Anyone else here fish? I got a few questions, I just recently took up fishing after being taught the basics from a family friend who gave me his lucky 9ft Catalyst rod ^_^

Specs of the rod: Catalyst, kahawai, 9Ft solid tip-2 section, rock rod c/w 60-120gr

Can someone explain to me what these all mean in a very simple manner? Also, I plan to surf cast (from the beach) and I am still looking for a reel/winder and all that, as well as hooks and sinkers. I am hoping to catch some relatively medium to larger sized fish, can you give me a lowdown on what I would want? Also, what bait should I use? Worms? Where can I buy worms?

EDIT: My rod isn't very flexible for the record.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Last edited by hazardmaster at Jan 29, 2009,
define medium to large fish. like pike and bass or like ocean-big fish. and worms are basically sold at any gas station where i live. Wal-mart carries worms too. as for bait, it depends on where you are. Just talk to people who fish the lake you plan on fishing in and see what they are using. Generally, fisherman are nice people. Also, around here on the radio there is a sportsman's report, which tells things like what people are catching and what the fish are hitting on. Some colored lures with hit better, some shapes will hit better; it's all depends on where you are. Worms are universal, but won't work everywhere.
Go to West Virginia and just throw the hook in the water.

Works every ****ing time, it's flawless.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by connor045
oh....i read the title wrong. thought it said "Fisting"
sorry no help here.

Silly 09er....mmm feels good to finally say that...

and yes TS...i love fishing....it is FUCKING EXHILARATING.
For beach fishing, worms should work, they always work for any fish. But just look around for anyone else thats fishing there, for 2 reasons.

1. If no one is fishing there, there must be no fish around.
2. If you find a few people there, ask them what works and what doesnt. Fisher guys are nice people

Some basics on hooks and sinkers:

1. The bigger the hook, the bigger the mouth of the fish. Small hooks can still hook up bigger fish, it works better because it can get into the fish mouth easier and the fish is less likely to detect it. However, too small and weak and it might just snap in half in a bigger fish's mouth.

2. The bigger the sinker, the further you can cast, but a stiffer rod is needed for larger sinkers. Everything needs to be balanced well for the perfect cast. Too heavy a sinker and a flexy road will result in a phailed cast.

3. The heavier the sinker, the less feel you get when hooking up a fish. You dont really get to feel the fish nibbling on your bait. Heavy sinkers also tend to bury themselves under ground. So you need to get it all just right..

For beginners i would suggest some small lake or pond fishing first to get a feel for the whole thing. But good luck to you sir..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by dethead666
Sorry i noodle if anyone needs tips on noodling i'll be happy to help.

What is noodling?

And also, what are the best times to fish at?
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Quote by GogglesVK

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by hazardmaster
What is noodling?

And also, what are the best times to fish at?

That's a very broad question. It all depends on tides, what techniques you're using, temperature, type of fish, location etc. etc., but dawn/dusk is generally the default answer.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by connor045
oh....i read the title wrong. thought it said "Fisting"
sorry no help here.

Same here
Hi-5
NOODLING:

First you strip to the waist and clamber into the river. Next, you bend under water and rootle blindly along the muddy riverbank with your bare hands. When you find a promising hole, you waggle your fingers - or toes - so alluringly that a large catfish locks its jaws around your arm or leg. Then you simply wrestle the 100lbs (45kg) giant out of the water and serve it fried with cayenne pepper... source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/may/30/sport.usa thing is, you don't know what's living in that hole
Last edited by n2dabloo at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by BrockTandem
Real men use a harpoon.

You need to go out to the sea for that, and I don't have a boat.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Quote by GogglesVK

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by hazardmaster
You need to go out to the sea for that, and I don't have a boat.

Well if you live by any ponds or banks its pretty easy to noodle if you ain't worried about the chance of a disemboweled hand or fingers. All you got to do is first get drunk as hell if you don't then A. it's not half as fun and B. you'll feel alot more pain then you'd like. Now go to the edge of the lake and find a little nesting spot and ram your hand in it and shake around until you get bit...hopefully it was a fish and not a snapping turtle or snake. But if thats a little out of the question if you have any shallow areas where bigguns play you can harpoon there you just have to be patient but you don't need a boat to go harpooning unless your planning on harpooning whales.
ah yes I suck at english terms when it comes to fishing, but beach fishing the 60-120gr action seems to be pretty nice. There are several ways to fish there, using "heavy" sinks to get say a baitfish or some worms on a hook far out the coast and down to the bottom. Just aim for sand spots if you can see any among the weed.

Otherwise try some active fishing using lures. (can't remember the english name lol) - Spoons there we go, I've caught many trout near the coastlines using such lures.

in lakes and ponds I've tried wobblers and spinners etc. Caught some pikes and perchs. Fishing rocks.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by hazardmaster
Anyone else here fish?

Quite avidly.

Quote by hazardmaster
I got a few questions, I just recently took up fishing after being taught the basics from a family friend who gave me his lucky 9ft Catalyst rod ^_^

Specs of the rod: Catalyst, kahawai, 9Ft solid tip-2 section, rock rod c/w 60-120gr

Can someone explain to me what these all mean in a very simple manner?

Catalyst Kahawai is just the brand and specific rod.

9ft is, well...

...the length of the rod.

Solid-tip means that the end of the rod is solid and more durable, versus being made of hollow graphite/fiberglass.

2 section means that the rod can be disassembled (pulled apart in the middle) for easy storage.

I'm not sure what rock rod means.

The 60-120 indicates the gear-ratio of the reel, which mandates how fast it takes in line.

Quote by hazardmaster
Also, I plan to surf cast (from the beach) and I am still looking for a reel/winder and all that, as well as hooks and sinkers. I am hoping to catch some relatively medium to larger sized fish, can you give me a lowdown on what I would want? Also, what bait should I use? Worms? Where can I buy worms?

EDIT: My rod isn't very flexible for the record.

I haven't done much sea-fishing (I'm a bass fisherman) but I have done enough to know what bait to use.

Whenever we fished from the shore we used squid. You can buy it frozen at any bait shop.

We used a heavy drop rig similar to this but with two hooks on each side:

As for the reel, I would take the rod to a shop and ask them what they would recommend.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.