I'm eying a Ibanez RG5EX1 and I've heard that it's trem system is good but bad. I know it stays in tune very well and I've played it and the whole thing is awesome but... I've heard that it's a pain in the ass to change strings, the guy at GC said it's best to change one string at a time which seems annoying. Also, he said that it's really annoying to go into lower tunings. Like dropped D wouldn't be a problem but he said anything lower than that is a pain. So I'm having mixed feelings about getting it, the rest of the guitar is freakin' sweet though. Anyone have the same guitar or something similar that can give me some insight?

P.S I think it's an Edge III Double Locking but i'm not entirely sure.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Well its hard to change tunings so you better be wanting to stay in one tuning if you want a floyd. Its not that hard to change strings or tune you just have to learn the right way but once you do its really easy.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yeah I'll be staying in standard but what if I wanted to go in dropped d or half step once in a while?

Last edited by MasterExploder0 at Jan 28, 2009,
You really should change the strings one at a time to keep some tension on the Bridge
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
well from personal experience, they are fine in standard, drop d, half step down, and drop d flat. It started coming out of tune for me when i got lower. but i went a cheaper version of RG. and yes, change strings one at a time or your bridge will pull too far back and its a big pain to get it back into original settings. You will need an "L" wrench to mess with the strings.
Quote by MasterExploder0
Yeah I'll be staying in standard but what if I wanted to go in dropped d or half step once in a while?

You may be able to rig it up to do drop d but its gonna be pretty much impossible to go back and forth from half steps down then back up.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You may be able to rig it up to do drop d but its gonna be pretty much impossible to go back and forth from half steps down then back up.

So would I have to do anything special to go to drop d?

Quote by MasterExploder0
So would I have to do anything special to go to drop d?

Im not sure ive heard of it being done but I dont know how to do it
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112