Page 1 of 2
If this is the wrong forum, mods either move or close it please, so you can redirect me

Well, here's the deal.

I've been playing a year and a half now, I can sweep pick to an extent, I'm an ok soloist when it comes down to it, and I'm a decent riffer. My problem is, I'm always trying to create riffs that match up to my idols, like John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Guthrie Govan. My problem is that whenever I write music, if I dont like it, no matter how long it took me to write, I'll toss it. I've been told by many people that the songs I write are incredible music wise, but I'm never satisfied with what I write, I always feel it's too fast, not fast enough, doesnt have the right melody, it doesnt fit with this, and so on and so forth.

I need a way out of this, or I'm afraid I'm going to end up losing my lust for the instrument in my quest to out riff and write my idols....this is a stupid thing I know, but for me it seems to be subconcious, and I never really try to do it.

Anyone know how to get out of this?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

just record the things that you write wait a week and come back to it or write it down then come back later
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by valennic
If this is the wrong forum, mods either move or close it please, so you can redirect me

Well, here's the deal.

I've been playing a year and a half now, I can sweep pick to an extent, I'm an ok soloist when it comes down to it, and I'm a decent riffer. My problem is, I'm always trying to create riffs that match up to my idols, like John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Guthrie Govan. My problem is that whenever I write music, if I dont like it, no matter how long it took me to write, I'll toss it. I've been told by many people that the songs I write are incredible music wise, but I'm never satisfied with what I write, I always feel it's too fast, not fast enough, doesnt have the right melody, it doesnt fit with this, and so on and so forth.

I need a way out of this, or I'm afraid I'm going to end up losing my lust for the instrument in my quest to out riff and write my idols....this is a stupid thing I know, but for me it seems to be subconcious, and I never really try to do it.

Use it to help drive you and get better. You've only been playing a year and a half, you have a ways to go.
Feed your mind.
I have the same problem except nothing I write is good. Just have patience and learn more music theory.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by Firebread
Use it to help drive you and get better. You've only been playing a year and a half, you have a ways to go.

I know, therein lies the problem, I've been playing a LOT shorter of a time than they have, and yet I'm pushing myself to write and play equally to them, it's really frustrating, I do it unintentionally >_<

Quote by reedplaysgeetar
just record the things that you write wait a week and come back to it or write it down then come back later

Well, I do that.

Whenever I come back to it, it always feels sub par, and I end up deleting it

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

Well, here's the deal.

Well all I can see you being able to do is experiment with other genres, this will take you away from your idols because they don't play those genres. Also this will help you find yourself musically. Last but not least, there's a saying that is very important to this problem. Shoot for the stars and you'll at least hit the moon. Meaning If you aim really high, you'll at least get to where your comfortable and happy.

EDIT: Don't delete your work. you may start a new project and it may miss something, one of your other peices may fit with it you know.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by BeastTheBand at Jan 28, 2009,
Don't try and make yourself write material up to par to your idols, you will always feel it won't be good enough.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by metaldud536
When you get hemorrhoid, that's when you're pushing too hard.

When they pop you're pushing too hard.
Quote by BeastTheBand
Well all I can see you being able to do is experiment with other genres, this will take you away from your idols because they don't play those genres. Also this will help you find yourself musically. Last but not least, there's a saying that is very important to this problem. Shoot for the stars and you'll at least hit the moon. Meaning If you aim really high, you'll at least get to where your comfortable and happy.

Well, I've dabbled in Blues, Jazz, Metal, Rock, Pop, and some Neo Classical.

Any reccomendations? The guitarists I mentioned play a bit of everything...which is mainly why they're my idols.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I know, therein lies the problem, I've been playing a LOT shorter of a time than they have, and yet I'm pushing myself to write and play equally to them, it's really frustrating, I do it unintentionally >_<

It's ok I do it to. I've been driven to play somewhere between 4 and 12 hours every day, and my abilities are increasing at a rate that I'm happy with. You don't need to be writing music that matches now, just practice to the point where you realize you'll be able to in the future. A penny in the bank today will be add up to a lot more in three years than if you spend it now.
Feed your mind.
Quote by valennic

Well, here's the deal.

You've only been playing for a year and a half and you can write music people find incredible music wise? That how long I've been playing and I can't do jack.

Teach me musical composition now please......pleeeeeease...

Anyway, like the poster above said, you haven't been playing for a long time. You've got plenty of time to work on things and surely plenty of other things to learn. Just keep studying the theory, melodic control and whatnot and it'll be okay. Go to ProjectW and look up some guitar books if you need them.
Well that's a toughie then lol. Maybe find something speed oriented? Maybe even try searching for music you havent even heard of before. Like today was the first time I heard of Terror Metal, so i tried to experiment with it myself. It's quite intriguing what you can come up with. There's gotta be something you haven't tried out yet. Hell even search google for types metal or types of rock whatever has your curiosity going.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
maybe not sucking would help. then your riffs might not suck. i believe that would solve your problem.
I have no opinion on this matter.
dont get rid of your old stuff man it's useful for gaining confidence by seeing how far you've come, if nothing else, dave mustaine has said that he writes all his little riffs an melodies in a diary and comes back to them.... but he got kicked out of metallica so meh....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Honestly? Play with a band. You'll have 3 or 4 minds working on transforming a riff instead of just 1. I had a few riffs and didn't know what to do with them. I joined a band, and we made 3 songs in our first 2 practices.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Did you start with basics or did you just go straight to the advanced stuff because you might want to go over your training regimen. If you had gotten good at the basic stuff it would really help your advanced techniques.
Quote by Zugunruhe
maybe not sucking would help. then your riffs might not suck. i believe that would solve your problem.

Humorous response definitely needed

Quote by Firebread
It's ok I do it to. I've been driven to play somewhere between 4 and 12 hours every day, and my abilities are increasing at a rate that I'm happy with. You don't need to be writing music that matches now, just practice to the point where you realize you'll be able to in the future. A penny in the bank today will be add up to a lot more in three years than if you spend it now.

Well, I practice when I can, which hasnt been much lately, because I've had so much homework, but that's generally what I do.

So basically just slow down?
Quote by chiselite
You've only been playing for a year and a half and you can write music people find incredible music wise? That how long I've been playing and I can't do jack.

Teach me musical composition now please......pleeeeeease...

Anyway, like the poster above said, you haven't been playing for a long time. You've got plenty of time to work on things and surely plenty of other things to learn. Just keep studying the theory, melodic control and whatnot and it'll be okay. Go to ProjectW and look up some guitar books if you need them.

It just comes to me man....I'm not sure how to teach you.

ProjectW? Thanks

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Guys, if you have responses shoot them towards my page, I'm getting off for upwards of a week.

For any help.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

Well, I practice when I can, which hasnt been much lately, because I've had so much homework, but that's generally what I do.

So basically just slow down?

Go as fast as you're comfortable with, just know that your stuff may not blow them away now, but you can in the future, it just takes time, so keep pursuing! Also I know what you mean by little time to practice, I just had mid terms and I could barely play.
Feed your mind.
given that the first thing you listed was your "sweep picking" skillz, I'm deeming you a fag right off the bat. then I read the rest of your post and confirmed my suspicions. you're talking way too much lingo

there is much more to guitar than metal....turn your distortion off and try playing along to a rhythm....write something groovy, develop a sense of time and rhythm, something that will get your head bobbing. after you've done that, hit the boost and add in whatever you think will sound good on top of it.

start simple by following your chord changes by just arpeggiating them out, no need for all the fancy ****. start simple start simple start simple
yea dude whats the rush? you have years and years to write good music, just take your time. work on music until its good, dont trash it!
You give yourself WAY too much credit.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by mgags7
given that the first thing you listed was your "sweep picking" skillz, I'm deeming you a fag right off the bat. then I read the rest of your post and confirmed my suspicions. you're talking way too much lingo

there is much more to guitar than metal....turn your distortion off and try playing along to a rhythm....write something groovy, develop a sense of time and rhythm, something that will get your head bobbing. after you've done that, hit the boost and add in whatever you think will sound good on top of it.

start simple by following your chord changes by just arpeggiating them out, no need for all the fancy ****. start simple start simple start simple

Asshole comments is asshole keep your ignorant comments to yourself liking metal a fag does not make.
Quote by valennic

Well, here's the deal.

You sound like your a clone of me. This is exactly how I felt a few months back. What I did was I started to jam more often with friends (1-2 times a week), always with a drummer and another guitarist/bassist. Just through some of your more jam worthy riffs out there and go with it. This might not work at all, but hey it worked for me.
Last edited by DerAj2 at Jan 28, 2009,
*makes jerk-off motion*

Don't stress it, you might be getting a little too big for your boots there. You are not yet a musical genius on the guitar, your composition style is still developing, as are your playing skills.

My advice; Never ignore the power in simplicity, and never compose something for the sake of it, always try to make something new and fresh, try to push your music in different direction instead of regurgitating your music idols technique and song structure/genre.

Oh, and don't take the advice of the musically ignorant if they tell you that your stuff is 'incredible music wise'
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Last edited by Hot Pants at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by dethead666
Asshole comments is asshole keep your ignorant comments to yourself liking metal a fag does not make.

No, but perhaps a lack of diversity in other musical styles does. And he didn't deem you a fag for liking metal. You were deemed a fag because the first thing you listed was your sweep picking skills which, indirectly, led to us knowing that you think speed=good, and a faster guitar player is a better guitar player, which is just flat-out wrong.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by mgags7

and i completely agree with him
I find myself on the same boat sometimes, occasionally I come up with some good riffs, only to find out later that it sounds like garbage.
But most of the time all I do is learn other artists' songs, and when I don't, I just sit in front of the computer lurking UG. I should do more improv/songwriting, but I don't know where to start.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Froboarder
No, but perhaps a lack of diversity in other musical styles does. And he didn't deem you a fag for liking metal. You were deemed a fag because the first thing you listed was your sweep picking skills which, indirectly, led to us knowing that you think speed=good, and a faster guitar player is a better guitar player, which is just flat-out wrong.

he was talking to TS not me i was just defending TS and TS never said a faster guitar player was better are you just pulling this stuff outta of your ass?
Quote by dethead666
he was talking to TS not me i was just defending TS and TS never said a faster guitar player was better are you just pulling this stuff outta of your ass?

Sorry, I meant to quote TS, not you. And if you had taken the time to read what I had posted, you'd see that I am, in fact, NOT pulling this out of my arse.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder

thank you...you're absolutely correct

I love metal, but that certainly doesn't mean it's the only thing I play or try to emulate. You'll never learn like that.
Quote by valennic
Well, I've dabbled in Blues, Jazz, Metal, Rock, Pop, and some Neo Classical.

Any reccomendations? The guitarists I mentioned play a bit of everything...which is mainly why they're my idols.

Try some post rock, that should get you thinking outside the box.

Some cool bands are, God is an Astronaut, 65daysofstatic, and Sigur Ros.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
You seem like you've done more than me in a year and a half.

Quote by aznrockerdude
I find myself on the same boat sometimes, occasionally I come up with some good riffs, only to find out later that it sounds like garbage.
But most of the time all I do is learn other artists' songs, and when I don't, I just sit in front of the computer lurking UG. I should do more improv/songwriting, but I don't know where to start.

You and me are alike my friend...
LARGE TEXT
Last edited by Holy. at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Froboarder
Sorry, I meant to quote TS, not you. And if you had taken the time to read what I had posted, you'd see that I am, in fact, NOT pulling this out of my arse.

oh m'kay whatever i'm done tryin to argue online...my advice to TS is to slow down whatever he's trying to learn until he's got the riff down good enough we're he can speed up his tempo.
Quote by mgags7

get off your high horse...now

so because he practices sweep picking, a very difficult technique and something a lot of experienced guitarists, let alone a beginner guitarist, don't have the balls to do, and you're calling him a fag? so because he told us what he can and can't do technique wise...he's talking lingo and being utterly complex about things?

i mean jesus talk about purists...

also, he clearly stated that he's tried learning more than just metal, so apparently you can't read or just aren't paying attention to his posts.

Quote by Froboarder

so if i tell you right now that i just practiced my sweep picking when i was playing guitar a few minutes ago, i'm a fag?

so basically, any guitarist who sweep picks is automatically a fag considering it's a speedy and difficult technique?

hell i'll just stick to my A minor pentatonic scale and repeat my blues licks 30x over so i can be cool now!

my god people, you were blessed with the gift of reason, use it for christ's sake.

and my advice to you TS, is keep at it. you've only been playing for a year and a half, you have a very long way to go. as long as you keep practicing and keep at your techniques you'll find that one day you'll become proficient enough to make music using the techniques you've learned over time.

it all takes time and practice, no one becomes John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Guthrie Govan in a year and a half
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
so if i tell you right now that i just practiced my sweep picking when i was playing guitar a few minutes ago, i'm a fag?

so basically, any guitarist who sweep picks is automatically a fag considering it's a speedy and difficult technique?

hell i'll just stick to my A minor pentatonic scale and repeat my blues licks 30x over so i can be cool now!

my god people, you were blessed with the gift of reason, use it for christ's sake.

Don't give advice you cannot follow. I never said that anyone who sweep picks is a fag. If you had the intelligence to finish reading the sentence, you'd see where I was going with the sweep picking bit.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Waterboy799
get off your high horse...now

so because he practices sweep picking, a very difficult technique and something a lot of experienced guitarists, let alone a beginner guitarist, don't have the balls to do, and you're calling him a fag? so because he told us what he can and can't do technique wise...he's talking lingo and being utterly complex about things?

i mean jesus talk about purists...

also, he clearly stated that he's tried learning more than just metal, so apparently you can't read or just aren't paying attention to his posts.

and my advice to you TS, is keep at it. you've only been playing for a year and a half, you have a very long way to go. as long as you keep practicing and keep at your techniques you'll find that one day you'll become proficient enough to make music using the techniques you've learned over time.

it all takes time and practice, no one becomes John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Guthrie Govan in a year and a half

A lengthy version of what I was trying to say

good sir here you go.
(Invalid img)
I've been playing for 3.5 years, and I've only written one complete song (which is 2 minutes long. It's an acoustic instrumental) . I really have the same problem as you, except I don't even ****ing try anymore. I'm convinced I'll never write anything I actually enjoy to listen to, so I don't try. It's horrible. I guess I need to stock up on my theory again (I forgot a lot of it), and just practice. I guess that's what I'd advise you to do, which is what everyone else is advising you to do. So there ya go!
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Page 1 of 2