I ran a search for this and couldn't come up with much. I was wondering, how much affect if any does shape have on sound? I was thinking since sound is just vibration, any alteration in a shape could affect that could it not? for instance if you took an RG and a jem that were virtually identical except for the monkey grip would the two produce a different sound?
i think thats probly the smallest thing behind, pickups, string size/maker, wood type, amp, pedals, how the person plays.. then maybe shape.. unless it was like a guitar with a neck and a pickup and no body, then it might come into play
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I think theres bigger things than that to effect your overall sound, shape is an extremely minimal difference in sound if at all. Wood is far more important as are pickups, amp, electronics, whether its set neck or bolt on.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
People have said that the RR1 sounds kinda thin because of its shape. The sound starts under where you pluck the strings then vibrates out. A monkey grip wouldn't matter that much.
Quote by irishstang_87
Americans. And I'm American. But Americans in general piss me off.

Quote by MightyAl
But they all fall under the catagory i like to call sh!tcore.

Quote by Union Jake
Oh and BTW i didn't start it, i was like WTF at first but then everyone else did it, and i didn't wanna be left out,
Last edited by monotony777 at Jan 28, 2009,
Yes, the shape of an electric guitar does affect the sound. Here is a simple explanation. The voltage signal coming out of the guitar is created by magnetic field perturbations caused by string vibration. The string vibration is influenced somewhat by the vibration of the guitar body. The vibration of the guitar body is influenced by its shape and material properties. So different guitar body shapes will have some influence on how the strings vibrate.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
It does... But about as much as having a set neck vs. a bolt on neck does sustain... Which btw has been scientifically tested and bolt ons have *slightly* more at most frequency ranges.

So get the guitar that looks and feels right to you. The shape is basically unimportant.
Quote by RadioMuse
It does... But about as much as having a set neck vs. a bolt on neck does sustain... Which btw has been scientifically tested and bolt ons have *slightly* more at most frequency ranges.

So get the guitar that looks and feels right to you. The shape is basically unimportant.
I agree with you. I don't hear any difference in tone or sustain between guitars with bolt-on necks and those with set-thru or neck-thru-body construction. The one undeniable advantage that set-thru or neck-thru construction offers is playability at the higher frets. The big block of wood where the bolt-on necks attach to the body is definitely somewhat of an impediment; however, if one has only played on guitars with bolt-on necks, he/she would probably never notice.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
The main aspect of body shape is how much wood mass each shape has. There is mdoe wood in a Les Paul body than an SG body, and that is the main (in fact almost only) reason why a Les Paul and SG sound different even though they are often made with exactly the same type of wood and use the same sort of pickups and electronics.

Get an alder Strat and an alder Les Paul and the LP will still sound deeper, thicker and have more sustain, simply because there is more wood in an LP body. Get an alder Firebird body and you'll get an even thicker tone with even more sustain than the LP.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
what about an ibanez ICX120? I haven't compared it to anything else directly, but the body is kind of oddly shaped
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
More wood = More sustain
Though not that noticeable
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
they actually do. not a big difference but they do. strat styles are more rounded in tone and things like V's are more open. headstock shape also apparently makes a big difference, but mroe for sustain. v shaped anything is supposed to have more sustain/body mass ratio. dont quote me on this, i just hear this sometimes and i somewhat agree.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by KillrBuckeye
I agree with you. I don't hear any difference in tone or sustain between guitars with bolt-on necks and those with set-thru or neck-thru-body construction. The one undeniable advantage that set-thru or neck-thru construction offers is playability at the higher frets. The big block of wood where the bolt-on necks attach to the body is definitely somewhat of an impediment; however, if one has only played on guitars with bolt-on necks, he/she would probably never notice.

maybe it's quality? my old mexican strat ahd almost no sustain compared to my jackson and the LTD i have right now has a bit more than my strat but way less than my jackson. my jackson is neck thru and the other two are bolt ons..
tone wise though, bolt and neck thru do sound different. bolt on's seem to have a bit more tone or sound fuller or something. a little different.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by MrFlibble
The main aspect of body shape is how much wood mass each shape has. There is mdoe wood in a Les Paul body than an SG body, and that is the main (in fact almost only) reason why a Les Paul and SG sound different even though they are often made with exactly the same type of wood and use the same sort of pickups and electronics.

Get an alder Strat and an alder Les Paul and the LP will still sound deeper, thicker and have more sustain, simply because there is more wood in an LP body. Get an alder Firebird body and you'll get an even thicker tone with even more sustain than the LP.

+1

isn't resonance the opposite, though? the lighter, the more resonance? kind of why it's a balancing act, and heavier isn't always better...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always heard its rather the mass/weight rather than the actual SHAPE*.

Thinner guitars sound different from thicker guitars. SG or Flying V vs LP. However, the grade of wood and construction overshadows that factor much more. I've heard really crappy thin sounding LPs that weighed heavier then Rosie O'Donald.
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

LOL my petty doubts :P You're right though