Hey guys,

I've decided to try to exchange my annoying Takamine at the shop. I'm aiming for an Ibanez but if that doesn't work I think I might just try to sell it on eBay. Someone out there must like a guitar that sounds like mine.

I was looking at guitars online and I saw Tanglewoods on a local shop's site :

http://www.guitarcollection.my/products.php?cat=39

I can't find much about them online so any feedback or reviews or anything?
I've heard good things about Tanglewoods.

Conversely speaking, I've heard plenty of bad things about Ibanez
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Really? Because that shop doesn't really have much and Ibanezs look good on paper.
I would go for a Tanglewood much sooner than I would an Ibanez. Mainly because I'd rather not play a guitar than an Ibanez acoustic.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ Hahaha yeah. They are also much cheaper. That solid cedar is really affordable.

But to buy that I'd have to sell the Tak online and I have no idea how to do that or where to start. I don't even know how to ship a guitar anywhere besides in a car.

That shop is the Ibanez distributor around here but I don't really like their selection of guitars. Should I sell it or bring it back?
I agree with cap. Oh, and are you selling it online at MF or something?

You'll get better money selling it yourself through craigslist. Shops and websites won't give you a good deal in any way shape or form.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
tanglewood are pure quality... i have a TW 55 DLX that is a brilliant instrument. Great build quality and really playable.
Oh...umm...where are you?

If you're in Europe, then yeah, craigslist is just a north america thing. And MF is musician's friend.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Umm Malaysia.

This is going really offtopic but I appreciate the replies .

I took the guitar to a good shop and they said the action was too high, the frets were uneven and the bass strings were a little muted. They all looked a little baffled as well but the one thing they all said was that the guitar was a beautiful guitar and well built. They suggested I change the nut and saddle to bone and change the strings. The recommended strings were both phosphor bronze and my Martin strings are PB too... not sure what to do now. It's expensive to keep changing strings and to change the nut and saddle to bone. It's also not guaranteed to solve anything.

Next I'm probably going to try to get a refund or an exchange. I just don't know what to say yet. The guitar isn't defective... well not really.
^ Generally when you change nuts and saddles you change strings as well. It's just easier. You have to pull out the saddle from under the strings.

You can just save the money next time on the re-stringing. It's one of those things you should learn to do anyway.
Equipment:

Don't take these Ibanez bashers into account, it's just the forum. On HC, they're fairly spoken of and i trust grown men on HC more than i trust the teenagers that use UG.
^ Tell that to the Ibanez my church has. It's the worst thing I've ever put my hands on. I felt dirty after I played it.
- electronics broke
- fret buzz everywhere
- the topwood is 2x thicker than any other top I've touched. And I'm not exaggerating.

As for this forum, yes, there are a some teens. But the only teens who hang out in an Acoustic forum tend to be mature(because acoustic guitars aren't "cool"). Don't group us with those pit-monkeys. We're newer guitarists, yes. But I'll bet you that the bunch of us who hang out in here are still a lot more knowledgeable than many older folk.
Equipment:

Cap, you're absolutely right.

I mean, I can talk knowledge circles around people who have been playing for about as long as I've been alive.

We know what we're talking about.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Hypnotisation
Don't take these Ibanez bashers into account, it's just the forum. On HC, they're fairly spoken of and i trust grown men on HC more than i trust the teenagers that use UG.

HOHO! Look at Mr. Sabotage UG here! I'm tempted to make jokes about grown men and the internet, but I'll abstain for now. If you don't like the forum, good for you. Go away. I'm sure you know more than all of us anyway.

For the thread starter...

The reason many Ibanez acoustics get a bad rap is because a good number of the models are made to catch the eye of electric players hoping to pick up a wild looking acoustic. They often look better than they sound and have been known to have dumpy parts and miserable setups. But I'm speaking in generalities, of course. There are probably exceptions.

Edit: Browsing through Ibanez's website, I see they offer only one guitar without built in electronics. Weird.

Tanglewood guitars seem to be pretty cool though. The few I've tried out seem decent enough and fairly inexpensive.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jan 30, 2009,
Aren't Takemine guitars, pretty good? I like some of the Tanglewood's I have seen, but Tak's were generally better I thought.

Is it a low end Tak?

Also, if it has never been set up, pretty much all, but the most expensive guitars, benefit from a set up.

Changing to a bone nut is a good idea, maybe the saddle too.

What exactly is wrong with your Tak?
Takamine, just like any other guitar maker, has a few bad ones come out of their shops.

Not really a reflection on the company, just an understood fact that not all of their guitars will come out perfect.

Conversely speaking, the amount of bad ones Takamine puts out is very, very low, which is why they are considered to be such high-quality guitars.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Takamine, just like any other guitar maker, has a few bad ones come out of their shops.

Not really a reflection on the company, just an understood fact that not all of their guitars will come out perfect.

Conversely speaking, the amount of bad ones Takamine puts out is very, very low, which is why they are considered to be such high-quality guitars.

Well quite.

Is the guitar he is on about, worth more than the one he has? Eoither way, it will cost him more as he won't get anywhere near what he paid for the Tak.

I still think he should have it set up, bone nut and maybe saddle too.
^I completely agree with this.

I have a hard time believing he got one of the rare "lemon" Taks. You can tell when there's something wrong with one of them. They have a dull, dead sound and the neck just feels weird.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
To be fair, the guitar is anything a person could want. It looks good, stays in tune well, has no flaws whatsoever (except for a few uneven frets) and sounds extremely loud unplugged to boot. The tone just doesn't do it for me but I'm sure someone else would kill to have this guitar.

First option is to exchange it/ get a refund. That's going to be done today. If that fails (I've been praying hard for a few days), I'll try the bone nut and saddle. If THAT fails, live with it, new strings later on. Another option is to just sell it. I'm eying Tanglewoods if I have to go down that alley which is why this thread is even up.

The guitar is the highest end of the low end. =P.

EDIT :

Right, I've managed to exchange the Tak. I'm kinda sad to see it go. It's a real beauty. They took out another one to let me try and the sound was terrible. The spruce was also very light and it was generally not as beautiful as mine was. I also failed to mention the Martin strings on it so the one who buys that guitar (and if he/ she can appreciate the sound, which is perfect for soloing) will get an amazing instrument.

My new guitar is, as predicted, an Ibanez. It's a PF60SCE and made in China. Same specs as the Takamine :

Body Shape : Dreadnought
Body : Solid Spruce
Sides : Mahogany
Back : Mahogany
Neck : Mahogany
Fretboard : Rosewood
Binding : Cream

It comes with an onboard tuner which takes 2 AAA batteries. It's handy. The only problem is... the guitar is blue. I'll live with it though. The wood grains underneath the blueness are really beautiful too.

To match the prices, I got a Planet Waves (by D'Addario) strap and a new set of strings (PB D'Addario). Huzzah!

The sound is much deeper than the Tak but it's not as loud. It's also bigger (to me) because I'm small but the sound is worth it. It's not a very unique sound and not the 'I got to have that' sound but it does the trick. At least until I can buy that Guild guitar I tried out. It was 5x the price but 5x the sound and tone.

I wish the guitar wasn't blue but it wasn't really an option. The other PF60 also sounded really 'muddy' and the acoustic/ electric ones... well it was hard to 'get the sound out' if you get my drift.
Last edited by synctium at Feb 1, 2009,
Tanglewood's are generally quite loud and springy on on the lower strings. However, all of the Tangelwood's around the 600 pound mark I tried before eventually buying my Takamine didn't feel as nice to play and the volume diversity was not as big. Regardless of how hard you hit the strings, it still sounded really quite loud.

Don't buy Ibanez acoustic, trust me
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Dude, i came here to learn sex, not math.

Uncool.