where a Humbucker guitar already has twice the output.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
.09s are still the most popular (in terms of sales) gauge of Ernie Ball strings (and EB outsell every other brand), so go figure.

Just because this site is populated mostly by drop-tuning shredders doesn't mean jack compared to the global guitar playing community.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
.9's are good for trem'd guitars but If you have a fixed bridge you'll probly never use them on acounts their not as good in drop tuning.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
9's don't sound like **** if you've got a decent amp and know how to EQ it properly. I'm pretty sure Petrucci uses 9's when he plays in standard tuning, and the man's got amazing tone.

I use 10's.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Quote by the_wayward_one
9's don't sound like **** if you've got a decent amp and know how to EQ it properly. I'm pretty sure Petrucci uses 9's when he plays in standard tuning, and the man's got amazing tone.

Petrucci uses 12's in this video, for downtuning, and says he prefers them to 9's for that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dONN8bt3AE
Different tools for different tasks.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
.9 and strats, teles go well together.

.10 and above are for SGs and LPs

.9 is used for standard tuning usually

.10 and above is used for low tunings, drop d, half step down

Slash uses LPs most of the time so most of his songs are usually tuned half step down.
i feel like i'm playing an air guitar when using 9s. There's nothing wrong with them if you have a good guitar, but i prefer a bit of substance.

apprently slash uses them which is crazy since he downtunes aswell... i don't knwo whether that's true or not.

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
Hahaha you kids!
Once upon a time I used .007's on my pre-CBS Strat., Can't get them now. I used .008 on Gibsons but even they are hard to find. Now I use .009's on my Yammy but it would be a bitch to switch that one to tens.
Technically, the fatter the string, the more it gets picked up and the bigger the sound. It also tends to stay in tune better. Flip side, lighter strings allow lower action. So its a trade-off that is down to personal taste and the style you play.
i use .10's because .09's just feel flimsy and bend too easily, and i occassionally tune to drop c and .10's get the job done but i would prefer .11's for that
Hybrid Ernie Ball slinkys for me. Best of both worlds really.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Page 1 of 2