Hey UG

I recently acquired around $160 (Canadian, so like $130 US$) and I wanted to get a distortion pedal with it. I have a crate V50 and I just can't get the sound I'm looking for out of it. So tomorrow I"m going to go out to the store to try me some pedals.

Basically I"m looking for a Megadeth type distortion but also something that can be versatile and do stuff like Iron Maiden but also do heavier stuff. The thing is at low volumes my amp loses All distortion and when soloing it sounds pretty much like it's on the clean channel.

I've been looking at:
Metal Muff
Vox Satchurator
MI Audio Crunch box
Digitech Hardwire Metal

Any other suggestions to try out? I might be able to go just a tad bit higher if there's really something special.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
I like the Metal Muff. Don't know if this would be perfect for you as I don't play what you play, but ProCoRats are also great dis. pedals.

Have you considered an overdrive or boost instead? It'll probably sound better and more "natural" if you know what I mean.
MI Audio Crunch Box is a sweet dist. pedal. It won't do modern metal though, by the way.
Quote by Ghold125
MI audio...beats the **** out of the MM

not enough gain for metal. though it does sound great.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by saltysnail
Have you considered an overdrive or boost instead? It'll probably sound better and more "natural" if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean and I looked into that but there just isn't the right distortion on this amp and there's almost no distortion at low volumes and I don't know if a boost will help with that.

Does anyone know if the Satchurator would be able to do some heavy rythm playing? Or is it more for lead tones and such?
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
The Satchurator is damn decent. I personally want 1. But prob not gonna get it cause i dont need it, but it probably will give u the sound ur lookin 4
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by sg622
not enough gain for metal. though it does sound great.

Debatable.

The Crunch Box can handle classic metal.
Quote by Mitchell?
MI Audio Crunch Box is a sweet dist. pedal. It won't do modern metal though, by the way.

ill second that, the Crunch Box is quality
Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe one of those Blackstar distortion pedals with a tube in it. Forgot their names.

Blackstar HT-Distx?
Yeah if they have it I'll try it but I think it might be a little bit out of my budget.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
Ok so I have another question.
If I get the Metal muff would it be smart to get an Eq? I heard it helps a lot to get the right tone.
I was thinking about getting the Mxr 10 or 6 band Eq.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
EHX Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker - ~$80
Zendrive - ~$200
Fulltone OCD - ~$160
MXR M-133 Micro Amp - ~$80
Ibanez TS9 - ~100
BBE Sonic Stomp Sonic Maximizer - ~$100

Those are the ones that come to mind. All prices American.
also check out the MXR dime distortion, for at thick heavy crunchy sound.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.